Very Un-Disney Restaurant Policies

DisAl

Well the system shouldn't have glitched, and yet it did. Life isn't perfect. And anyone who expects things to run perfectly 100% of the time is setting themselves up for huge disappointments.

People really need to learn how to deal with problems with a bit of grace.
We dealt with the problems with more grace than Disney (the corporation) deserved. I always try to treat the person I am talking to with courtesy and respect. After all, THEY did not create the problem, and if they are trying to help me I appreciate their efforts. The fact remains though that WDW has some incredibly poor IT systems that could be addressed with just a little effort.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'll admit to being very pro-Disney because I think they provide a high-quality experience. I've been called a Disney defender, a shill for the company and lord knows what else on these forums. But the OP is on the side of the angels here. Disney was wrong and they don't deserve a pass on this one. If you purchase the dining plan it's Disney's job to make sure you can use it with no issues. If problems do arise, there should be a plan in place to address them that doesn't involve the guest paying twice and then trying to get his money back.

daisyduckie

We dealt with the problems with more grace than Disney (the corporation) deserved. I always try to treat the person I am talking to with courtesy and respect. After all, THEY did not create the problem, and if they are trying to help me I appreciate their efforts. The fact remains though that WDW has some incredibly poor IT systems that could be addressed with just a little effort.

I totally agree. But guests can only expect a CM to do what the system will allow them to do. I do agree the system needs a lot of work.

RobWDW1971

No. Disney needs to fix the system. Don’t try and shift the blame to the consumer.
If you are paying for a system that doesn't work, you're ensuring Disney has no motivation to ever fix it. Unless it is a government mandated product, customers control the outcome. One only has to look at what happened to taxis (Uber), the post office (UPS), cable companies (over the top streaming), etc. the moment competition was allowed. The consumer dictates what companies do and who survives. By continuing to purchase their terrible product, you are both endorsing it and providing no incentive to fix it.

For me personally, I read these reviews of the Disney Dining program and I simply don't buy it and purchase my meals when/where I wish. The service/quality at the Disney Deluxe hotels has continued to decline, so I now stay off property. There are choices for the consumer.

I would think one would ask themselves "I am fully aware the product stinks, so why am I paying a premium price for it?" (BTW, Disney hopes you never ask yourself that)

Last edited:
A few years ago, I had this happen to me at La Hacienda. Their system was down, so I gave them a credit card to charge the meal. The next day I went to guest relations at my resort. They refunded the charge and gave me 2 extra dining credits. I ended up eating at an unexpected signature restaurant with the extra credits. My situation ended up being a good one. I had no problem charging my card because I knew I could always appeal it after the fact. I'm an easy going calm person and I don't let stuff bother me.

MissingDisney

A few years ago, I had this happen to me at La Hacienda. Their system was down, so I gave them a credit card to charge the meal. The next day I went to guest relations at my resort. They refunded the charge and gave me 2 extra dining credits. I ended up eating at an unexpected signature restaurant with the extra credits. My situation ended up being a good one. I had no problem charging my card because I knew I could always appeal it after the fact. I'm an easy going calm person and I don't let stuff bother me.

Agree....if it’s early in the trip, it can be worked out, if necessary. We’ve had it happen as well but it was our last night, using our last 4 credits, with an early Magical Express pickup the next morning. Crediting me the next day or even later that evening meant nothing. This remedy doesn’t work for everyone and can’t be the ”go to” solution.

Jon81uk

Yep I think this is absolutely the best and simplest way to deal with it, pay (or charge to room account) for the meal and the hotel front desk can refund and use credits then they are in the best situation to offer compensation.
The restaurants in the Mexican pavilion are run by a third-party (in fact a majority of the world showcase places are) and therefore they are not best placed to offer compensation when things go wrong with the dining plan.
I don't think there has been any reports of the front desk not being able to resolve these kind of mistakes.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yep I think this is absolutely the best and simplest way to deal with it, pay (or charge to room account) for the meal and the hotel front desk can refund and use credits then they are in the best situation to offer compensation.
The restaurants in the Mexican pavilion are run by a third-party (in fact a majority of the world showcase places are) and therefore they are not best placed to offer compensation when things go wrong with the dining plan.
I don't think there has been any reports of the front desk not being able to resolve these kind of mistakes.
So let the restaurant contact the front desk and they can sort it out between themselves. Rather than asking the customer to double pay.

Prince-1

I agreed to pay but warned him there would be consequences. This post is but one of my possible actions.

Lol. This made my day.

I'm sure you scared them with your "threat" of possible consequences!! I hope they were able to sleep knowing you were going to post a negative experience you had on a silly thread you created on a silly Disney fan based website.

Gotta love this whole internet thing lol. 😂 😂

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Lol. This made my day.

I'm sure you scared them with your "threat" of possible consequences!! I hope they were able to sleep knowing you were going to post a negative experience you had on a silly thread you created on a silly Disney fan based website.

This made my day. Gotta love this whole internet thing where someone can so completely miss the point, and yet still condemn the poster. Love it. Really does expose people for who they really are.

lazyboy97o

This made my day. Gotta love this whole internet thing where someone can so completely miss the point, and yet still condemn the poster. Love it. Really does expose people for who they really are.
Giving a the world’s largest entertainment conglomerate a free loan because they messed up and then taking time out of your vacation to do the follow up work to ensure the error is properly resolved is just proof that you are a responsible, gracious person who lives a magical #DisneyLife.

NickPytlinski

Lol. This made my day.

you might find that a silly disney forum has a lot more clout than you think.
lets say 300 people see his post, it could put 300 people off booking disney dining credits there. disney wouldn't like that. and they do have people that scour the forums (probably wouldn't post). 300 may be small in the grand scheme of things but its still money out of that area of epcot.

i get your having a laugh at the way the op wrote his inital post and the way it came across. Disney do take feedback seriously across all boards and levels. which is positive in my view.

Prince-1

I aim to please Dan. ;) But I really do hope that the consequences weren't that severe to all parties involved. PTD can be a horrible thing to live with but certainly warranted in this case. Dontcha think??

Last edited:

Prince-1

you might find that a silly disney forum has a lot more clout than you think.
lets say 300 people see his post, it could put 300 people off booking disney dining credits there. disney wouldn't like that. and they do have people that scour the forums (probably wouldn't post). 300 may be small in the grand scheme of things but its still money out of that area of epcot.

i get your having a laugh at the way the op wrote his inital post and the way it came across. Disney do take feedback seriously across all boards and levels. which is positive in my view.

Sorry but not one person will actually do anything based on anything posted in this thread. Not one.

No one is going to cancel their dinning reservations or decide not to buy the Disney Dining Plan or do anything else. Fake outrage is the most you will see from the OP's post.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am to please Dan. ;) But I really do hope that the consequences weren't that severe to all parties involved. PTD can be a horrible thing to live with but certainly warranted in this case. Dontcha think??
Yikes.

You "am" to please. I think you mean "aim". I also think you mean, "PTSD" which, good one? Also, punctuation, SHEESH!

Anyhoo

If you are aiming to please, big success! You most certainly have succeeded at giving me a laugh.

NickPytlinski

Sorry but not one person will actually do anything based on anything posted in this thread. Not one.

No one is going to cancel their dinning reservations or decide not to buy the Disney Dining Plan or do anything else. Fake outrage is the most you will see from the OP's post.

sorry i was talking about the specific restaurant. not the whole plan.
enough bad reviews from around the web may get the problem looked at if its reoccurring.

DisAl

The plan is not the problem, poor IT infrastructure and processes are.
We had a lunch at Hollywood and Vine, and when the CM tried to run our ticket (we were on the DP) her handheld device would not connect to their network due to poor connectivity. You would think they would at least have good coverage in restaurants where the CMs are dependent on a good data connection. She scanned my magic band again, and it went through. The problem was that some time later the first attempt which must have been in que in the device went through too. SO, we were double charged for the same meal. That was not the CMs fault and would have happened regardless of whether we were on a DP or paying by card. It was purely an IT infrastructure issue.
Another HUGE problem if we had been paying out of pocket by magic band when they consolidated charges you would no longer be able to identify the individual charges making it extremely difficult to get it corrected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom