Visiting Tokyo Disneyland

Timmieboy1998

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I’m going to Japan next month and I would love to visit a Disney park. Since I have only time for 1 I was wondering if I should go to Disneyland of Disney Sea. The only Disney park I’ve been to for now is Disneyland Paris and it’s been 10 years, so for the moment my preference goes out to Disneyland. I also heard you can meet some unique characters there such as Robin Hood. Anyone experience or suggestions?

fradz

Well, I will just go ahead and say that Tokyo Disney Sea is the best theme park in the world in my opinion.
TDL is also great, but honestly if I had to skip TDL next time, I guess I would 'just' really regret not riding Splash, Pooh and Monsters Inc.

No brainer for me, TDS for sure. The atmosphere there is something else.

RobWDW1971

DisneySea is more unique, so visit that one for sure.

If you have one full day then I'd get a hopper and do Seas in the morning and afternoon and then pop over to see DL at night before you leave back to the city. You can walk around and get the "feel" and hit the few unique attractions in a couple of hours at night. Not perfect, but at least you get to see them both while you're there.

I tend to be more of an "and" guy and not "or". :)

Animaniac93-98

If you have one full day then I'd get a hopper and do Seas in the morning and afternoon and then pop over to see DL at night before you leave back to the city. You can walk around and get the "feel" and hit the few unique attractions in a couple of hours at night. Not perfect, but at least you get to see them both while you're there.

Hopper tickets are only sold to those staying at one of the four Disney owned hotels (MiraCosta, Disneyland Hotel, Celebration Hotel, Ambassador Hotel).

RobWDW1971

Hopper tickets are only sold to those staying at one of the four Disney owned hotels (MiraCosta, Disneyland Hotel, Celebration Hotel, Ambassador Hotel).

Is that new? Last time I was there in 2015, I stayed in the city and had a hopper ticket and did both parks in one day. Even so, I'd buy two one day tickets then - how often are you going to get to Tokyo?

Animaniac93-98

Is that new? Last time I was there in 2015, I stayed in the city and had a hopper ticket and did both parks in one day. Even so, I'd buy two one day tickets then - how often are you going to get to Tokyo?

It was like that when I went earlier this year. 1 and 2 day tickets you had to pick which park each day. 3 and 4 day tickets did let you hop on the 3rd and 4th day, but you still had to pick one or the other for the first 2 at the time of purchase.

ThemeParkTraveller

Even so, I'd buy two one day tickets then - how often are you going to get to Tokyo?

TDR tickets are so cheap that even two separate 1-Day passes combined are still a decent amount cheaper than a single 1-Day Park Hopper at DLR or WDW. Even better, TDR also doesn't inflate ticket price during peak periods like most other Disney resorts.

Communicora

Premium Member

Yes. This is what my sister did. Did she see everything? No, but it was a good taste of both parks.

AndyS2992

There are 6 Magic Kingdoms around the World but only one Tokyo DisneySea ;) But if you can’t decide then yes get a one day hopper and spend half a day in one and the rest in the other.

jaxonp

Do both, as someone mentioned earlier today, it's 60 bucks or so per park. Less than one day at a USA park.

I'd hit up Tokyo Disney Sea first thing in the morning, get a fastness for Journey to the Center of the Earth and go ride Tower of Terror or the New Soaring if that interests you. Then you can wing it from there. Toy Story isn't worth the wait, imo, especially if you've ridden it in USA parks. Indiana Jones is totally worth it. After that its up to you. Many swear by Big Band Beat show... it was good but not worth taking up time unless you win the lottery and you want a break in the day. Then head to Disneyland in the early to mid afternoon and do the whatever you like there. Pooh's hunny hunt is a must do and most likely FP will be gone. They may have a single rider there, can't remember. Do not miss. Monsters Inc is way overrated IMO... meh. Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder might be the best versions of the ride. (Paris Big Thunder might be better, but it's close) Pirates is a mixture, but not as good as Disneyland or DLP. Make sure to see the parade and nighttime show at Disneyland. Enjoy.

Asa

Tokyo Disney Resort offer an evening pass which is valid for entry from 6pm onwards. Most other attractions are closed after 5 or 6pm in Tokyo anyway. You can take advantage of that to visit TDL on the evening before, then on your full day the next day, visit DisneySea.

You can still get 4 hours in TDL. I suggest you use the time to do Monsters, Pooh's Honey Hunt and watch the night parade.

BasiltheBatLord

If you're for sure never going to go back to Japan again then go to TDS. Keep in mind as you read these comments that TDS is overrated by most Disney Park fans and TDL is actually a better, more fulfilling park.

Also make sure to check refurb schedules before hand. TDR refurbs very aggressively so depending on what's up or down that might make up your mind for you.

ThemeParkTraveller

If you're for sure never going to go back to Japan again then go to TDS. Keep in mind as you read these comments that TDS is overrated by most Disney Park fans and TDL is actually a better, more fulfilling park.

Depends what one is looking for. In terms of themed design and place-making, TDS is absolutely the superior park (no contest). Its praise from seasoned theme park fans is well-deserved in that regard. I do agree that the average casual guest will probably get a more well-rounded and quintessentially Disney experience at TDL.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Also make sure to check refurb schedules before hand. TDR refurbs very aggressively so depending on what's up or down that might make up your mind for you.
It really depends. TDS is definitely the far superior, more beautiful and themed park. TDL has more of the Disney feel and experience to it. They both are fantastic parks overall and are two of some of the best Disney parks in the world.

PiratesMansion

To be more direct, the vast majority (as in, all but TWO) of Tokyo Disneyland's attractions are almost totally identical to attractions currently operating at either Disneyland in California or Magic Kingdom in Florida. Not that there are no differences, but they are of the small and nitpicky variety more than anything else. The vast majority of DisneySea cannot be experienced anywhere else in the world, on top of the unrivaled attention to detail.

If you think there is even a vague possibility you will ever make it to one of the US castle parks, DisneySea is the obvious choice.

Keep in mind as you read these comments that TDS is overrated by most Disney Park fans and TDL is actually a better, more fulfilling park.

You confuse me.

jaxonp

I'm excited that I'm going back to TDLR!!! I'll be there the week before xmas this year. Does anyone have tips or suggestions for beating the crowds? I'm there the 16-20th and I hope it isn't too bad! Also what are the must dos or not to miss during the holiday season.

Stevie Amsterdam

I'm excited that I'm going back to TDLR!!! I'll be there the week before xmas this year. Does anyone have tips or suggestions for beating the crowds? I'm there the 16-20th and I hope it isn't too bad! Also what are the must dos or not to miss during the holiday season.
Make sure to queue up like the Japanese do. When the park opens at 9:00 am they will have been in line since 7:00 am. Get a fastpass strategy and stick to it. Memorize the park map, so you'll know where you are and where to head next. Focus on attractions and rides that are unique to the resort. Learn which rides have a single rider queue. Shows are in Japanese and some have subtitles, but either to the left or right of the stage, meaning you miss quite a bit of the show (I found that very confusing when I was there lol). Dress for cold weather!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom