News VISIT FLORIDA Research report highlights dramatic reduction in visitors to Florida

floydbeatle

The problem is that you can’t make people travel. No matter how rosey a picture is painted I don’t think a large number of people will be booking flights any time soon. The summer is the prime travel season and that ship has sailed. I don’t see a meaningful uptick in Sept/Oct. If the case numbers are down and If the nationwide situation looks more stable maybe there will be a bump for the Thanksgiving through New Years travel season. Not a normal holiday season by any measure but better than what we saw this summer. That assumes FL gets off the travel restrictions list and stays off and also that there’s good numbers other places as well. It’s going to take some time for people to feel OK with flying. Even if the concern is not fully warranted It’s not any less real.
Makes sense. I will say I was pleasantly surprised by how short our flight was from BWI to MCO (I think they call it OIA in Florida which I don't understand). It is usually over two hours, and we made the flight in about 1:45 minutes. Just goes to show you how much traffic there is in the air, and how it affects your travel time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Makes sense. I will say I was pleasantly surprised by how short our flight was from BWI to MCO (I think they call it OIA in Florida which I don't understand). It is usually over two hours, and we made the flight in about 1:45 minutes. Just goes to show you how much traffic there is in the air, and how it affects your travel time.
I imagine airport parking is a lot easier now too. There’s definitely some upside for anyone who wants to travel now with insanely low airfare and low crowds.

floydbeatle

The mask situation in Disney is much different than the mask situation anywhere else in public, even in Orange County where there's a mandate. Many, many counties in Florida don't even have an order.
I think that is why Disney needs to get the message out, that if you travel from point A (Origin) to point B (MCO), Disney will take care of the rest i.e. masks mandates, safety, comfort, etc.

floydbeatle

I imagine airport parking is a lot easier now too. There’s definitely some upside for anyone who wants to travel now with insanely low airfare and low crowds.
BWI and DCA have both lowered the parking rates as they have closed economy parking. At BWI you can park in the closest parking lot for $12/day, and I parked in the covered daily parking lot for $8/day which is a quick shuttle bus ride. There really are some plusses if you are willing to travel.

disneygeek90

I think that is why Disney needs to get the message out, that if you travel from point A (Origin) to point B (MCO), Disney will take care of the rest i.e. masks mandates, safety, comfort, etc.
Easier said than done, I think the travel part is still what's making people hesitant. Probably why we're seeing lots of locals and Florida residents okay with visiting for the day but not a family from Nebraska that needs to factor in airlines and hotels.

As others have pointed out, weekends feel borderline uncomfortable as it is in certain parks. Until they can safely increase capacity and cases are on a consistent decline for several weeks/months, I think their hands are tied.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
We all know about the theme parks and the cruise lines and that is a very big impact.

But it's also the business traveler. Conventions/Conferences in Florida (Orlando and South Florida) will continue to take a beating for some time. And that's a surprisingly big part of the tourism revenue.

beertiki

I do not believe those numbers. 55% decrease in hotel rooms? Our hotels in the Keys were closed for 2 months. It's still dead in Key West. Close to 6 months of no cruise ships. That's about 500,000 people. Most coming from Florida ports, and none of them booked hotels at the beginning of end of their trip.

Florida is a mess.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Easier said than done, I think the travel part is still what's making people hesitant. Probably why we're seeing lots of locals and Florida residents okay with visiting for the day but not a family from Nebraska that needs to factor in airlines and hotels.

As others have pointed out, weekends feel borderline uncomfortable as it is in certain parks. Until they can safely increase capacity and cases are on a consistent decline for several weeks/months, I think their hands are tied.
It’s also different to fly in from somewhere for a week or any number of days knowing that aside from the flight and theme park I also have to eat all of my meals in a restaurant with a lot of strangers. That’s a tough sell too. That’s why house rentals at the beach and cabins by a lake are so hot this summer up in my area. Even RV rentals are way up. You can drive instead of fly but you can also eat a lot of meals at your house (even if it’s just takeout) and you can do outdoor activities without huge crowds.

matt9112

Well no, we get the normal number of vacation days that Europeans get. The U.S. is the outlier in the developed world in providing such minimalistic vacation time as part of standard work contracts. Your system treats workers very poorly, I'm surprised you have put up with it for so long.

Its a trade off. Our economic engines are far more flexible. Your contracts are cumbersome and stagnant. You prioritize worker benefits at the cost of ec9nomic flexibility and efficiency. This is why we rebounded from the great recession faster for example. To be fair i get two weeks of vacation a year well its a little more than that.

ParentsOf4

I do not believe those numbers. 55% decrease in hotel rooms? Our hotels in the Keys were closed for 2 months. It's still dead in Key West. Close to 6 months of no cruise ships. That's about 500,000 people. Most coming from Florida ports, and none of them booked hotels at the beginning of end of their trip.
We live near Atlanta, with 4 children in their early 20s.

Their friends have been heading to the beaches in Florida in droves. Many have already been to Florida several times since the start of COVID-19, typically the Destin, Clearwater, or Jacksonville areas.

Remember, many schools closed. Others had remote learning. Summer jobs hadn't started, and they certainly did not want to stay home with their parents!

In the 2nd quarter of 2020 (April to June) covered by the Visit Florida report, Florida was invaded by a bunch of high school and college students who live within driving distance and who had a lot of free time on their hands.

peter11435

I'm here at WDW staying at AKL. If you're an AP holder who will go an hour before close then maybe you can experience those empty youtuber moments. However, I was at DAK on Saturday and it was packed. If you saw the crowds you would think it was 2019. I waited longer for Dinosaur then I ever did pre-pandemic. The waits are lower, but the wait times either thru Disney or an app like TP are seriously misleading. They will show a 30 min wait for Pandora and you can tell from the line it is 60 min or more. I thought we were going to walk on to every ride and that is simply not the case.

On another note I flew down from the DC area on Southwest. Had a great flight, rented a car, and went to Target near the Margaritaville. I expected no one to be wearing a mask. I expected lawlessness, to the point we left our kids at the resort. Every single person was wearing a mask. I have seen more adherence to the mask rules here then in the DC area. I was shocked and Disney needs to get the message out.
I was at DAK on Thursday and rode everything in the park multiple times. Including flight of passage 3 times. The longest we waited for anything was 25 minutes.

disneygeek90

Well no, we get the normal number of vacation days that Europeans get. The U.S. is the outlier in the developed world in providing such minimalistic vacation time as part of standard work contracts. Your system treats workers very poorly, I'm surprised you have put up with it for so long.
As with everything, it depends on the position and employer. I have 5 weeks of vacation every year and most of it rolls over to the point where I have nearly 6 weeks available right now. I typically don't let any "expire" but I may need to cash in a week or two, wasn't really able to use many days back in March - June.

floydbeatle

I was at DAK on Thursday and rode everything in the park multiple times. Including flight of passage 3 times. The longest we waited for anything was 25 minutes.
I think it is hit or miss. From what I have read on here and other forums/news sites I think your experience is probably more typical, but the "youtuber/vlogger" empty park theme is misleading. Yesterday, I was watching the local Florida news and they repeated the same theme (that the parks are empty with no one in them). I wish I had taken a picture on Saturday, so I could show everyone, but the wait times were what they were. FOP was at times at 60 minutes. At others 25 minutes, and the crowds felt like normal times. Maybe it was because the kids went back to school today, and the weekend was the last opportunity for the parks. Not sure.

peter11435

I think it is hit or miss. From what I have read on here and other forums/news sites I think your experience is probably more typical, but the "youtuber/vlogger" empty park theme is misleading. Yesterday, I was watching the local Florida news and they repeated the same theme (that the parks are empty with no one in them). I wish I had taken a picture on Saturday, so I could show everyone, but the wait times were what they were. FOP was at times at 60 minutes. At others 25 minutes, and the crowds felt like normal times. Maybe it was because the kids went back to school today, and the weekend was the last opportunity for the parks. Not sure.
The highest I ever saw FOP was 50 and that was during a cleaning. When I got in line the first time it said 35 we waited 25. I realize sometimes there may be waits for some attractions, but the crowds are nowhere near normal. Not even remotely close.

DfromATX

Its a trade off. Our economic engines are far more flexible. Your contracts are cumbersome and stagnant. You prioritize worker benefits at the cost of ec9nomic flexibility and efficiency. This is why we rebounded from the great recession faster for example. To be fair i get two weeks of vacation a year well its a little more than that.

I’m in Texas. I accrue 6 hours each pay period so 12 hours per month and we don’t lose it with each year. Right now I have well over a month of vacation leave (especially now). Of course I’d never take more than 2/2.5 weeks at a time. For sick leave we get 4 hours each pay period. No complaints from me! 😊

And... In addition to our regular sick leave, anyone sick with Covid would not have to use their regular sick hours, but thankfully, not one person (so far) in our organization has caught it.

DVCakaCarlF

2CD7C34D-F813-42E9-BF41-8524A5342404.jpeg
This past Saturday MK was slammed...yes, it wasn’t NYE or XMAS, but it was busy. I took this picture of AK on Friday after 1ish:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom