Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Kman101

And I don't see much buzz or talk around Ferdinand (yet people are still talking about Coco). It's not real competition IMO. It probably doesn't help but I don't know that it hurts Coco that much. Star Wars, IMO, took the shine away. Not sure why they have releases so close to each other. Obviously very different films, but still ...

Next Big Thing

And I don't see much buzz or talk around Ferdinand (yet people are still talking about Coco). It's not real competition IMO. It probably doesn't help but I don't know that it hurts Coco that much. Star Wars, IMO, took the shine away. Not sure why they have releases so close to each other. Obviously very different films, but still ...
Ferdinand has taken in more money than Coco (per day) every day since it opened.

Moana had to deal with Sing last year, but the soundtrack had already won people over by then. The Coco soundtrack hasn't caught on AT ALL. Frozen didn't have any animated competition.

I slightly worry about WiR2's longevity next year as the Miles Morales animated spidey movie is coming out after it in December.

Lets Respect

Ferdinand also opened on the 15th, so Coco now has some animation competition.

That's right, Ferdinand opened on the 15th too. It's not doing that great, but it's definitely still competition in the kids animation segment, i.e. parents who desperately need something to do with their kids!

(It was cute by the way, yes, I saw it lol)

Princess Leia

Ferdinand is massively underperforming, so that didn’t hurt Coco. I agree with you that it was Star Wars.

What I don’t understand is that from late June to late October, Disney didn’t release a single film (no Disney, no Pixar, no Marvel- except for Spider-Man, technically Sony’s- , no Star Wars). Between Cars 3 and Thor: Ragnarok, there was nothing. I have no idea why they didn’t release Thor in early September (or at least a week after IT came out). They could have bumped Coco up a couple weeks to the week after Justice League came out, giving it 5 weeks before Star Wars.

Sir_Cliff

Ferdinand is massively underperforming, so that didn’t hurt Coco. I agree with you that it was Star Wars.
Ferdinand is not going to get anywhere near Coco in terms of box office, but I do wonder if it isn't hurting Coco a little right now as it is a light and completely un-confronting option for families with little kids. Perhaps this doesn't transfer, but I have been trying to convince some people to go and see Coco now that I'm back in Australia for Christmas where it just came out and they have been a bit reticent due to the connection with death.

That said, I think Coco is doing well here. The soundtrack seems to be catching on in a way it didn't in America.

Kman101

Ferdinand has taken in more money than Coco (per day) every day since it opened.

Moana had to deal with Sing last year, but the soundtrack had already won people over by then. The Coco soundtrack hasn't caught on AT ALL. Frozen didn't have any animated competition.

I slightly worry about WiR2's longevity next year as the Miles Morales animated spidey movie is coming out after it in December.

I didn't realize that about Ferdinand vs. Coco. I still don't think it's majorly hurt Coco. It's given it a little bit of competiton as it's not the only kids option out there but I don't know that it's significantly impacted it.

It's almost like Disney tries to sabotage or bury certain movies. I don't understand their mindframe for some releases. I guess they assume animated vs. live action can stand on their own separate from each other, but many people just see it all as one big Disney umbrella. They aren't giving some of their movies breathing room.

Like @Princess Leia said, they had several months with nothing released and then they seem to release one right after the other.

Having seen a bunch of ads for Ferdinand up to it's release, I totally forgot it's been released or that it even came out on the 15th, but that's me. It just hasn't generated any buzz that I've seen, but Coco is talked about.

Next Big Thing

I didn't realize that about Ferdinand vs. Coco. I still don't think it's majorly hurt Coco. It's given it a little bit of competiton as it's not the only kids option out there but I don't know that it's significantly impacted it.

It's almost like Disney tries to sabotage or bury certain movies. I don't understand their mindframe for some releases. I guess they assume animated vs. live action can stand on their own separate from each other, but many people just see it all as one big Disney umbrella. They aren't giving some of their movies breathing room.

Like @Princess Leia said, they had several months with nothing released and then they seem to release one right after the other.

Having seen a bunch of ads for Ferdinand up to it's release, I totally forgot it's been released or that it even came out on the 15th, but that's me. It just hasn't generated any buzz that I've seen, but Coco is talked about.
You haven’t heard any buzz because despite owning a decent 73% critic score on RT, the Audience score is 45%.

Princess Leia

Disney’s doing it again next year.

Black Panther comes out February 16th. 3 weeks later- A Wrinkle in Time.
Nothing in April, but come May 4th, it’s time for Infinity War... and three weeks after that? Solo (I can’t believe that’s on schedule), which is probably going to be crushed at the box office one week later by Deadpool 2 (not Disney, but Fox’s- for now). Incredibles 2 comes out June 15 (only three weeks after Solo), a movie called ‘Paved New World’ is out June 21, Ant-Man & the Wasp comes out July 6, and Christopher Robin is on schedule for August 3.

Nothing in September or October, but Nutcracker comes out November 2nd, and Ralph 2 on the 21st. Then Disney waits for a month until Christmas to release Mary Poppins.

And it wasn’t until now that I realized that next year’s film schedule is nuts. 11 movies released in a total of 8 months.

Solo could easily be moved to August, and probably have great box office returns. That’s kind of what made Guardians a hit- August is a notoriously slow month for movie releases. Ditto for February, though it looked like Disney picked up on what made Deadpool a hit and wisely put Black Panther in that slot.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Disney’s doing it again next year.

Black Panther comes out February 16th. 3 weeks later- A Wrinkle in Time.
Nothing in April, but come May 4th, it’s time for Infinity War... and three weeks after that? Solo (I can’t believe that’s on schedule), which is probably going to be crushed at the box office one week later by Deadpool 2 (not Disney, but Fox’s- for now). Incredibles 2 comes out June 15 (only three weeks after Solo), a movie called ‘Paved New World’ is out June 21, Ant-Man & the Wasp comes out July 6, and Christopher Robin is on schedule for August 3.

Nothing in September or October, but Nutcracker comes out November 2nd, and Ralph 2 on the 21st. Then Disney waits for a month until Christmas to release Mary Poppins.

And it wasn’t until now that I realized that next year’s film schedule is nuts. 11 movies released in a total of 8 months.
Movies typically have front-loaded box offices, so three weeks between releases as you state multiple times really is no big deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom