Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

Purduevian

DHS still has a lack of things to do for people with small children or guests not into thrill rides.

Mermaid fit that bill, but so would another musical show.

IDK if it is much worse than AK right now.

DHS:
  1. Lightning McQueen
  2. MMRR
  3. Muppet Vision 3D
  4. Launch Bay
  5. TSMM
  6. Vacation Fun
  7. Walt Disney Presents
  8. BatB LIVE
  9. Disney Jr. Dance Party
  10. Frozen Sing-along
  11. Indy
  12. Jedi Training
  13. VotLM
AK:
  1. Affection Section
  2. Animation Experience
  3. Boneyard
  4. Conservation Station
  5. Discovery Island Trails
  6. Gorilla Falls
  7. It's Tough to be a Bug
  8. Kilimanjaro Safaris
  9. Maharajah Jungle Trek
  10. TriceraTop Spin
  11. Wildlife Express Train
  12. Na'vi River Journey
  13. Festival of the Lion King
  14. Finding Nemo- The Musical
  15. Whatever the Birdshow is now called

If these were the only things I could experience in a day. Personally I'm going to DHS.

UNCgolf

IDK if it is much worse than AK right now.

DHS:
  1. Lightning McQueen
  2. MMRR
  3. Muppet Vision 3D
  4. Launch Bay
  5. TSMM
  6. Vacation Fun
  7. Walt Disney Presents
  8. BatB LIVE
  9. Disney Jr. Dance Party
  10. Frozen Sing-along
  11. Indy
  12. Jedi Training
  13. VotLM
AK:
  1. Affection Section
  2. Animation Experience
  3. Boneyard
  4. Conservation Station
  5. Discovery Island Trails
  6. Gorilla Falls
  7. It's Tough to be a Bug
  8. Kilimanjaro Safaris
  9. Maharajah Jungle Trek
  10. TriceraTop Spin
  11. Wildlife Express Train
  12. Na'vi River Journey
  13. Festival of the Lion King
  14. Finding Nemo- The Musical
  15. Whatever the Birdshow is now called

If these were the only things I could experience in a day. Personally I'm going to DHS.

I'm the opposite -- I'd rather do Animation Experience, Gorilla Falls, Discovery Island Trails, Kiliminjaro Safaris, Maharajah Jungle Trek, and Na'vi River Journey than anything on the DHS list except MMRR (although the Safari beats out MMRR too).

Purduevian

I'm the opposite -- I'd rather do Animation Experience, Gorilla Falls, Discovery Island Trails, Kiliminjaro Safaris, Maharajah Jungle Trek, and Na'vi River Journey than anything on the DHS list except MMRR (although the Safari beats out MMRR too).

Fair point, I'm sure it comes down to personal preference. I'm just saying the idea the VOLM is crowed only because there is nothing else for young kids to do in the park isn't really a good point. Also yes the safari is the best attraction on either list.

General Mayhem

I feel like Princess and the Frog doesn't have nearly big enough of a fan base to replace a power house like the Little Mermaid. Also only like 2 songs are good in PatF, it didn't even win best song...

Animaniac93-98

I feel like Princess and the Frog doesn't have nearly big enough of a fan base to replace a power house like the Little Mermaid. Also only like 2 songs are good in PatF, it didn't even win best song...

The Hunchback show in the same park ran for 7 years, and it was hardly Disney's biggest hit ever.

If the show is good people will watch it.

TrainsOfDisney

Princess & the Frog is one of 3 modern franchises that Disney chose to highlight on the current castle stage show.

But here’s the thing... Disney isn’t closing little mermaid because the show has lost popularity and they want to bring in a new show. They are closing it because they don’t want to spend the money for puppeteers and equity staff. They can use the “small theatre” as a convenient excuse.

Last edited:

RyMickey

The Hunchback show in the same park ran for 7 years, and it was hardly Disney's biggest hit ever.

If the show is good people will watch it.

I don't know if I'm simply looking back with rose-colored glasses, but the Hunchback show was fantastic.

Selfishly, I had looked forward in a year or two to taking my nephew to VOTM because, like others have said, it was one of the few things in the park for very young kids. But it was feeling a bit tired the last time a saw it a year or two ago.

JoeCamel

Princess & the Frog is one of 3 modern franchises that Disney chose to highlight on the current castle stage show.

But here’s the thing... Disney isn’t closing littler mermaid because it’s lost popularity and they want to bring in a new shows. They are closing it because they don’t want to spend the money for puppeteers and equity staff. They can use the “small theatre” as a convenient excuse.
Bingo

celluloid

But here’s the thing... Disney isn’t closing little mermaid because the show has lost popularity and they want to bring in a new show. They are closing it because they don’t want to spend the money for puppeteers and equity staff. They can use the “small theatre” as a convenient excuse.

Of course. What you said is exactly true. It is not a revenue maker to increase the merch for Little Mermaid a substantial amount vs the cost. This will be a lot of the strategy of WDW with this. Budget is just as much survival at this point as being able to convince the public it is safe enough to reopen.
Tom Sawyer's Island is a much similar reason. They don't see lowering the capacity for an island playground that does not make any substantial money while people are on it as worth it. They know park capacity will not be an issue to require it open as auxillary space for a long time. These are only the things we have heard of, we can be sure there will be more like playground areas, campfire and activities at the resorts and other things that seasonal and CP CMs often staff with little return on investment.

JoeCamel

Of course. What you said is exactly true. It is not a revenue maker to increase the merch for Little Mermaid a substantial amount vs the cost. This will be a lot of the strategy of WDW with this. Budget is just as much survival at this point as being able to convince the public it is safe enough to reopen.
Tom Sawyer's Island is a much similar reason. They don't see lowering the capacity for an island playground that does not make any substantial money while people are on it as worth it. They know park capacity will not be an issue to require it open as auxillary space for a long time. These are only the things we have heard of, we can be sure there will be more like playground areas, campfire and activities at the resorts and other things that seasonal and CP CMs often staff with little return on investment.
If they keep people off the island I hope the wildlife moves in.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
If you think the entire soundtrack from that movie doesn’t SLAP, then I dont know if your opinion is valid or not. (It was nominated for best animated film and song.)

Underrated movie doesn’t mean its bad movie. Look at Hercules, Hunchback, Emperor’s New Groove, A Goofy Movie, and Brother Bear.

Your opinion also doesn’t mean it’s a bad movie.

Finally, as others have said, as long as the attraction is good, people will watch it.

CanadianGordon

Honestly it'd be nice to see something new. Rehashing the same material over and over again makes it seem dated. While it's obvious it's closing because they want to cut the costs of the actors, let's get some new stuff in there.

drizgirl

Honestly it'd be nice to see something new. Rehashing the same material over and over again makes it seem dated. While it's obvious it's closing because they want to cut the costs of the actors, let's get some new stuff in there.
Nobody said they're putting something new in there.

Kate F

Nobody said they're putting something new in there.
If they’re just gonna leave that space empty for several years after closing this show, that’s frankly inexcusable in my book, especially considering this park needs as many attractions as it can get.

I’m a believer that the live shows in DHS have gotten stale and should be replaced (especially BatB), but if they’re just going to close and not be replaced by anything, then I am against it. If we could trust that Disney would immediately put something new in its place, then I’m all for it.

Kate F

If you think the entire soundtrack from that movie doesn’t SLAP, then I dont know if your opinion is valid or not. (It was nominated for best animated film and song.)

Underrated movie doesn’t mean its bad movie. Look at Hercules, Hunchback, Emperor’s New Groove, A Goofy Movie, and Brother Bear.

Your opinion also doesn’t mean it’s a bad movie.

Finally, as others have said, as long as the attraction is good, people will watch it.
That person has admitted they’re very picky when it comes to what Disney movies they like.

drizgirl

If they’re just gonna leave that space empty for several years after closing this show, that’s frankly inexcusable in my book, especially considering this park needs as many attractions as it can get.

I’m a believer that the live shows in DHS have gotten stale and should be replaced (especially BatB), but if they’re just going to close and not be replaced by anything, then I am against it. If we could trust that Disney would immediately put something new in its place, then I’m all for it.
I think we're all going to be shocked at how pared back everything is when they finally reopen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom