Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

The Grand Inquisitor

Maybe turn ‘Voyage of the Little Mermaid’ into an interactive upcharge experience in which guests pay a premium to receive a Little Mermaid themed cupcake and watch The Little Mermaid (not in 4K, of course)...

Gotta consider revenue opportunities, not just cost cutting, Bob.
I concur how about some Little Mermaid Instagram walls while we are at it. Bob loves those 😉

Kman101

Umm.. lion king has been running 22 years? So your post contradicts itself a bit.

If mermaid was being replaced with a similar quality show based on a new franchise, great. But mermaid is being replaced with..... nothing.

An example.... I loved the Aladdin show, I personally like Aladdin franchise better than frozen. But Frozen at the Hyperion at DCA is crazy good and was a good replacement.

It's about how the show is presented (you read my WHOLE post, correct?). I fully admit it's a contradiction. If they upgrade the sets and costumes for B&TB I'd have no complaints. Keep it forever. That's just me. I fully admit I can be a hypocrite on these kinds of things, LOL. I guess if guest feedback is great for the show then it doesn't matter what any of us think, lol.

I agree with you on Aladdin and Frozen. I miss Aladdin but Frozen looks very good.

Haymarket2008

Voyage was a fantastic addition to the park back in the early 90’s. They have, for the most part, not updated it to any form of modern tech. This isn’t the type of timeless retro Disney magic that is evoked from other shows. It is a relic of a bygone time. It absolutely needed to go.
(Also the fact that the Beauty and the Beast show is older than the film itself and hasn’t been replaced or upgraded in a major way is unforgivable)

UNCgolf

Nope I love it. Even better are the short waits for a pretty decent dark ride. Every first timer I take to Disney loves it as well. The only people that don't like it are the extremely harsh critics who expected the best from Disney (which will always disappoint people in this day and age).

There's nothing wrong with liking it (I seem to be one of the few people here that really enjoys NRJ), but you sound a little ridiculous when you make a broad sweeping statement like that last sentence. Unless you believe that something like half of the people who visit Disney are extremely harsh critics, it's pretty demonstrably false.

It's a ride that was built to draw huge crowds, and it just doesn't. It has been a failure for Disney compared to the money they spent and the space it takes up -- they could have built 2 or maybe even three rides in that area which would likely each be just as good as the actual Little Mermaid ride (with less impressive queues, of course).

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Maybe cause I only go to parks is for rides but Disney does need more rides. More thrilling too.

Disney does not exceed on either. Universal excells on rides and thrill rides. And if epic universe is anything like I expect, it will make Hollywood studios and Epcot non existent. And universal knows how to one up Disney when they are down. They are likely willing to not overlook any expense.

Jrb1979

Disney does not exceed on either. Universal excells on rides and thrill rides. And if epic universe is anything like I expect, it will make Hollywood studios and Epcot non existent. And universal knows how to one up Disney when they are down. They are likely willing to not overlook any expense.
I agree and the fact Universal is still doing construction while closed says a lot.

bryanfze55

I would put WDW or DL’s ride lineup against Universal Orlando any day. USO is very top heavy... has ten or so really good rides and then garbage. It’s not entirely fair, though. Disney has had many more years to build up their great rides, and most of them came before Iger/Chapek.

PiratesMansion

Meh. It was a decent show, but definitely ran longer than it should have.

And frankly, it's hard to defend the fact that they ran it for so long with no updates when in Tokyo, they were running this show...and this one has subsequently been replaced!

In terms of the Disney v. Universal discussion, I think that if all of Universal's work as of late was on par with the Harry Potter stuff, they'd be winning the "theme park wars", but frankly most of what they've done since Diagon have been lazy screen attractions. Disney's attractions, on average, have been more successful, if not perfect, since the last Potter expansion.

Which lineup you like better is subjective, but Disney has a more balanced collection of attractions. One of the problems of Universal is that everything is so FULL THROTTLE!!!11!1 that there's not really anything relaxing or ambient, whereas Disney has a better balance of thrill vs. non thrill attractions, and the balance will remain better even if Disney rushes in a bunch of thrill rides tomorrow. I get that Universal's staked their brand on constant adrenaline rushes and sensory overload, but there should be something to relax and catch your breath on besides seeing a show or riding ET.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

And frankly, it's hard to defend the fact that they ran it for so long with no updates when in Tokyo, they were running this show...and this one has subsequently been replaced!

Once you start comparing Tokyo to Florida it’s all extremely depressing. Lol.

The Grand Inquisitor

Wow! That looks really cool. Why cant they just build that to replace the show instead of the black box ride?

Jrb1979

I would put WDW or DL’s ride lineup against Universal Orlando any day. USO is very top heavy... has ten or so really good rides and then garbage. It’s not entirely fair, though. Disney has had many more years to build up their great rides, and most of them came before Iger/Chapek.
Maybe so but IMO I would take rides like the Hulk over anything Disney has. Then again I love roller coasters more then slow moving dark rides.

bryanfze55

Maybe so but IMO I would take rides like the Hulk over anything Disney has. Then again I love roller coasters more then slow moving dark rides.

Yeah that’s just personal preference. When I’m at Disney, I prefer the heavily themed dark rides. You can’t get those anywhere else (At least to the same extent). Rides like the Hulk are really a dime a dozen. And this isn’t just pro-Disney nonsense: I feel the same way about Rock n Roller Coaster and Incredicoaster... there is a place for those kinds of rides, but in my opinion they belong in parks where you can get an annual pass for $100, not in parks that demand well into the four figures for a vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom