Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

celluloid

The only good thing was the Ursula AA.

I do not hate the interior queue, but it never gets better leading you to think you are going to get something that is never delivered. And you know, when I think about it I hate how the exterior covered portions of the queue are not even that covered.

brb1006

And I agree fully. The story of the ride makes no sense. For example Ursula grants Ariel's wish in one scene and is then killed without explanation in the next lol Unless you'd seen the movie you wouldn't have a clue what's going on.
Giant Ursula's defeat sandwiched between "Kiss The Girl" and Ariel getting her voice back still cracks me up. :hilarious:
Ursula.PNG

Don't get me started with the entire "Under The Sea" section.
251adc092f3e30505ef7768d564fe86a.jpg

and this
DSC0611.jpg

You know, if this attraction was made by Tokyo Disneyland (OLC) then the entire Under The Sea section and Giant Ursula section would look amazing. Especially after seeing some previews of the AA's for their BATB ride and their attraction poster shown recently.
EUWizHsVAAAjCqJ

Last edited:

champdisney

This show had ran its course long ago, in fact it should’ve probably done its encore when Voyage of the Little Mermaid opened... 9 years ago. There’s also a whole section in the Art of Animation themed to TLM and countless other spots throughout the property featuring TLM characters, I think that’s enough Ariel and Sebastian at WDW. Disney needs to dig in deep and look within their lengthy catalog of characters and figure out what to do with that space.

A black box ride sounds extremely lame and lazy. I suggested for years that Disney convert this venue into a Bolt show, utilizing audio-animatronics like The Great American Adventure. The plot could delve into the Bolt television series within the film. But eh, Disney does what Disney wants. No matter how big the film did at the box office and I know Bolt did fairly good back in ‘08.

brb1006

And I agree fully. The story of the ride makes no sense. For example Ursula grants Ariel's wish in one scene and is then killed without explanation in the next lol Unless you'd seen the movie you wouldn't have a clue what's going on.
Not to mention, after guests are moving past the "Kiss The Girl" scene, you suddenly see Ursula silently yelling and you see Ariel getting back her voice.

brb1006

I do not hate the interior queue, but it never gets better leading you to think you are going to get something that is never delivered. And you know, when I think about it I hate how the exterior covered portions of the queue are not even that covered.
Forget the interior, everything including the AA's (safe for Ursula and Skuttle) look so plastic and static.

bryanfze55

Some attractions can be outdated and remain open on the basis of charm and nostalgia (Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, Country Bears) or by having a mission that is greater than mere entertainment (The Land, Spaceship Earth). Unfortunately, none of the old shows at DHS fit in those categories. I forgot to include a Fantasmic! in that as well. When you see Disneyland’s Fantasmic!, it becomes shockingly apparent how much WDW has neglected its shows at DHS.

Kman101

I would generalize this to all entertainment.

Which is always one of the first to 'go'. It sadly makes sense.

Meanwhile, I'm not sad that this is closing. I enjoyed it in it's prime but they weren't invested in it. Hopefully it doesn't sit empty for the next five years. I do feel bad for the cast and that there was no 'farewell' performance though.

It was likely going to close anyway at some point though, right? It's just simply been sped up.

brb1006

Which is always one of the first to 'go'. It sadly makes sense.

Meanwhile, I'm not sad that this is closing. I enjoyed it in it's prime but they weren't invested in it. Hopefully it doesn't sit empty for the next five years. I do feel bad for the cast and that there was no 'farewell' performance though.

It was likely going to close anyway at some point though, right? It's just simply been sped up.
Same with Beauty and the Beast Live On Stage. Remember when BATB live was the only place guests were able to see Gaston before becoming a meetable character in the early 2010s?
Show_BeautyBeast.jpg

bryanfze55

Nothing at the moment! Gotta save as much as possible!

I agree. I didn't know anything about the show going in and I loved it. I regret not seeing it earlier, I suspect it would have become a favorite of mine.

Maybe turn ‘Voyage of the Little Mermaid’ into an interactive upcharge experience in which guests pay a premium to receive a Little Mermaid themed cupcake and watch The Little Mermaid (not in 4K, of course)...

Gotta consider revenue opportunities, not just cost cutting, Bob.

disney4life2008

LOL 😂 the ride is an entire waste of space. The under the sea scene is the nicest and the ursala as is great. But all the other scenes are horribly done. Remember when Ariel had the plastic hair? Lol

disney4life2008

Some attractions can be outdated and remain open on the basis of charm and nostalgia (Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, Country Bears) or by having a mission that is greater than mere entertainment (The Land, Spaceship Earth). Unfortunately, none of the old shows at DHS fit in those categories. I forgot to include a Fantasmic! in that as well. When you see Disneyland’s Fantasmic!, it becomes shockingly apparent how much WDW has neglected its shows at DHS.

To be fair, fantasmic is one of the last originals. I absolutely love fantasmic but the DLR and omg Tokyo versions are exceptional. I do think Disney will look for ways to eliminate fantasmic all together but it's really the only nighttime show where you get to see true Disney characters.

I still don't understand why we haven't gotten world of color (not the updated version with that horrid kid doctor), the original.

UNCgolf

It's a good show, but this show alongside the BATB Live on stage seriously needs to get removed/replaced. It's currently one of the oldest attractions at DHS. Especially even the tarps for the BATB entrance is already dated.
Featured-Beauty-and-the-Beast.jpg

Why are those dated?

The only thing I can think of is because they released a live action film, but the animated film is both a much better movie and the one the stage show is based on, so I don't know why they'd use the live action characters.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Nothing about the show is outdated unless the little mermaid ride is also outdated? The only thing that dates it is the franchise itself is from the 80’s.
The Mermaid ride was outdated the day it opened. We rode it maybe 6 times in September because my 1 year old LOVED it, and the more I rode it the more I hated how cheap it seemed. The Ariel AA is straight up terrifying. For those 6 rides I bet we waited a total of 10 minutes. Granted, September, but still.

UNCgolf

LOL 😂 the ride is an entire waste of space. The under the sea scene is the nicest and the ursala as is great. But all the other scenes are horribly done. Remember when Ariel had the plastic hair? Lol

Even the Under the Sea scene is an embarrassment. It should be be a huge showpiece, but instead there's a bunch of empty space along with a lot of stationary plastic fish. It's still inconceivable to me that Disney built that ride, especially with the huge queue and detailed facade. Everything about it looks like a D or even E ticket until you actually board the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom