Virgin Megastone Closing after 5/12

TURKEY

Original Poster
I'm getting really sick of posts like this that are uninformed. There's actually more crimes committed at the theme parks and at some of the resorts than at Downtown Disney on any given day. Just because you dont like some of the entertainment offerings because they dont cater to you, doesn't mean they aren't appropriate or applicable to Disney.

They might demolish the entire west side from AMC over at some point (not because of the crime).

Why? Just consider what is left.

Cirque - is it time for a new show there? I think the original contract is about up. Could another show be put into that building? Might it get torn down?

DisneyQuest - Does it have a future? Can it be kept without getting too outdated?

Virgin - going away.

That's a good chunk of land with those 3 buildings. Maybe something brand new goes there. That's not even counting House of Blues and Wolfgang Puck's that could stay based on their location.

heliumalias

One week's notice seems like quite a lot when you consider that the Zavvi (formerly Virgin) store in central London only told it's staff the day it actually closed.

jt04

I completely agree on the unique experience comment.

I disagree that ESPN Zone would be the right choice. Not a terrible choice, but it's not terribly unique. There are something like 10 of them around the country. I love the sports bar themed restaurant idea, but TDC would be obligated to brand it with ESPN, for obvious reasons.

I think it would be cool to see an ESPN "Zone" that isn't quite like the rest of them around the country (though I admit I've only been to the one in Denver). They are cool, but WDI could really run with the idea, given the chance.

So when are you sending your resume to WDI, JT?? While I don't agree with all of them, you usually have some great ideas how they could better utilize space, new attractions, etc.

I definitely agree WDI could do a great job if allowed in that space. If given a choice, I'd choose WDI's version of anything everytime.

BTW, thanks for the compliment. WDI has real Imagineers, which I would think is a challanging job and filled with truly artistic people. I'm just an "ideas" person, nothing more. But they can use any ideas they like that I put on here. I'd be flattered to say the least.

Hummer1676

I'm surprised there isn't a Cheesecake Factory in DTD. It would be a perfect location. I know there are a lot of restarurants already, but it would be a good fit. If not then put a Grand Lux Cafe. Luv'em.

A lucky strike bowling lanes would be cool or a Dave and Busters as it would fit next to Disneyquest.

How about a FAO Schwartz? Just some random thoughts sorry.

dazzer68

while im not disrespecting ESPN stuff, it has no relevance to international guests, im from uk and have only ever heard of it by it being mentioned on here. so i think a large percentage of guests might be alienated by this. it needs to be something globally recoginsed, like the virgin brand was.
they should have gone with the trenD thing and made that a whole cool young vibe place, funky clothes for men and women, cafe bar, media centres,music areas, a cool young adults funky place with the disney twist.

TheDisneyMagic

while im not disrespecting ESPN stuff, it has no relevance to international guests, im from uk and have only ever heard of it by it being mentioned on here. so i think a large percentage of guests might be alienated by this. it needs to be something globally recoginsed, like the virgin brand was.
they should have gone with the trenD thing and made that a whole cool young vibe place, funky clothes for men and women, cafe bar, media centres,music areas, a cool young adults funky place with the disney twist.

Over time, you will see the ESPN brand cropping up much more outside of the USA, they already have EPSN Classic and ESPN America in the UK. There has been rumors doing the rounds for a while of a possible purchase of Setanta Sports or to even introduce the brand seperately to compete with Setanta and bSkyB.

I agree with you at the moment though, the appeal of ESPN is mainly going to draw a US audience.

chaggy102

I'm surprised there isn't a Cheesecake Factory in DTD. It would be a perfect location. I know there are a lot of restarurants already, but it would be a good fit. If not then put a Grand Lux Cafe. Luv'em.

A lucky strike bowling lanes would be cool or a Dave and Busters as it would fit next to Disneyquest.

There was a Cheesecake Factory in Disney Quest...wasn't that popular from what I remember.

There was a Cheesecake Factory in Disney Quest...wasn't that popular from what I remember.

Don't confuse that food court with a real Cheesecake Factory. The Real thing is SOOOO much better than that was. If Disney is basing popularity of a restaurant on the food court version of the store then they really have lost their mind.

I-4Warrior

I agree with Lucky Strike as a great option for DTD, but I see it as a better fit in the carcass of PI. They would'nt put a Dave & Busters in DTD with DisneyQuest already there (too similar, though with less games than DisneyQuest and mediocre food). FAO would be a fun choice, but with Once Upon a Toy already on property, this wouldn't be an option.

fascion216

ahh .. im totally bummed :mad: i enjoyed and looked forward to heading to virgin at DTD. as a former record store employee, i enjoyed the atmosphere and merchandise selection. im a huge tokidoki and harajuku lovers fan and being from cleveland, ohio i cant find that stuff around here. so it was really amazing to be able to see it all in person. i hope that whatever goes into that space can be unique (aka not an apple store!) and fun.

hrcollectibles

Over time, you will see the ESPN brand cropping up much more outside of the USA, they already have EPSN Classic and ESPN America in the UK. There has been rumors doing the rounds for a while of a possible purchase of Setanta Sports or to even introduce the brand seperately to compete with Setanta and bSkyB.

I agree with you at the moment though, the appeal of ESPN is mainly going to draw a US audience.

And lets nt Forget ESPN Desportes.

I really wish There was a Starbucks on Disney Property.. I know there is one in the Outlet Mall Near Property

I really think Broadway should set up in DTD. Not neccaserily Disney either. Normal Broadway. It could either be a VERY nice theater where tours makes stops while touring the country OR a simi-permanet version of a show. Kinda like what Wicked did in Chicago. It was so popular that the touring cast just stayed put. I think something like that would be amazing for downtown disney.

MissK

I'd not like a Cheesecake Factory simply because I'd rather see unique food offerings in DTD and Cheesecake Factory is anything but :ROFLOL:

It's hard to believe that all the Virgin stores are gone. I know walking past the ones here in NYC all empty breaks my heart. I spent many an hour popping in at like midnight because I was bored.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I'd not like a Cheesecake Factory simply because I'd rather see unique food offerings in DTD and Cheesecake Factory is anything but :ROFLOL:

There is nothing unique about Rain Forest or HoB either. :shrug:
Perhaps thats cause those places are close to me here in Chicago?

Anyway... I dont consider them unique... just another expensive chain(s)... with rather blah offerings. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom