Vinylmation trading boxes to be removed from parks?

tissandtully

Original Poster
Seeing rumors that they will be getting rid of Vinylmation trading boxes from the parks, can anyone else confirm? Seems like just another fun thing being taken away from the parks.

dreamfinder

The market/trend is certainly slowing down. Lots of the sets have gone from 12 per down to 6 or 8 per. Even the DisneyStore.com website has a fraction of the series listed for sale they used to. Much like the "official" pin trading areas, I could see them consolidating the vinylmation trading spots down somewhat to meet demand. They ran the market into the ground with so many releases for a year or two and I think it burnt out way faster than it would have if they tempered the releases a bit.

tissandtully

Original Poster
The market/trend is certainly slowing down. Lots of the sets have gone from 12 per down to 6 or 8 per. Even the DisneyStore.com website has a fraction of the series listed for sale they used to. Much like the "official" pin trading areas, I could see them consolidating the vinylmation trading spots down somewhat to meet demand. They ran the market into the ground with so many releases for a year or two and I think it burnt out way faster than it would have if they tempered the releases a bit.
There's apparently still a bunch of releases planned, mostly Eachez releases, which are actually a bit more fun as there's 1 common and 1 variant, which means it's a bit more exciting to try to get the variant and it is usually worth more as well as they are limited to 250 variants per eachez release. The latest variant Eachez of Peter Parker have sold on eBay for $120. I enjoy the artwork on Vinylmations more than pins, so I really hope they aren't dying totally.

dreamfinder

There's apparently still a bunch of releases planned, mostly Eachez releases, which are actually a bit more fun as there's 1 common and 1 variant, which means it's a bit more exciting to try to get the variant and it is usually worth more as well as they are limited to 250 variants per eachez release. The latest variant Eachez of Peter Parker have sold on eBay for $120. I enjoy the artwork on Vinylmations more than pins, so I really hope they aren't dying totally.

Which is most likely how it should have been done from the start. I remember a year or so stretch where there was seemingly a major release every other week. I saw plenty of collectors complaining about the volume, and not being able to afford all those releases. There is definitely still a market for the well done pieces, but most of the urban series were lost on most park guests, and even some of the park series were hard to identify with.

Fox&Hound

My wife and I love the vinylmation, but only the characters we can identify with: villians series, pixar, Mickey Christmas Carol, nerds, animation, Muppets, Pirates, park exclusives, etc. The random series: cutesters, urban, random colors, etc really flooded the market. I agree that they just put out too many and there has been a decline in the quality recently. The last pixar series to come out was really poor quality. Sad to see this go as it was a fun thing to collect and trade. Every time I went to the park I swore I would not collect them and every time I'd spend way too much collecting a new series....

MissM

Ok, you could have just said they aren't your thing. Creepy just makes it seem you're taking a dig at someone else's hobby.
I disagree. I find a lot of the styles creepy too. They just often look like really...deformed versions of characters. Which is kinda creepy to me as well. I don't think sharing one's feelings is insulting or demeaning anyone else's hobby any more than expressing a pro or con about anything. If someone says, "I think Dole Whips are gross" it isn't an attack on me because I happen love them. It's just someone's opinion.

I think the idea is neat but the execution is just...weird. And sorta disturbing to my aesthetic sense.

tissandtully

Original Poster
I used to love collecting/buying vinylmation. I found they were putting out too many new series too quick. We couldn't keep up with them!
Yeah, see the thing is, I don't feel compelled to collect every series, just the specific ones I like, I don't even feel compelled to complete series.

Sora_Keyblade

I like blind box toys and all, but Vinylmations never really appealed to me. Some of the designs were fun, but I never had the urge to collect them.
Now, collectible figures of park related things? I'd be all over those. They could cash in big time on nostalgia,too.

DW1

The point is a LOT of people do like collecting them (as seen by all the Facebook groups with thousands of members). Some of those figures sell in upwards of $500+. The "Eachez" and variants sell for $120-$300 instantly if you are lucky enough to find one. They are VERY popular and sought after.

A lot of the fun of the collecting was also trading in the parks. The trade boxes are something that a lot of people and a lit of kids really have fun with. I understand narrowing it down to a select few locations but why eliminate them all together. And, just to be clear, Disney is continuing to make and sell Vinylmations, they are just removing the trade boxes from the parks. Really no good reason as to why they would do that.

dreamfinder

And, just to be clear, Disney is continuing to make and sell Vinylmations, they are just removing the trade boxes from the parks. Really no good reason as to why they would do that.

I'd say they have one. Look at the shift in the vinyls being made and marketed. I haven't followed nearly as closely as I once did, but with the introduction of eachez and the continued window boxing, the need to trade has gone way down. And even with the blind box sets, the numbers of commons are down from the smaller case size. So you still have people wanting to collect the variants and chasers, but now with a much smaller amount of commons floating around for the normal park guest to trade. They definitely seem to be moving from the overall trading into more of a target collecting. Which is slightly ironic since they phased out the 9" which definitely targeted collectors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom