Viking Ship Play Area In Norway

awilliams4

Original Poster
Does anyone know why the Viking Ship Play Area (the ship itself near the bathrooms) is closed? We were there between November 23rd to December 2nd and were disappointed to find it that way. I have already emailed Disney questioning this about 2 weeks ago but they have not responded.

I hope it was not due to children rough housing without parental supervision that forced this.

Thank you.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
awilliams4 said:
Does anyone know why the Viking Ship Play Area (the ship itself near the bathrooms) is closed? We were there between November 23rd to December 2nd and were disappointed to find it that way. I have already emailed Disney questioning this about 2 weeks ago but they have not responded.

I hope it was not due to children rough housing without parental supervision that forced this.

Thank you.
it could have been due to a protein spill or a bloody chin..... you know, biohazard reasons. maybe that is why QR hasnt replied, they might not have gotten the memo to close for clean-up.

just an idea

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It has been closed for quite some time now and I was wondering why myself.

This is complete speculation but CCA pressure treated lumber is no longer allowed to be used in residential and playground construction and that entire play area appears to be made with CCA pressure treated lumber. I surmised that Disney was acting on the side of caution by closing the attraction until it could either be removed or rebuilt with the new ACQ pressure treated lumber or a polymer/lumber composite material.

Again all of that was just speculation. I have no inside knowledge or facts to support that info.

Closed on 12/11

We were there on 12/11 and it was closed around 4:00 PM EST. Does anyone know if a Cast Member has to be there to supervise the attraction? If so maybe they were short staffed a few days and closed the attraction so other things could be kept open. Just an idea.

Hurricane

Master Yoda said:
It has been closed for quite some time now and I was wondering why myself.

This is complete speculation but CCA pressure treated lumber is no longer allowed to be used in residential and playground construction and that entire play area appears to be made with CCA pressure treated lumber. I surmised that Disney was acting on the side of caution by closing the attraction until it could either be removed or rebuilt with the new ACQ pressure treated lumber or a polymer/lumber composite material.

Again all of that was just speculation. I have no inside knowledge or facts to support that info.

What housing code are you citing? And would it apply in Reedy Creek? (I'm admittedly not an expert on building codes, my area is law and real estate)

Mecha Figment

the boat does require a cast member to be there to supervise the attraction. it is however a low priority and if no one is avalable .. tough cookies. it was opened in may.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hurricane said:
What housing code are you citing? And would it apply in Reedy Creek? (I'm admittedly not an expert on building codes, my area is law and real estate)
From my understanding it was nation wide voluntary removal of CCA (Chromated copper arsenate) pressure treated lumber not just a local or state building code. Pretty much it is still allowed in some commercial applications but manufactures are no longer allowed to produce it so when the current supply runs out thats it. The ban was due to concerns of the arsenic used in CCA leaching into the soil, ground water and kids that chew on playground equipment. The replacement for it is called ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary) pressure treated which works about the same but the chemicals used in it causes most electro glavinized connectors (nails, hangers, and truss plates) to corrode at a much faster rate. The ACQ requires the use of stainless steel or hot dipped galvanized connectors which are much more expensive.

islandbeachnut

It's still closed

During our trip 2/8 -2/18, we visited Epcot at least once/day at various times and it was always closed. My kids were bummed! :veryconfu

Justa' BigKid

When we were there Thanksgiving '05 it was closed but people were just lifting there kids over there barriers. The kids were climbing like crazy. Very dangerous.

ScrapIron

It was closed in July. Just speculation, but I smell lawyers and insurance people at work. They've certainly done a job on most of the play areas in DL.

Cheers.

PhilharMagician

It was closed December 4 - 10 2004, August 24 - September 3 2005, November 24 - December 3, February 8 - 10. I now have not seen it open since Oct 2003. I just figured it was closed down for safety reasons and would not reopen. I am really surprised to hear that they would open it up if they had a CM available. I thats the case I would think it would have opened up around the Thanksgiving holiday when we were there with all of the crowds.:brick:

Lightyear

My kids ALWAYS get hurt on that thing. One of them falls off this one platform every time. As we pass I try the "hey you two look across the lake" trick every trip now.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Justa' BigKid said:
When we were there Thanksgiving '05 it was closed but people were just lifting there kids over there barriers. The kids were climbing like crazy. Very dangerous.

Never climbed trees then?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom