Video Walkthrough of the Copper Creek Villas Models

WDW1974

God, do these look like crap. They have absolutely destroyed my favorite resort. Totally taken the theming away for some cheap decoration. I honestly didn't believe they would be close to this bad. They don't mesh with the theme or look of the resort, but I am reasonably sure they'll make the rest as generic and plain as this is. Pseudo upscale meets IKEA.

flyerjab

Original Poster
Thanks for posting these videos, @flyerjab

At the prices they're asking, I'm as surprised as @WDW1974 about the lack of theming. I could be talked into believing that the entryway and bathroom were part of anything from Old Key West, to Beach Club, to possibly Bay Lake Tower.

No problem @lentesta as I felt it necessary to record seeing as how the concept art was getting outright blasted. I wanted to give people something real to look at.

I still think the grand Villas and cabins look better IMO.

WDW1974

Thanks for posting these videos, @flyerjab

At the prices they're asking, I'm as surprised as @WDW1974 about the lack of theming. I could be talked into believing that the entryway and bathroom were part of anything from Old Key West, to Beach Club, to possibly Bay Lake Tower.

I don't know what they're thinking @lentesta . ... At all. They spent decades making staying on property (one could argue 45 years, but I'll just say since the Eisner and Wells building boom starting in the 80s) such a special deal because of these truly amazing themed resorts. And now? Now, they all seem to be going for the Marriott, Starwood, Hilton 'this is our BRAND look and we'll add a few decorations to make people know they're at the BW or OKW or WL."

There is no theme there. They are putting these things into the masterpiece on architecture and placemaking that is the WL. How were these ever approved. Calling them crap doesn't go far enough. There is nothing in them that makes them special. I know they think that things like rainforest showerheads are special. I think I first came upon them in Asia a decade ago ... maybe Vegas.

I spoke at length with DVC VP Ken Potrock late last year and he gave a really good Brooklyn (that is where he's from) sales pitch. A wait and see, most especially when my significant other started complaining about the slaughter of trees. Well, we waited and, honestly, this is worse than even we expected -- which I'm sure you can get is saying something.

I guess I can simply look at my pictures and ephemera from the 150 nights I spent here before they decided to destroy it in a pure act of greed.

WDW1974

No problem @lentesta as I felt it necessary to record seeing as how the concept art was getting outright blasted. I wanted to give people something real to look at.

I still think the grand Villas and cabins look better IMO.

I think what looked better was the WL and VWL from 1994-2014. This abomination can't be pixie dusted away. Abject greed on Disney's part.

flyerjab

Original Poster
I think what looked better was the WL and VWL from 1994-2014. This abomination can't be pixie dusted away. Abject greed on Disney's part.

Yes, the aesthetic for The Copper Creek rooms is very different from the Boulder Ridge. We were actually staying in a BR room when we went to the model at SSR. My issue is I don't really care for the style of the BR rooms. We were thinking of possibly buying here but now we are not sure.

We did a split stay in BR Villas and the BC Villas. We actually found the BC Villas to be more to our liking. And the proximity to Epcot is rather nice. We most likely will be looking for BC resales now.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

God, do these look like crap. They have absolutely destroyed my favorite resort. Totally taken the theming away for some cheap decoration. I honestly didn't believe they would be close to this bad. They don't mesh with the theme or look of the resort, but I am reasonably sure they'll make the rest as generic and plain as this is. Pseudo upscale meets IKEA.

Pleakley

Very blah indeed. You could tell me this was a new aloft in NYC and I would believe you. As for pros, I do like the soaking tub and the floors. And the paneling on the doors, I guess. Too bad the cabinets couldn't have matched, they look like they belong in a garage.

As a side note, I don't understand the closet redesign. They did the same thing over at YC. Why such a tiny space to actually hang clothes?

Richie248

Been a while since I posted but WL is my favorite resort. The design and decor of these villas are very generic (to say the least), it almost looks as if they shopped off the clearance rack at Home Depot. No charm, no character. Was hoping for better.

radiohost

Give me a break...It's not even close to the talent the company once had. Besides, it's mostly contracted engineers and designers who are laid off after a project is over.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Sheese. I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't that. So drastically vanilla, that you would never in a million years guess you were staying at one of the best themed resorts in WDW. They missed the mark by quite a bit. Thank God I could never afford to stay in one of these. ;)

matt9112

Sheese. I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't that. So drastically vanilla, that you would never in a million years guess you were staying at one of the best themed resorts in WDW. They missed the mark by quite a bit. Thank God I could never afford to stay in one of these. ;)

you and me both.

Pleakley

Thinking about it some more, what's with this company and beige lately? This goes for about all the recent renos. I know some people complained about some of the wallpaper and carpeting and whatnot in the deluxes, which I won't deny was getting a bit garish and outdated. But talk about a 180. They don't have to sacrifice color or fun to be up to par.

note2001

Give me a break...It's not even close to the talent the company once had. Besides, it's mostly contracted engineers and designers who are laid off after a project is over.
It certainly does look as though the room design was done by an outside agency with no investment in the property other than to save money while meeting the minimum requirements for the rooms.

The room layout itself for the one bedroom unit is more than odd, and quite cramped. I don't understand why they'd try for a big beautiful bathroom only to take away from the areas in which people will spend most of their time, meaning the kitchen and living rooms. I'm no architect, nor do I have the plans, but it seems that those walls could have been drawn up a bit differently while keeping with the structure to allow for more living area.

Last edited:

Rob562

Holy echo chamber, Batman! Solid floors, solid walls, solid ceiling, almost no cloth surfaces anywhere... I know "wood" floors are "in" right now, but you need to offset them with noise-absorbing surfaces. Can you imagine being in the room next to a family with a screaming child? (Or in the room with the screaming child...)

I have no interest in staying in these. Saratoga's rooms have more character...

-Rob

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

It certainly does look as though the room design was done by an outside agency with no investment in the property other than to save money while meeting the minimum requirements for the rooms.

The room layout itself for the one bedroom unit is more than odd, and quite cramped. I don't understand why they'd try for a big beautiful bathroom only to take away from the areas in which people will spend most of their time, meaning the kitchen and living rooms. I'm no architect, nor do I have the plans, but it seems that those walls could have been drawn up a bit differently while keeping with the structure to allow for more living area.
I'm no architect either.... I DO know one or two things about the constraints WDW encountered in the Main Lodge South Wing....

1) As Pretty as the WL is, WDW was smart to design it along Business Building lines. Major support on exterior, Metal wall framing. Over the last 2 years - we've gotten to observe the gutting of the South Wing first hand, from Bolder Ridge. LOADS of metal wall studs, LOADS of duct work were torn out.

2) Now - one would think that this would give them a blank slate..... Well, not quite :). Think about existing Main Electrical and Main Plumbing feeds :). And floor to floor central supports (they HAD to have some of these). Main connecting corridors on the separate floors? Problem - the workers had to stand somewhere :).

Retrofitting an existing building can be a nightmare. No matter what - SOMETHING is "in the way" :). I think WDW did a fairly good job of laying out what COULD be laid out, in a building that was fundamentally designed around 1993-1994.

...and this is the tradeoff that must be expected from DVC buyers of retrofitted buildings. As much as WDW would LOVE to sell you exactly what you want? Physics keeps getting in the way :). I suspect they had the same issue retrofitting POLY Hotel space :).

Now - none of the above applies to the furniture choices :).
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

ToTBellHop

I feel it is important to understand the "story" here. Boulder Ridge is the original development for the area circa 1850 as part of a mining operation. The main lodge came around 1900 as wealthy tourists started to visit the area. Copper Creek came on line around 1950 as the area became a popular tourist destination.

We may not like the look of the new villas, but they are meant to look this way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom