Video Camera Suggestions

disneycouple07

Original Poster
Looking to buy a new video camera for our trip in December. I don't need anything fancy but would like some suggestions.

CP_alum08

I am by no means an expert on video, but judging by most of the comments I read, I think most people will suggest a DSLR. You get HD video and the benefit of being able to take high quality stills too.

RonAnnArbor

I think investing in a video camera at this point in time is not worth it -- almost all digital cameras now have excellent video cameras built-in, and they are more compact. Take a look at things like the Canon S100, now available for about 250.00 which takes better video than almost any stand-alone video camera, and it fits in your jeans pocket...and it also takes superb photos. I have a Sony RX100, and the video is simply stunning.

thomas998

I think investing in a video camera at this point in time is not worth it -- almost all digital cameras now have excellent video cameras built-in, and they are more compact. Take a look at things like the Canon S100, now available for about 250.00 which takes better video than almost any stand-alone video camera, and it fits in your jeans pocket...and it also takes superb photos. I have a Sony RX100, and the video is simply stunning.

I was tempted to get one of the RX100s for my wife to use for all the school events and things like that... was wondering how does it do in low light for video and can it zoom while recording? Also how much compression does it hit the video with?

NowInc

The one thing camcorders have over any DSLR or most compact cameras is image stabilization as well as "form fitted" to be hand held (and thus also giving you steadier shots). This is a big reason why there is still a market for these. That being said, I have to be sadly unhelpful in this field as I have not reviewed any camcorder in quite some time :(

thomas998

The one thing camcorders have over any DSLR or most compact cameras is image stabilization as well as "form fitted" to be hand held (and thus also giving you steadier shots). This is a big reason why there is still a market for these. That being said, I have to be sadly unhelpful in this field as I have not reviewed any camcorder in quite some time :(
Not sure the image stabilization is true. I was under the impression that DSLRs that had IS still had it when you were taking video with them too.

NowInc

Not sure the image stabilization is true. I was under the impression that DSLRs that had IS still had it when you were taking video with them too.

The IS on a lens is good for still images, but from my experiences, not ideal for video. usually the stabilization in camcorders is digital and designed specifically for motion. HOWEVER I will admit its been a very long time since I've even looked into this, so I could be mistaken as well.

Blufusion

I bought the Sony A57 DSLR camera for my Hawaiian vacaction last summer. I worked in TV production for 25 yrs. Im used to having the best quality of video. This was my 1st DSLR and I'm more than pleased. HD is great ! Pictures are great and the prices have dropped to almost half by now. Check that out or the next step up the A77. I would recommend both they have everything.

Blufusion

The IS on my camera worked great on both video and camera. I took a helicopter ride while on vacaction . And it worked perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom