Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Sped2424

The preview looked terrible. Who wants to watch this let alone ride it??? Booooo
Highly disagree. This is a love letter to dia de los muertos/Mexico from the vibrant marigolds to the setting and Guadalajara inspired land of the dead. Plus the Pedro Infante inspired character makes this film really click with its point of origin, in short I wouldn't write this film off. It's shaping up to be phenomenal and with Adrian Molina and Lee Unkrich directing this is shaping up to be one of Pixars best. Also I would love to ride it as again as IP's go imo Coco deserves this attraction over the Caballeros.

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

Highly disagree. This is a love letter to dia de los muertos/Mexico from the vibrant marigolds to the setting and Guadalajara inspired land of the dead. Plus the Pedro Infante looking character, point is I wouldn't write this film off. It's shaping up to be phenomenal and with Adrian Molina and Lee Unkrich directing this is shaping up to be one of Pixars best. Also I would love to ride it as again as IP's go imo Coco deserves this attraction over the Caballeros.
Hmm you seem much more optimistic than I do. Saw Beauty and the Beast with a large group of people and not one of us seemed interested in Coco. To each their own I guess! Disappointed in Pixar. Will put my money where my mouth is haha!

Kman101

Hmm you seem much more optimistic than I do. Saw Beauty and the Beast with a large group of people and not one of us seemed interested in Coco. To each their own I guess! Disappointed in Pixar. Will put my money where my mouth is haha!

I'm 50/50 on the movie. I need to see a little bit more. Disney sucks to me at properly advertising their movies (which doesn't matter I guess because people go and see them regardless). Did you watch the short with the dog going after the bone? It was well done (and probably won't be in the movie). I have some hope but I kind of wonder if this ends up being received more along the lines of Good Dinosaur. Not trying to totally discount it as I think it would fit the ride so much better (I don't hate the Cabs but it of course could have been done better). Guess we shall see where it lands.

Sped2424

I'm 50/50 on the movie. I need to see a little bit more. Disney sucks to me at properly advertising their movies (which doesn't matter I guess because people go and see them regardless). Did you watch the short with the dog going after the bone? It was well done (and probably won't be in the movie). I have some hope but I kind of wonder if this ends up being received more along the lines of Good Dinosaur. Not trying to totally discount it as I think it would fit the ride so much better (I don't hate the Cabs but it of course could have been done better). Guess we shall see where it lands.
Remember the good dinosaurs outcome was largely due to its horrifically shakey production cycle. The film had initially an entirely different cast and vastly different story before being completely re written and then delayed. (seriously I would love to see a book on the pre production of this film and the mess that came from it). Coco has had none of those issues!

Last edited:

HMF

Remember the good dinosaurs outcome was largely due to its horrifically shakey production cycle. The film had initially an entirely different cast and vastly different story before being completely re written (seriously I would love to see a book on the pre production of this film and the mess that came from it). Coco has had none of those issues!
Good Dinosaur was also released barely a month before "The Force Awakens". It's obvious where all the marketing muscle went.

Kman101

Remember the good dinosaurs outcome was largely due to its horrifically shakey production cycle. The film had initially an entirely different cast and vastly different story before being completely re written (seriously I would love to see a book on the pre production of this film and the mess that came from it). Coco has had none of those issues!

That's true. It was pretty much doomed from the get-go, unfortunately. It was beautiful looking. I liked Good Dinosaur but for most of the film It was a lot of them yelling and getting lost and sort of repeating the same situation over again LOL. It was a miss.

prfctlyximprct

I don't remember seeing the dog with the bone. Just the boy grabbing the guitar. I mean I am a "twenty something" so maybe this isn't meant to appeal to me? But I was honestly like " what the h e double hockey stick is this?!?!?" Okay, maybe that's not showing my maturity. :p

But I was with a whole group of "Disney movie lovers" and everyone agreed that it'd be a Pixar movie we'd be skipping. Reminds me of this creepy preview of the day of the dead movie I will have to look up LOL... or even Frankenweenie.

doctornick

I'm perfectly fine with Grand Fiesta Tour and look forward to seeing the AAs when I go soon. But Coco does seem like it will be a better fit for showing off the culture of Mexico so I don't mind the idea of making the change (and it frees up José Carioca to be used in the Brazil pavilion if need be). Still, it bugs me that Disney spends money making unnecessary changes to rides (or replacing rides) when the parks need increased capacity and can use that money for additions.

I never really got the idea of the Mexican Donald M&G though. If that would be replaced by Miguel (or even with Panchito), it would make sense. Put Donald in the character spot.

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
I don't remember seeing the dog with the bone. Just the boy grabbing the guitar. I mean I am a "twenty something" so maybe this isn't meant to appeal to me? But I was honestly like " what the h e double hockey stick is this?!?!?" Okay, maybe that's not showing my maturity. :p

But I was with a whole group of "Disney movie lovers" and everyone agreed that it'd be a Pixar movie we'd be skipping. Reminds me of this creepy preview of the day of the dead movie I will have to look up LOL... or even Frankenweenie.
It's silly to judge if you are going to see a movie solely by a trailer. Wait until the reviews come out before you chose not to go. Everyone's obviously going to have a different view if they like it or not, but it may surprise you.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
With the crowd size that Frozen brought in, I wonder how this overlay will change the queue and current structure of the building and ride itself? Will there be additions to the current building and ride? I remember reading somewhere once that this pavilion's ride wasn't planned to be opened at the same time as the rest of the pavilion originally. But because of other pavilions rides getting nixed, this was pulled together fast for the opening of the pavilion... Wonder if they'll go back to those plans for any additions for this?

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
With the crowd size that Frozen brought in, I wonder how this overlay will change the queue and current structure of the building and ride itself? Will there be additions to the current building and ride? I remember reading somewhere once that this pavilion's ride wasn't planned to be opened at the same time as the rest of the pavilion originally. But because of other pavilions rides getting nixed, this was pulled together fast for the opening of the pavilion... Wonder if they'll go back to those plans for any additions for this?
@marni1971 has said that they could potentially use the original plans.

prfctlyximprct

It's silly to judge if you are going to see a movie solely by a trailer. Wait until the reviews come out before you chose not to go. Everyone's obviously going to have a different view if they like it or not, but it may surprise you.
Usually the trailer shows the best parts, and it didn't appeal to me at all. Who knows! Maybe it'll be a great film, but one not for me.

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
Usually the trailer shows the best parts, and it didn't appeal to me at all. Who knows! Maybe it'll be a great film, but one not for me.
Depends.

I can go on a rant about this, but I don't have the time currently:p.
To put it simple though I'll use two examples (and trust me I'm not cherrypicking).
The Secret Life of Pets for instance, used an epic strategic way of almost using the film as a trailer for the trailer. Another also recent example of this is Suicide Squad, where film has scenes specifically made for the trailer. Hell, even The Force Awakens used a scene that was cut in the trailer.

To put it short and sweet, a trailer doesn't have to show the best elements, otherwise you could have Suicide Squad. But it does have to construct a narrative for the viewers and that particular audience.
I really am excited for Pirates of the Caribbean 5 as I was into it beforehand, but the trailer further hyped me. Good musical score (which is good since the franchise is known for that), seems to be in similar style to the 1st, and the cinematography is great, but until I see it (or to a lesser extent reviews & CinemaScore come out) I won't know for sure and will not not be willing to see it.
Even Frozen under marketed the film in order to get a stronger word of mouth and thus gaining longer legs throughout the leggy holiday season. You can present a film that looks decent and actually make it make more. La La Land did this too (although it didn't really undermarket it).
And of course CinemaScore measures the audience that sees its score.

Any questions?:D

prfctlyximprct

Depends.

I can go on a rant about this, but I don't have the time currently:p.
To put it simple though I'll use two examples (and trust me I'm not cherrypicking).
The Secret Life of Pets for instance, used an epic strategic way of almost using the film as a trailer for the trailer. Another also recent example of this is Suicide Squad, where film has scenes specifically made for the trailer. Hell, even The Force Awakens used a scene that was cut in the trailer.

To put it short and sweet, a trailer doesn't have to show the best elements, otherwise you could have Suicide Squad. But it does have to construct a narrative for the viewers and that particular audience.
I really am excited for Pirates of the Caribbean 5 as I was into it beforehand, but the trailer further hyped me. Good musical score (which is good since the franchise is known for that), seems to be in similar style to the 1st, and the cinematography is great, but until I see it (or to a lesser extent reviews & CinemaScore come out) I won't know for sure and will not not be willing to see it.
Even Frozen under marketed the film in order to get a stronger word of mouth and thus gaining longer legs throughout the leggy holiday season. You can present a film that looks decent and actually make it make more. La La Land did this too (although it didn't really undermarket it).
And of course CinemaScore measures the audience that sees its score.

Any questions?:D

Saw neither of them so I can't comment. And no questions. Just stating I will not be wasting my time based on the trailer. Not my cup of tea. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom