'Villains Unleashed' hard ticketed event coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios in August

YodaMan

A few more quick comments: Merch sales began almost exactly at 5 PM and you had to have your credentials to buy anything. And when you come to a Villains event at 5 PM and nothing villain-y starts until 8 PM, of course people are going to decide to buy merch. If you didn't care about rides, it was honestly the only thing to do for the first three hours. Hence the long lines and the selling out.

And in regards to Constantine, my argument was that it was THE Constantine. Three hours was a long wait, but I got to meet the actual Constantine Muppet that was being performed by the actual performer from the film. That made it far more exciting than any of the meet-and-greets with characters that I will probably get to see at least some point in my lifetime.

PhotoDave219

Merchandise for the event was sold at least an hour before the event started and you didn't have to show credentials to purchase, either. So while some people that didn't purchase tickets to the event got to buy merchandise, some others that did purchase a ticket didn't get to buy merchandise because it sold out well before the event was over.

Okay. That's exactly what I heard from a guest. You're not sitting at the boardwalk, are you?

mhead

It was awful. I'm a 14 year AP holder and been to many hard ticket events and this was the worst one ever. No I didn't expect to get to see all of the characters but I did expect my kids would get to more than one-and that is all they got. We should not have had to pick one character when paying nearly 70 bucks a pop. Those that went to go on rides I am sure were pleased but those that went for event specific activities got screwed. This crap confirms what I suspected when they jacked up the child AP price to that of an adult, it is only about money now and not the guest.

Magenta Panther

It was awful. I'm a 14 year AP holder and been to many hard ticket events and this was the worst one ever. No I didn't expect to get to see all of the characters but I did expect my kids would get to more than one-and that is all they got. We should not have had to pick one character when paying nearly 70 bucks a pop. Those that went to go on rides I am sure were pleased but those that went for event specific activities got screwed. This crap confirms what I suspected when they jacked up the child AP price to that of an adult, it is only about money now and not the guest.

Wouldn't it be nice if Disney got a load of bad publicity about this, and started cleaning up its act and offering fair value to park guests, like Walt intended?

crazydudex

Went. Expected a **** show going in. Got merch first, knew that line would be long; watched the beginning of Hades Hangout, saw Oogie Boogie, met Star Lord + Gamora - so at this point (9:30pm), we thought we were doing pretty well.

1st sign of danger: They were running out of maps by 8pm. MAPS.

Gantu and Hamsterviel were characters that they brought in from Tokyo. Line was long for Gantu, and no one knows who Hamsterviel is so his was pretty short if you caught him when he was on-stage. Our group split up so we could actually get the characters we wanted done, done. But Constantine? Forget it. Maleficent? Nope. Queen? Witch? Ficilier? No no no. It was basically a "choose one e-ticket villain to line up for, because you're not going to get to see more than that."

I don't think this would've been a problem if park hours were simply extended past 1am, or the event started before 8pm (in terms of M&G). Long lines were a given, but 5 hours with those lines? It doesn't make sense. You'd waste two or three hours - half your event - waiting to see one Villain. And that isn't worth the price of admission to me.

I can confirm that DHS GR was giving out refunds, asking guests if they wanted comp'd tickets to MNSSHP / Christmas party, Fastpasses... Our refund request was issued, and I guess we'll be hearing from them in a week about completing that process. Never dealt with that before at the parks, so I'm not sure how it all works.

But hey - I've got fastpasses to Midway Mania in the morning. Not a bad way to end my yearly trip.

Magenta Panther

Hold on, let me use my crystal ball and channel the essence of Magenta Panther...

*AHEM*

Because those people in the line are immature, easily amused peons! They don't have sophisticated tastes! I hate fun and merriment! Christmas is cancelled! DIE MUPPETS DIE!

*shakes off*

Whew! Not doing that again.

Good. You're no Madame Leota. :D

Hey, I love fun and merriment, which is why I respond to your dopey comments - shooting you down is such a kick. And FWIW, I think it's nice that the people who actually watched that movie showed up at this overpriced disaster of an event to meet their felt hero. Too bad there were too few of them to keep the movie from tanking, but oh well.

Oh, by the way:

Collider.com: During the interview, Stoller talked about not knowing why Muppets Most Wanted flopped

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/box-office-divergent-tops-while-muppets-flop-215516938.html

http://time.com/34783/divergent-is-no-twilight-but-starts-strong-while-muppets-are-not-wanted/

Et cetera, et cetera...

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The place to meet the characters was at "Club Villain." One of the green rooms was back there, so a lot of the villains had to walk through the restaurant to get there. I was in the restaurant for a good hour watching my good friend Torchella croon, and as the villains were walking through to get to the green room, they were stopping at tables and chatting, where applicable. Saw Cruella, the Tremaines, Ratcliffe, Hook, and Smee with no waiting or fighting crowds.

SirLink

Wowzer. Just catching up with friends after the event. Friends that should know.

What a mess.

I guess they didn't learn enough from last year.

I was just going to say, I'm surprised they didn't wait until October when it is slightly cooler and could of sold four nights worth of tickets over Friday, Saturday and Sunday (i.e. 24th to 26th and 31st). Plus the layout of Hollywood Studios doesn't make it easier for these hard ticketed events maybe ... :cautious: ... if they reduced the amount of tickets to 8,000 per party and had more nights they could make it appear to of sold out and actually create more demand in the process.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Wowzer. Just catching up with friends after the event. Friends that should know.

What a mess.

I guess they didn't learn enough from last year.

I have been thinking about this more then it probably warrants, but a couple of things popped into my head, maybe you have an answer or two for me.

1. Since this is a one night event, how much does it cost Disney to produce? With an event like MNSSHP they can spread the entertainment costs over multiple parties to decrease per night expenditure. But for a one night party, they need to take entertainment CMs and train them and rehearse, and build sets and costumes, all for one evening. So the cost must be higher. Which is maybe why they sold unlimited tickets?

2. Why is this only one night? Why not run this from say, now, till the end of September once a week? Spread out the costs, lower the guest cap to a more reasonable number, and have more, happier customers?

Matt_Black

Good. You're no Madame Leota. :D

Hey, I love fun and merriment, which is why I respond to your dopey comments - shooting you down is such a kick. And FWIW, I think it's nice that the people who actually watched that movie showed up at this overpriced disaster of an event to meet their felt hero. Too bad there were too few of them to keep the movie from tanking, but oh well.

Oh, by the way:

Collider.com: During the interview, Stoller talked about not knowing why Muppets Most Wanted flopped

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/box-office-divergent-tops-while-muppets-flop-215516938.html

http://time.com/34783/divergent-is-no-twilight-but-starts-strong-while-muppets-are-not-wanted/

Et cetera, et cetera...

It's already made back it's production budget and then some, and that doesn't even take into account home entertainment sales, as the data doesn't appear to be in yet.

deanaandrich

For anyone that went both last year and this year, were the fireworks the same? I loved them last year- thought they were some of the best I had ever seen on property.

Dad 2 M & M

Had a blast last night at Villains...headed back to Atl now....So, what did you think?

1)No wait to most attractions; even TSMM was 40 mins.....If you want to go to DHS and just ride rides, this was a supreme opportunity for about 1/3 off $$
2) Many characters, but long meet and greet lines....others roamed the park for quick photo-ops

The ONLY, and I say ONLY bummer was the merchandise was consolidated to one area, and the line was not worth the sacrifice of time for the "maybe" to get 3 Ts I was attempting to purchase.

Will definitely do it again!!!

natatomic

Was the parking detour as big a mess as it seemed? The way I go home from work, I pass just about every sign going towards Celebration and I4, and while most of them told you where to turn, I noticed the sign off the exit ramp from Osceola taking you south onto World drive did NOT say where to go. It just said "Studios Parking Detour" (or whatever it was). I myself even wondered, "Does that mean they stay in this lane and take the exit, or do they go straight to get onto World Drive?" Well, once I got near that blinking traffic light just off property, I realized that cars were SUPPOSED to go straight, because there was another sign there directing cars to turn right at the light, which would take them back to 192, and from there they'd get to the DHS main toll plaza.

However, before, when I was turning off of Osceola, I noticed a HUGE line of cars at that last light (the one right over the bridge above the McDonald's...imagine you were coming from DAK and going to any of the other three parks - THAT light). I couldn't even SEE the end of the line. I thought it was weird so many people would be coming from that direction, at first. My guess is that once people got off Osceola and the sign didn't direct them to change lanes to avoid taking that immediate exit ramp BACK onto Osceola, everyone just basically stayed in that lane and ended up making circle after continuous circle.

Even if they knew where they were going and got it right the first time, good grief, it was like a 20 minute detour!

Last edited:

Mike S

10520519_10203464563469257_7302207384278139341_n.jpg
Star Lord looks good but Gamora, yeeeeeesh. Did they even try?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom