Video of Zebra Habitat on Kilimanjaro Safaris

nepalostparks

Original Poster
Was at the World this past weekend, and wanted to share the video I took of the zebra habitat area on KS.

Rode twice, and each driver had a different spiel about the area. The first (not in the video) made no mention of the poachers, etc, and referenced the geysers and sped through that area like the old safari. She did also point out the new habitat being built for the zebras.

The second one, in the video below, played up the poachers theme a little, but drove slowly through the geysers and didn't mention them at all.

[youtube]hgsAgY0KDcg[/youtube]

dreamscometrue

Thanks for posting that. I'm looking forward to seeing this area at Christmas. I'm also curious as to what the story/spiel will be then. :)

jt04

I can't believe how much I am looking forward to this and the other rumored upgrades they are testing for possible implementation.

We need hyenas if at all possible. :eek:

GrumpyFan

Since theyre changing the attraction, I would like to submit the following ideas for a makeover.

I propose two tracks/versions of the attraction, selectable by the guest before they get on the trucks. As is, the queue already splits in two at the load area. They could easily make one load area designated for the Safari only, where there would be no story, just a driver/guide who would point out the different animals, their characteristics and other random facts while on the ride.

In order to keep the ride somewhat entertaining, the other load area could be for a story-oriented ride thru maybe aimed at a younger or family audience. Since the attraction is currently focused around finding the elephant, Little Red, I thought, why not keep it elephant focused, but add characters from a Disney movie who were specifically tasked with finding someone. In Disney's The Jungle Book, a herd of elephants led by Colonel Hathi, is recruited by Bagheera to help find the lost man cub, Mowgli, who has run off into the jungle and is in danger of being killed by Shere Khan.

The load area would be changed to include pictures of the Colonel, his wife and his son, in the background they could maybe play a music loop of the March from the movie. At some point before you load, Colonel Hathi could either come on in a video, or just audio, and yells out: “COMPANYYY! ATTENTION! Very Good! Welcome to the Dawn Patrol. Today we will be marching thru the Savannah on a mission to… “ when the Colonel is interrupted by his son, Hathi Jr. “Hey Pop, Hey Pop! There’s a lost elephant wandering around the Savannah.” As in the movie, Hathi is reluctant to change his plans, but Jr and maybe even Winifred convince him and says his name is Little Red and he’ll get hurt if he’s not found. Throughout the ride, the Colonel and Jr are talking back and forth to you and each other as you search for Little Red. Along the way the driver is also conversing and telling you a little about the animals you are passing by, and where the animals are, interspersing comments about Little Red, and asking if anybody sees him. As before, the story would be loosely wound around the exhibits and the driver. They could add in music from The Jungle Book or other Disney music, perhaps even the same music they currently “tune in” on the radio, as many people seem to enjoy it.

Tip Top Club

Animal Kingdom's stories, for the most part are centered around real live animals and the real nature surrounding them...No more so than in Africa and Asia. That's all I have to say about that.

GrumpyFan

Animal Kingdom's stories, for the most part are centered around real live animals and the real nature surrounding them...No more so than in Africa and Asia. That's all I have to say about that.

Good point. I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think the attraction needs some kind of diversion for the afternoon runs when most of the animals are out of sight, seeking shade and there's not much to see. So, if a better story can be imagined, or some other diversion for the slower times to keep it entertaining and prevent guests from feeling like they just rode thru a hot, dry savannah, then I'm all for it. But, please try and make it less preachy for the next version.

The Duck

Since theyre changing the attraction, I would like to submit the following ideas for a makeover.

In order to keep the ride somewhat entertaining, the other load area could be for a story-oriented ride thru maybe aimed at a younger or family audience. Since the attraction is currently focused around finding the elephant, Little Red, I thought, why not keep it elephant focused, but add characters from a Disney movie who were specifically tasked with finding someone. In Disney's The Jungle Book, a herd of elephants led by Colonel Hathi, is recruited by Bagheera to help find the lost man cub, Mowgli, who has run off into the jungle and is in danger of being killed by Shere Khan.
One (of many) problems. "The Jungle Book" takes place in India while KS is in Africa. Different animals altogether, especially the elephants.

nepalostparks

Original Poster
I just wish they had a better baseline script for the drivers to use at this point. Neither version I heard on Saturday was bad, but I didn't feel either of them was all that good. More just filler to pass the time driving through; talking a lot but not really saying anything of substance.

GrumpyFan

One (of many) problems. "The Jungle Book" takes place in India while KS is in Africa. Different animals altogether, especially the elephants.

Very true, and this thought crossed my mind as well. However, this is Disney, and it's just a fictional story that would be made up as a reason to be on the Savannah. I'm not saying that the original story doesn't matter, but for the purpose of keeping it entertaining, I think it's a minor but acceptable change.

I should add, Hathi and Jr came to mind simply because of how they were used in The Jungle Book, and their being what I would consider a close fit to what's needed. I agree, there are issues because of the original story, and they may not be the best fit, but no others came to mind. They would seem to be about as good of a fit or maybe slightly better as the characters from Dinosaur were for Countdown to Extinction when Disney re-themed that attraction.

steve76

Thanks for the video! I've been wondering a while what that part of the safaris looks like at the moment - I had assumed it just a maze of construction walls. Can't wait to see the finished product!

nepalostparks

Original Poster
It's a video of some new sod. :p:wave:

From a visual standpoint - mostly :lol:

But it also shows the blinds, the removal of almost all of the poacher camp, equipment, as well as Little Red and the jeep. And you get to hear one driver's spiel through the section.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom