1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Volcano Bay

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Mike C, May 28, 2015.

1. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

If my family and I stayed for a week we would hit VB 3 or 4 times. Basically it's, hey kids should we hang around the hotel pool or go over to VB? What do you think the answer would be? I would assume anyone staying at Universal for a week would buy the 3 park season pass.

Hotel guest may very well make up many people at VB but I have no way of knowing the numbers.

I think the problem is VB needs more slides. They are working on everything else but it looks like everything else won't be enough to handle the crowd. More slides, they don't have to be great, just decent and high capacity. I think part of the problem is too many slides that can only handle a few people per minute. Example is the slides that are 3 or 4 people at a time, by their nature they can handle 3 or 4 times the amount of people per hour then a 1 person drop slide. Same with multiple race lane slides. It's true over at Disney as well. At Blizzard beach that one high drop slide has big lines on busy days. That doesn't annoy me because it's like the trophy slide at that park but they have plenty of other less thrilling higher capacity slides at BB.

From a company stand point, having too many people show up to your park isn't a bad thing. In fact it's a great thing and very profitable. Universal may be able to pay off VB in a year. That's not a bad thing because it encourages them to keep building. I don't know about Universal's plan for the W-n-W land. I think that may be the hotel rooms that push Universal into too many rooms. Too many rooms would probably mean a slow down in building at the parks etc.

In the end I hope Universal succeeds but VB needs more stuff at the moment.

2. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

Part of the problem at Disney with the water parks is travel time. You can't just hop over to a water park. VB you can.

3. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure how my post is defending Universal. I was saying that they messed up the "modeling" and seriously under estimated the demand created by being adjacent to so many rooms. If I'm not mistaken, saying they f'd something up is the exact opposite of defending. And I agree that they are letting too many people in. This is a fundamental problem, not something whipping ops into shape can really fix. They are getting blow back for the park being too crowded and at the same time getting angry complaints for it always being at capacity and people on vacation can't get in. So, even though VB has more hourly capacity than TL, it's still not enough. They under built the park because they under estimated the demand created by the park basically being the awesome hotel pool for 3 huge resorts.

They have made a lot of mistakes getting this park going. Many of them avoidable and perplexing. Like pushing ahead with the Grand Opening when it became obvious that they weren't even CLOSE to ready.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    photoginit, TheDad and mergatroid like this.
  4. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member

It would appear they've taken Taniwha Tubes out of the virtual queue option nearly all the time now according to Tim's latest video (strange as I was slaughtered on here for suggesting they try this and told it would never work). He also seems a little concerned on this video about the park which is very not like him.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Eckert, Tom Morrow and alissafalco like this.
  5. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

I can understand still having kinks with Tapu Tapu, but it's a little concerning that three months in, he still notices areas not open, things not installed or not functional, etc.

andysol likes this.
  6. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

They need to hurry up and fix all the crap that was supposed to be operating at the parks grand opening...
    So they can get started on the expansion that's been needed since day one.

andysol and Tom Morrow like this.
  7. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Yeah, it really seems like the grand opening could have been pushed back to... now, and even then it would still be a premature grand opening.

BuddyThomas, cheezbat and Eckert like this.
  8. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

I'm planning on visiting volcano bay around 7th Sep when we are at HRH. Got 3 park tickets. Hoping it will be fun and we get on a few water slides but not doing that big drop one. Too chicken :confused: hopefully it won't be as busy then.

9. mergatroid

Hope you have a great day, get there early!!!!

10. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

Thank you ! My thinking was that kids in Florida will be back to school then and hopefully less crowded - unless the parents think like us big kids also :cool:

mergatroid likes this.
  11. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

You'll enjoy it.

12. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

the drop slide or the park lol - my swimwear thinks I would NOT enjoy the drop slide in the volcano excuse me for being lazy and not looking up the name :p

13. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

Either way I will be posting live updates and photos here as now it is the only forum i enjoy and everyone here has made me feel so welcome :) can't wait :joyfull:

andysol and JoeCamel like this.
  14. LieutLaww

LieutLaww Underwater Basket Weaver Premium Member

Are you staying close to VB ? as a big tip is to get there early as the park reaches capacity surprisingly quick, if you are at a Universal hotel you get to go in at 07:30 i think it is. Just a heads up if you were thinking of heading in later in the morning.

15. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

Few points from discussed above.... I can see how it's possible to spend a relaxed week at Universal doing a park, going for a swim etc if that's how you like to vacation...and I see the theory of people using VB as their hotel pool on such a relaxed trip as holding true. It's frustrating for people who can't get in, but adds another great incentive for staying on site at Universal.

I personally can't spend anywhere near as long at Universal as I can at Disney due to a number of reasons:

- I think the parks are very easy to tour compared to Disney due to guest patterns and how busy they are. If you arrive at Islands or Universal Studios early enough it's very easy to get on all major rides by lunchtime, then spending the afternoon and evening (if it's open!) to chill and do rerides

- I know it's a tired old argument but Universal Studios is very screen heavy at the moment and despite individually liking most of the rides, I have limited tolerance and they don't tend to warrant as many rerides for me as a good coaster or AA based attraction

- You need to be in the mood to do many of Islands rides, ie the water rides. We love em, but it's not something you can do every time you enter you park.

-Shows. For some reason Uni aren't good at them...they bulk out a day. Disney and Seaworld do it far better.

- Disney due to how busy they are have made things like meet and greets 'attractions' whereas at Uni you can pretty much walk up to a character and get your photo taken with them with mimimal fuss. Again...great for Universal, but it means you get things done faster.

-What I'm getting at is that at Universal, everything's just a little easier and less stressful. It requires less planning, less thought.

- With all that in mind I can see Universal appealing massively to the 'less commando' type of vacationer, which is contributing to VBs attendance.

We stayed near Pointe this trip and had our hearts set on staying on Disney on our next trip due to how much time we spend in those parks compared to Universal, but the more and more I look into it, the price and benefits, Volcano Bay included, of staying at Universal is outweighing Disney.

We don't do the mid afternoon swim thing, in fact the opposite we are the kind that gets to the parks early stay there late for 2-3 weeks, and come home aching...but the appeal of dropping into VB and combining it with other park days, including Seaworld/Discovery/Aquatica and maybe not dedicating a whole day to VB on its own, is appealing. I can't wait to give the park another chance, we went the day after opening and it was a nightmare...but the slides we went on were great and the prospect of easiness staying on site adds to VBs appeal.

16. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

I'm going to add that with information spreading faster than ever by mediums like social media and the internet, A lot more people will be seeing advertisement's for Volcano Bay, Even now Disney doesn't really advertise their waterparks that much, but Universal went full blown advertisement crazy with in your face misleading ad's showing off this flashy new waterpark with a... :eek: VOLCANO! IT EVEN ERUPTS!!!

I actually love parts of Universal and The Wizarding World, and have stayed onsite at Universal of all time's i've been to Disney, but the opening, planning, and mangement for Volcano Bay is entirely lackluster and was obviously a ploy to steal the attention from Avatarland, Do not open a "Water Theme Park" if it's not ready to open!!!!!!

17. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

Anymore Universal is more appealing to me for the fact that you can just go with the flow. You don't have to plan every meal 180 before arrival and the same for the rides and fast pass.

18. mergatroid

?

19. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

sorry wrong thread

20. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Same thing at VB, just show up and enjoy. Planning and reserving 180 out??? Bah! Vol sez no!

trr1 likes this.