Trip Report VISIONS OF STEEL & WOOD - Roller Coaster Road Trip 2018

enhance

VISIONS OF STEEL & WOOD: ROLLER COASTER ROAD TRIP 2018

Two whole weeks of nothing but roller coasters! A dozen amusement parks! Countless multiple dozen thrills! Hundreds of miles! Eight dark rides!

Come join me, - and assorted roller coaster fanatics – on an epic journey from Michigan through Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. On this ridiculous roadtrip, there won’t be a single Disney or Universal theme park in view. Instead our sights are set on the opposite side of the amusement park coin, on the wondrous world of coaster parks!

Yes, it’s thrills over theming! And I couldn’t be happier! Now don’t get me wrong, I love Disney parks (I mean, obviously…I’m active on WDWMagic). But to fully appreciate Disney, I love to explore everything else available too. To see alternate evolutions on ride concepts. Historical parks which preserve what the amusement industry was like well before Walt’s revolution. Pier parks. Trolley parks. Iron parks with steel monstrosities towering hundreds of feet overhead. In this world, Cedar Fair and Six Flags are the top dogs. Parks aren’t resorts, they’re adventures. It’s tiring, it’s extreme, it’s a wholly different sort of vacation from Disney! (For that, see my Hong Kong/Tokyo TR from last year, or await my return from Shanghai in late September).

And what all destinations could we cover in a hectic two weeks?
enhance

Greenfield Village – A “living history” park created by Henry Ford to celebrate 19th century Americana, and an indisputable influence on Walt’s Disneyland.

Henry Ford Museum – The world class museum next door with its exceptional collection of American vehicles, inventions and more.

Cedar Point – Arguably the destination for roller coasters, and one of my three favorite parks in the world alongside Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea. Home to the brand-new Steel Vengeance, already perhaps the world’s best roller coaster!

Kings Island – Cedar Point’s Cincinnati adjunct, a home for many exceptional coasters in a park whose theming and organization recall Disney.

Kentucky Kingdom – A small state fair wedged in between a mall and an airport, one which has become permanent.

Holiday World – A wonderful family-run park in Indiana’s most remote corner, noteworthy for its tremendous hospitality, water park and wooden coasters.

Kennywood – A Pittsburgh trolley park which opened in 1898, and to this day retains its vintage Luna Park style charm with some modern niceties.

Del Grosso’s Amusement Park – Basically a permanent carnival which emerged alongside a pasta sauce factory.

Knoebels – Wedged in the Pennsylvania wilderness is a timewarp where the 1920s never died, lawsuits never occur, and this incredible carnie-run park rejects every lesson ever learned by Disney.

Hershey Park – For some reason the Hershey Company decided to extend their brand with a park on par with Cedar Fair or Six Flags, full of professionalism, cleanliness, and no personality.

Dorney Park – One of Cedar Fair’s neglected regional parks. It has some rides.

Morey’s Piers – A wondrously fun pier park right along the Jersey Shore, like something straight out of Bob’s Burgers!

Philly on the 4th – Celebrating our nation’s birth on its birthday in its birthplace, in a town where the locals are more concerned with Rocky.

Six Flags Great Adventure – The grand finale occurs at the best Six Flags park, the world’s largest amusement park, home to the world’s tallest roller coaster.
enhance

Joining me on this quixotic quest would be a core group of four thrill-seekers, plus other assorted buddies here and there. Among this group, I was undoubtedly the Disney Dork™, the relative coaster novice with only around 100 previously under my belt compared to the 400+ these guys could boast.

Their perspective and insight is something else, and we’ll be meeting them all as my stream-of-consciousness report continues. (To start here’s the beginning of AJ’s very own trip report found elseweb.) For now, let’s simply dive into the thick of things and get this report rolling!

LMSB

Last_0005.jpg

Day 14 – Six Flags Great Adventure
One final day, one final park. Six Flags Great Adventure, arguably the best park in the whole Six Flags chain. I’d agree with that, despite living close to runnerup Magic Mountain. Six Flags is known for their poorer rides ops, worse maintenance, and altogether being a slightly cheaper, slightly greedier park chain. People’s poor opinions on regional non-DisneyVersal parks, I assume these opinions are largely formed by “having a Six Flags day.”

Great Adventure avoids the worst Six Flags criticisms with a park approaching Cedar Point quality. It isn’t quite at that level (and admittedly I judge Six Flags parks on a curve) but the effort is evident, and Great Adventure is bolstered by some destination-worthy coasters.

I’m driving out in the morning. Josh has a long solo drive back to North Carolina tomorrow, and AJ drives at night. We travel for hours through the green wastelands of New Jersey, with little at all seen along the way. An off-ramp lists towns called Voorhees and Haddonfield, but somehow no Krueger. This might not be accurate, but Great Adventure seems located in the remote wildernesses far from any noticeable population centers.
enhance

We arrive early, hoping to do some rope drop damage ahead of the crowds. The vast surface level parking lot, so far still entirely empty, provides panoramic views of aggressive thrill machines. This being a Six Flags, the entry gates were somewhat disorganized. We stood in mud watching elderly workers sloooowly man the security checkpoints. Still, best-run Six Flags!

With multiple entry lines to choose from, somehow we picked the fast one. Miraculously I wound up being, like, the 2nd person to enter the park for the day. And while Josh predictably vanished for that hour’s restroom break, I totally ditched my travelmates as I rushed into a totally unfamiliar park intuiting my way towards Kingda Ka.
enhance

Kingda Ka is the tallest roller coaster in the whole wide world. It is a low-capacity must-do, the park’s “Peter Pan.” I rush ahead of local guests through empty carnival midways and then down a bamboo-lined avenue guessing about its destination. (Great Adventure’s layout T’s off from the entry, with several dead-end fingers then leading to each set-apart ride.)

Soon I run into the lone guy who managed to enter ahead of me; he’s heading back. Kingda Ka is klosed. (It’s like early morning at X2!) I reverse direction, hurriedly attempting to now locate backup coaster El Toro. We pass more rope drop crowds headed for Kingda Ka; some figure things out and join us. Eventually I locate AJ and Josh, and we take the finger path into Plaza del Carnaval.
enhance

Now…you can’t have anything in your pockets on El Toro…or Kingda Ka…or Joker. Likely some other rides too. This is reasonable; it’s a safety measure. Unfortunately Great Adventure therefore requires you to purchase a locker rental. El Toro and its ilk are essentially upcharge rides. It’s merely $1 for 2 hours, but it makes Six Flags look greedy when parks like Holiday World do this for free. (Apparently Steel Vengeance has begun something similar since our visit.) We get our shared locker, then head through a security checkpoint towards mighty El Toro.

(Despite all these precautions, someone’s cell phone did fly at us while on-ride. Yike! Upon exiting, an employee handed the smashed phone back to the owner…before security ejected him.)
enhance

El Toro (Spanish for “the toro”) is a titanic “Plug ‘n’ Play” wooden coaster by Intamin, a true candidate for “world’s best.” It was assembled from prefab laser-cut pieces, allowing for an intense ride more like a steel coaster. Despite being made from wood, Josh argued (for reasons I don’t follow) that this disqualifies El Toro as a woodie. He’s decided before ever riding it that he hates El Toro; here at the trip’s tail end Josh has become a raving grumpy contrarian.

Me? I loved El Toro! It’s up there with Steel Vengeance, The Voyage and Maverick. A cable lift hill (first one on a woodie) very swiftly takes you up 181’ to a quick turnaround. The train’s already booking it once you reach the initial bonkers drop, making for some ludicrous airtime. The layout to follow follows the familiar woodie formula, but with a scale and smoothness like steel. Eventually escaping the main hills, El Toro’s second half sticks lower to the ground along a rampaging airtime-filled detour like a better Skyrush. The ejector airtime here is nuts!
enhance

This was maybe El Toro’s first run of the day, and it’s a little underwhelming since it hasn’t warmed up yet. Nonetheless it is a fantastic ride. Returning to the empty station, Josh unloads in a huff and angrily storms away, declaring El Toro to be an awful irredeemable atrocity. I genuinely don’t get this! AJ and I remain seated (since there’s no one else there yet) and back-to-back we immediately get two more rides on the great raging bull.

Now, El Toro is super smooth…too smooth. Steel smooth. I miss the rattly joys of a funky old woodie, though I recognize a classic Gravity Group-type model couldn’t do the wild moves seen here. It’s a worthwhile compromise. El Toro is Great Adventure’s best coaster, hands down, completely world-class.

We have the majority of 2 hours remaining for locker rental, so we rush off to do more phone-stealing coasters while it’s easiest. Been keeping an eye on Kingda Ka’s tall tower and it still isn’t running. That’s a priority once it’s up.
enhance

For now we’re off to Bizarro, a B&M floorless coaster. It’s a mirror image clone of Scream! at Magic Mountain. To me Scream! is an underrated ride. Still, Bizarro is better. It’s smoother, always a plus. Better still, it isn’t sitting directly above a parking lot. It’s over rolling green hills, and there’s some honest-to-goodness theming…nothing special (this is Six Flags after all), but a few flat façade setpieces and a misting torture device which we twice invert around. Bizarre was better than expected!
be1aac45-0356-4a9a-ae8d-1b38a859c016.jpg

Runaway Mine Train is SFGA’s token Arrow mine train coaster, one which weaves around an over-scaled gigantic Old West fort. The loading station had the Indiana Jones Theme playing on a loop. Apparently you only need to licence on-ride music, so this is legally OK…still odd. Nobody was queued for this one except AJ, Josh and myself. They rode the front car, and I rode solo in the rear. I sang Indiana Jones aloud throughout the entire ride, over unmemorable helices and drops. The final turnaround skims a lake’s surface at the foot of El Toro, which is iconic.

Next Josh and AJ do The Log Flume. Josh is somewhat sick of coasters, I think, and he’s rebelling by obsessing over water rides. I sit it out, knowing it would soak them. Didn’t seem particularly noteworthy from off-ride. Wish I’d had my wallet so I could’ve paid for the squirt cannons and attacked AJ!

Up next: Making it a Six Flags day!
I live just a few towns over from Haddonfield:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
EL TORO ROCKS!!!! Love that coaster.

LMSB

enhance

Great Adventures Never End
AJ leads us through Bugs Bunny National Park, the typical Six Flags/Looney Tunes kiddie area. (Always a waste of a good IP.) I suspect maybe AJ has another Wacky Worm credit he needs, but instead it’s simply a shortcut. We’re headed towards The Joker.
enhance

This is an S&S Worldwide “Free Spin” coaster, a commonly-cloned model found in 4 Six Flags parks to date. (It’s this generation’s Boomerang, only I do not hate it.) The ride is a crazed zig zag of track stacked vertically, ride vehicle arms held out horizontally. Riders spin uncontrollably at random, based on their own weight distribution. It is out-of-control engineered chaos, hard to describe with words.

I’ll admit I was somewhat dreading this ride. Feared it’d be painful and disorienting. Instead it was pleasant while still insane. The sight of Josh in front of us suddenly twisting head-over-heels, his scraggly long hair covering his horrified face as he plummets upside down out-of-sight…it has me giggling right now. At the time I was cackling hysterically for literally one whole straight minute, very much like a Joker Smilex victim. This is certainly an aptly-named ride.
26ROLLER-jumbo.jpg

Please pardon the occasional stock images. My phone was in a locker for much of this day,

Joker scared me due to a similar ride at Magic Mountain – Green Lantern – which I still refuse to do. Its reputation for pain is unmatched. Great Adventure has a Green Lantern too, only this one is a B&M stand-up coaster. Time is speedily running out on our locker rental, and we’re racing against time trying to cram this in first.

Stand-up coasters…pretty self explanatory. You ride in a standing position. Magic Mountain has supposedly the world’s best stand-up, Riddler’s Revenge, and it’s simply average. Not a particularly fun type of coaster. Just an excuse for more standard B&M inversions over acreage, plus gimmicky seating.

It takes them eons to load up Green Lantern, roughly 5 minutes per train. Blame the strange seating, which many guests cannot figure out. They try sitting down, guaranteeing their groins a pummeling mid-loop. The queue behind us (unthemed, unshaded, switchbacks) is filling fast. We do the ride, which was fine. Unremarkable but at least painless, which is the best a stand-up can hope for really.
mn_SUPERMANUltrimateFlight_NJ.jpg

Superman: Ultimate Flight nearby (a B&M flying coaster, a common Six Flags clone) would remain closed all day. Too bad. Kingda Ka also remains closed, taunting us.

We return to the locker with a single minute remaining. (Had we been late, there’d be a $2 additional charge I think – grr!) We collect our worldly possessions.
enhance

SFGA is filled with Mars Candy branding, presumably as a middle finger to Hersheypark.

So I mentioned that Great Adventure is laid out in a “T.” We’ve done all the working coasters on the left side. Happily, to reach the right side you can take the Sky Ride gondolas, a very helpful transportation ride which leave from the fort near Runaway Mine Train. These provide great views of the rides and of the great big lake just beyond Joker.
enhance

The Sky Ride lets off near Skull Mountain, an enclosed Intamin coaster which is best described as “Space Mountain on a Six Flags budget.” The exterior is a cool skull-shaped mountain with a waterfall, and despite the boxy show building this is still a good bit of regional place-making. Too bad the park’s wonky layout means we approached Skull Mountain from the side and the skull never served its function as weenie.

The ride has a basic adventure serial theme. At least in the queue. The ride section is simply total darkness – penetrated by mechanical readouts and sunlight peering in from cracks. There’s a big crystal skull at the end, the last remainder of onetime fuller theming. No more music or strobe lights now. As a coaster, Skull Mountain is…totally forgettable.
enhance

Nitro is anything but forgettable. This is the best B&M hypercoaster I’ve done yet. It begins very similarly to Diamondback, with a big drop (212’) followed by a series of hills. As a B&M, it’s buttery smooth and gentler than an Intamin like El Toro. Given that, Nitro is surprisingly exciting – just a well-executed version of a known ride type. It boasts a return-trip helix which nearly caused me to grey-out. Little pink goblins with pitchforks danced before my eyes.

We go to the Movie Town area – and let it stand that Great America is altogether unthemed, with standard contemporary buildings and basic landscaping. Standing in for a theme, this area confusingly has two unrelated Batman rides – Tim Burton’s Batman: The Ride, and Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Coaster.
enhance

We start with The Dark Knight because AJ wants a break from B&Ms. This is an enclosed Mack Wild Mouse. These coasters top out at “meh,” and this one even enters the realm of painful. I straight-up enunciated “Ouch” on it. Not a good ride.

But then there’s the Dark Knight theming. For Six Flags, they go all-out. There’s a pre-show video complete with Aaron Eckhart’s Harvey Dent. The video is too long, with a lower hourly capacity than the ride itself. There’s on-ride theming too, like static figures of Batman and Joker, and seedy Gotham alleyways. Apparently I missed a lot of specific sights. A Wild Mouse is a poor format for a dark ride, methinks.

Then there’s the wide disparity between the D-ticket ride type and the blockbuster it’s repeating. You inevitably enter with expectations the ride cannot match. I have to agree with the general consensus that Dark Knight is a poor coaster in all regards. “I actively hate it” I declared upon unloading, echoing Josh’s dumb opinion of El Toro.
enhance

Batman: The Ride is the original B&M invert, one which has been cloned across numerous Six Flags parks (including my local Magic Mountain). This one is the second.

AJ is lukewarm on these Batman inverts, which tend to be very short and incredibly forceful. Do you like long periods of sustained positive Gs? I like Batman: The Ride fine. It doesn’t bother me, it doesn’t stand out, it’s a perfectly middle tier ride.
enhance

That queue, however, I loathe. Six Flags often futzes up when they attempt theming! The outside Gotham Park area is inoffensive. The inside, though, simulates a boiling-hot metal tin pipe…by placing you in exactly that. The temps today are nearing 100 as it is, and now the park is actively overheating and dehydrating everyone just before a super forceful roller coaster. Great Adventure should really change this.

Lunchtime! All three of us know better than to eat Six Flags food. Happily there are always in-park chain restaurants as a fallback. AJ does Johnny Rocket’s while Josh and I do Panda Express. Acceptable within the context.

AJ wanted to try a new Cyborg flat ride next, but it’s down for the day.
enhance

Let’s do one more Batman ride based on a totally unrelated DC property – Justice League: Battle for Metropolis. This one’s a Sally Corp. shooter dark ride, a model that Six Flags has cloned across nearly all their parks in the last few years. You could call the ride almost Universal in quality, though the cloning waters it down a lot. In a DisneyVersal park this thing would get long lines, but in a dark ride desert like Great America it’s sparsely attended.

Justice League is a good ride, interactive and fun and thrilling in the way Uni’s Spider-Man is thrilling. Still it’s a ride which which try as I might I just cannot love. It’s a modern dark ride with budget and tech behind it, about a popular IP, and it all feels slightly hollow.
enhance

For contrast we check out an archaic period dark ride, Houdini’s Great Escape. There’s nothing on the mansion’s exterior to suggest what it is – I guess it’ll be a Vekoma Mad House. It has long load cycles, meaning we’re sweating under the hot Six Flags sun for epochs. Entering the mansion, there’s an exposition-heavy pre-show about conjuring Houdini’s spirit, followed by the ride itself…

A Vekoma Mad House. Nailed it!! Only one I’ve done, so I’m stoked. These are odd ducks. You sit in rotating seats in a seemingly solid room. Actually you’re inside a gigantic kaleidoscope. The seats and the room rotate in synch, creating ghostly gravity effects. Then the rotations diverge, and for several dizzifying minutes the barriers of reality break down like in Inception or Doctor Strange.

Houdini’s Great Escape would be a great ride IF it were staffed properly. You cannot bring loose articles onto the ride, which no one mentions until we’re all seated. Then every guest with a souvenir drink bottle or a carnival plush must exit the séance room – crossing the row straight past us seated riders – and then return. And still other guests do not get the hint, and cling to their gear. Eventually they’re found out, repeating the cycle. It takes 5 minutes to get started. All this could be fixed with simple Velcro pouches by the ride seats (like in European Mad Houses).

With most of the park’s big rides done, let’s return to the one that got away. Could there still be a chance of riding Kingda Ka?

Up next: Reaching new heights
Nitro is mine & my husband's favorite coaster at Six Flags (El Toro coming in at a close second)
Our last trip, Superman was closed the entire day -- and Kingda Ka broke down as we were in the queue. Good times!:)

KatieLVT

Just tuning in! Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum are like second homes to me! I grew up very close by and my family always had a membership there. Our elementary school would go on a field trip every year to spend a day in the one room school house. So many great memories! It’s nice to see a new visitor’s perspective on it. Enjoying your report!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom