News VISIT FLORIDA Research report highlights dramatic reduction in visitors to Florida

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Even with that, they still can’t get travelers down. Maybe a slight increase through the rest of the year, maybe.
This is what we keep trying to explain or everyone predicting rebound:

It’s just not worth the hassle.

No not “everyone”...but the vast majority of Disney’s bread and butter.

And here’s the kicker: every day that people don’t show will reduce investment and increase prices on the upward ark on the other side.

The consumers are gonna reap what they’ve sown by drinking the sand since 2009. But I maybe wrong (I’m kidding...I’m not.)

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

Nope...

The flu season is gonna Impact travel even more...

It’s all about perception and there is no way to fight that.

You’re also assuming the smoke and mirrors money is gonna continue...which is unlikely

But that is exactly my point. They (governors, mayors, etc.) are going to have to change the narrative around travel and the virus. Once all you hear on the news is that cases continue to drop, travel is picking up, etc. that will change peoples perceptions, quickly. their are thousands of ways to "fight it" as you say. They create and alter perceptions in the media all the time, that is part of their job (not saying it's a bad thing).

Again it comes down to basic economics. These cities can't continue to be dead and air travel can't continue to be at the current levels.

What my original post was saying is the complete opposite of the smoke and mirrors money continuing, I was actually making a point that it can't continue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But that is exactly my point. They (governors, mayors, etc.) are going to have to change the narrative around travel and the virus. Once all you hear on the news is that cases continue to drop, travel is picking up, etc. that will change peoples perceptions, quickly. their are thousands of ways to "fight it" as you say. They create and alter perceptions in the media all the time, that is part of their job (not saying it's a bad thing).

Again it comes down to basic economics. These cities can't continue to be dead and air travel can't continue to be at the current levels.

What my original post was saying is the complete opposite of the smoke and mirrors money continuing, I was actually making a point that it can't continue.
I have zero confidence in any travel predictions...any...until we get into the deep fall if not winter. Masses simply will not commit

gljvd

Are you in wildwood? Because that’s the “minority” opinion I got to tell you. The burbs don’t seem eager to go back.

There will be a loosening up IF things continue to trend the right way. But the fall/winter is a wildcard.

I have trips planned during the school year - every year - that’s a very “Jersey” thing. And I don’t want to give that up...doubt anyone does...but right now it’s holding on pending new info. A lot of those will be cancelled too.

North Jersey by Paramus. At first no one wanted to go but as more time goes on people are seeing through the most cases ever thing and seeing the death rate is still pretty low. They also see videos from youtubers and see how dead the park is and are like well I could do a couple of hours , head to the hotel and then head back for a couple of hours if there are like no lines.

This year the majority of people had their shore trips canceled. I know a lot who aren't going to go down next year. The pricing was high and the beaches right now are jammed packed. When you go there there is no where to eat. At least in Disney you can do orders and go back to the hotel or limited seating.

My wife doesn't want to go but i would totally go and spend a week or two down in Disney.

gljvd

Agreed. We had a cruise cancel and decided to do a beach/park vacation in FL and when the numbers started to spike in June we cancelled and will be spending a week in Wildwood Crest. Plenty of social distancing on Wildwood's beaches.

We have a freshman heading off to college in a few weeks and it wasn't worth the risk. He would have to quarantine for two weeks and considering the crap senior year they had didn't want to risk him delaying his move in and start to college.

I haven't been to wildwood but I was at lavalette nj helping my cousin fix his roof and the beach was packed as if nothing was going on. I think you are more likely to get something there than at Disney.

Lilofan

North Jersey by Paramus. At first no one wanted to go but as more time goes on people are seeing through the most cases ever thing and seeing the death rate is still pretty low. They also see videos from youtubers and see how dead the park is and are like well I could do a couple of hours , head to the hotel and then head back for a couple of hours if there are like no lines.

This year the majority of people had their shore trips canceled. I know a lot who aren't going to go down next year. The pricing was high and the beaches right now are jammed packed. When you go there there is no where to eat. At least in Disney you can do orders and go back to the hotel or limited seating.

My wife doesn't want to go but i would totally go and spend a week or two down in Disney.
R/T on Spirit Airlines to Orlando $35 can be really tempting! I was in Paramus when I visited NJ. What's up with the stores being closed on Sundays? Is it the 1970s?

DisneyDebRob

I think what your missing is it doesn’t matter what the governor’s or mayors are saying. They can be giving out free cupcakes at the entrance, won’t matter. Majority of all polls say that people don’t want to wear masks all the time. Starting with planes, then all day at the parks. I’m one of them. I’m not saying there aren’t people that are doing it, we can see it now in the parks. But no matter how many people don’t mind it there are thousands of families that don’t want to deal with it. So until the masks go away, don’t expect a big increase in attendance. That goes for other places also. The mindset is stay close to home, don’t blow big bucks on something we will have to struggle through and with less things to enjoy that might just make it worth it.
That’s why local shore spots and the mountains are booming now. A few hour drive for thousands who might be going to Disney.

floydbeatle

"see videos from youtubers and see how dead the park is and are like well I could do a couple of hours , head to the hotel and then head back for a couple of hours if there are like no lines."

I'm here at WDW staying at AKL. If you're an AP holder who will go an hour before close then maybe you can experience those empty youtuber moments. However, I was at DAK on Saturday and it was packed. If you saw the crowds you would think it was 2019. I waited longer for Dinosaur then I ever did pre-pandemic. The waits are lower, but the wait times either thru Disney or an app like TP are seriously misleading. They will show a 30 min wait for Pandora and you can tell from the line it is 60 min or more. I thought we were going to walk on to every ride and that is simply not the case.

On another note I flew down from the DC area on Southwest. Had a great flight, rented a car, and went to Target near the Margaritaville. I expected no one to be wearing a mask. I expected lawlessness, to the point we left our kids at the resort. Every single person was wearing a mask. I have seen more adherence to the mask rules here then in the DC area. I was shocked and Disney needs to get the message out.

floydbeatle

I think what your missing is it doesn’t matter what the governor’s or mayors are saying. They can be giving out free cupcakes at the entrance, won’t matter. Majority of all polls say that people don’t want to wear masks all the time. Starting with planes, then all day at the parks. I’m one of them. I’m not saying there aren’t people that are doing it, we can see it now in the parks. But no matter how many people don’t mind it there are thousands of families that don’t want to deal with it. So until the masks go away, don’t expect a big increase in attendance. That goes for other places also. The mindset is stay close to home, don’t blow big bucks on something we will have to struggle through and with less things to enjoy that might just make it worth it.
That’s why local shore spots and the mountains are booming now. A few hour drive for thousands who might be going to Disney.
I agree. We are here now and wearing a mask is tough. It is so hot, and wearing a mask just adds to the uncomfortableness. However, if it was cooler, maybe less than 80 degrees, I think it would be fine. But it will depend on a particular persons comfort level. I do think the longer the pandemic lasts, people will start breaking.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Now this part is where I will agree with you...

Of course they want that. But when the rubber meets the road I call BS. Can’t miss lacrosse practice (when they have it) on a quarantine ...
The problem with this mindset seeming “exotic” and tempting is because nobody would stay the hell home for years prior. “Solving” a problem of your own creation.
R/T on Spirit Airlines to Orlando $35 can be really tempting! I was in Paramus when I visited NJ. What's up with the stores being closed on Sundays? Is it the 1970s?
Blue laws...a relic of the 20th century.

What’s funny is that it’s often attributed to Jewish customs...but that’s the wrong day. Sabbath is Saturday. 🇮🇱

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. We had a cruise cancel and decided to do a beach/park vacation in FL and when the numbers started to spike in June we cancelled and will be spending a week in Wildwood Crest. Plenty of social distancing on Wildwood's beaches.

We have a freshman heading off to college in a few weeks and it wasn't worth the risk. He would have to quarantine for two weeks and considering the crap senior year they had didn't want to risk him delaying his move in and start to college.
I wouldn’t expect him to get too comfy - unfortunately...

I just say UNC chapel hill just pulled the plug after 135 positive covid tests...

And I know a large school in the center of Nowhere in Pa. that I’m told have very little intention of having anyone there past October - best case scenario.

Good luck to him, either way 👍🏻

JoeCamel

I agree. We are here now and wearing a mask is tough. It is so hot, and wearing a mask just adds to the uncomfortableness. However, if it was cooler, maybe less than 80 degrees, I think it would be fine. But it will depend on a particular persons comfort level. I do think the longer the pandemic lasts, people will start breaking.
Having a few fresh masks can help with the heat and exhalation

gljvd

Blue laws. Its actually a great thing if you live here. Everything empties out and allows you to relax for a day , retail workers get a dedicated day off also which is a huge quality of life improvement. There are still places open just essentials however like hardware stores or food stores and restaurants

GoofGoof

Premium Member
WDW closed for all 3 months.

Universal closed for 2 months and reporting soft attendance for the month it was opened.

Air travelers down by 85.2%.

Who exactly were the 12.8 million visitors?

The beach!

View attachment 491538
Bingo. With 91% of travelers not flying in the bulk probably live in surrounding states so drove in and went to either the panhandle area and/or other beach towns. If there were 12.6M visitors and only 8.7% traveled by air that means a hair over 1M people flew into Florida during a 3 month period. April was obviously a wash but some stuff was open in May and lots more in June. That’s a crazy number and highlights just how big of a hole there is to dig out of for tourism. The Q3 numbers will be more relevant to WDW but I don’t think it will be a pretty story either.

gljvd

I'm here at WDW staying at AKL. If you're an AP holder who will go an hour before close then maybe you can experience those empty youtuber moments. However, I was at DAK on Saturday and it was packed. If you saw the crowds you would think it was 2019. I waited longer for Dinosaur then I ever did pre-pandemic. The waits are lower, but the wait times either thru Disney or an app like TP are seriously misleading. They will show a 30 min wait for Pandora and you can tell from the line it is 60 min or more. I thought we were going to walk on to every ride and that is simply not the case.

On another note I flew down from the DC area on Southwest. Had a great flight, rented a car, and went to Target near the Margaritaville. I expected no one to be wearing a mask. I expected lawlessness, to the point we left our kids at the resort. Every single person was wearing a mask. I have seen more adherence to the mask rules here then in the DC area. I was shocked and Disney needs to get the message out.

I try my best to never go to a theme park on a week end. 90% of my time at a park is during Mon-Friday. I had family down in Disney last week and they said it was pretty slow. Also yea from what family tells me most people wear masks down in Florida. I think the media tells you what it wants to tell you .

Now this part is where I will agree with you...

Of course they want that. But when the rubber meets the road I call BS. Can’t miss lacrosse practice (when they have it) on a quarantine ...
The problem with this mindset seeming “exotic” and tempting is because nobody would stay the hell home for years prior. “Solving” a problem of your own creation.
Blue laws...a relic of the 20th century.

What’s funny is that it’s often attributed to Jewish customs...but that’s the wrong day. Sabbath is Saturday. 🇮🇱
Not really it goes back to the 1700s and is to prevent vice and then in the 1950s a bunch of counties voted it out but bergen county didn't

Paramus itself voted in even tougher blue laws. Imagine living in a town with 3-4 major malls either in it or near it . You'd want a day without new yorkers coming in to bother you or other NJ residents coming in and bothering you.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The problem is that you can’t make people travel. No matter how rosey a picture is painted I don’t think a large number of people will be booking flights any time soon. The summer is the prime travel season and that ship has sailed. I don’t see a meaningful uptick in Sept/Oct. If the case numbers are down and If the nationwide situation looks more stable maybe there will be a bump for the Thanksgiving through New Years travel season. Not a normal holiday season by any measure but better than what we saw this summer. That assumes FL gets off the travel restrictions list and stays off and also that there’s good numbers other places as well. It’s going to take some time for people to feel OK with flying. Even if the concern is not fully warranted It’s not any less real.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom