Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

ninjaprincesst

Do you ban your kids from watching the Star Wars films, they promote and feature 'the force' which didn't feature in the bible last time I looked? What about Avatar, they clearly don't follow Christianity in that? Do you tell them about Santa Clause, again a non Christian character?
I think you all are not getting what I said, I see nothing wrong with the holiday, my problem is it makes it seem like heaven does not exist, just this place where skeletons run around, and i never said i hated it, I just said I had an issue with that concept, it was an ok movie , but not great, not going to be a Disney classic . My point mainly is people are acting like it's a monster hit like frozen and it's just not, I spent 9 days at Disney World and watched all the Coco merchandise go pretty much untouched, just no intrest at all. And the movie itself is okay, just not great, and I think considering most Latino people are deeply religious it could have been done better and come up with a better concept than a weird skeleton world, they could have much better honored the actual Dia de Las Muertos holiday, and I never said I thought it should be banned or anything I just think it could have been done better and more accurate, and all of you saying it's a different religion, it's not this is a holiday that is observed by Christian people, a beautiful holiday that deserved to have an accurate representation.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
I certainly know that isn't your intent.
Actually it was my intent haha. So no offense taken.

I'm a hobbyist of armchair imagineering, but many of the ideas are just what I want to see. So I thought that would be an interesting experiment to try something different.

The Coco attraction is 1 of 50 ideas I'm working on for the 50th based on predictions for both rumored/confirmed projects, as well as some of my own, but all keeping a strong focus on realism. I said it longer in opening posts to the project thread but basically that's the goal https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/50-for-the-50th-the-future-of-walt-disney-world.936294/

That way in a few years I can compare them to see how close it was. Thank you for the feedback though - I appreciate it! :)

DisneyDodo

I think you all are not getting what I said, I see nothing wrong with the holiday, my problem is it makes it seem like heaven does not exist, just this place where skeletons run around, and i never said i hated it, I just said I had an issue with that concept, it was an ok movie , but not great, not going to be a Disney classic . My point mainly is people are acting like it's a monster hit like frozen and it's just not, I spent 9 days at Disney World and watched all the Coco merchandise go pretty much untouched, just no intrest at all. And the movie itself is okay, just not great, and I think considering most Latino people are deeply religious it could have been done better and come up with a better concept than a weird skeleton world, they could have much better honored the actual Dia de Las Muertos holiday, and I never said I thought it should be banned or anything I just think it could have been done better and more accurate, and all of you saying it's a different religion, it's not this is a holiday that is observed by Christian people, a beautiful holiday that deserved to have an accurate representation.
Coco doesn’t claim to represent an accurate portrayal of the afterlife any more than Finding Nemo is supposed to accurately portray life underwater or Inside Out is supposed to accurately portray the inside of a human mind. I would imagine that any child old enough to be asking questions about life after death has already surpassed the age where they’ve figured out that Pixar films aren’t real.

If you believe that Coco undermines the idea that heaven exists, then you misunderstood it. The majority of the movie takes place in the Land of the Dead, another way of saying “heaven.” If you’re simply concerned with the way that the afterlife is being depicted, then you are misunderstanding the fiction genre.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

It's a freaking animated movie, not a documentary. And no one said the Day of the Dead is a different religion. Just giving the history of the celebration - one that was observed by the ancient Aztec ancestors of current Mexicans. Which occurs in many countires/religions/cultures.

And Coco's only been in the theatres since November 22. Frozen didn't earn that $1B opening weekend.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

While I agree that coco isn't anything like frozen from a park/marketing/merchandising angle - and its ridiculous to suggest that - I'm not sure that the fact it doesn't measure up has anything to do with the portrayal or lack there of pertaining to mythology and fables...

I think it's more demographics and the market disney cultivates...which is 100% what they want.

Next Big Thing

I've got good news to share, as of 12/12/17 Coco has crossed the 400M WW, I'm sure that that's more than many expected, and with it still missing some of its more important markets as well as still being strong in China, I'm sure we can expect a lot more! I hope that this gets greenlit soon!
Considering it's still behind the likes of Tangled and Moana which are it's closest comparisons, no, it's not unexpected.

Sir_Cliff

Considering it's still behind the likes of Tangled and Moana which are it's closest comparisons, no, it's not unexpected.
It certainly beat the early expectations for its US box office. Also think back to the conversation here a few weeks ago about how little interest there was in the film. Internationally, I'd say Disney would be very pleased. Particularly in the case of China where they have struggled to have big hits, and this film seems to have really connected on an emotional level with audiences there in the way that classic Disney films have done for many decades in other parts of the world.

That, of course, doesn't make it a monster hit (just a hit, so far) in the United States. It may not also have much impact on whether a Coco overlay appears at the Mexico pavilion. Of all the IP overlays, though, this one makes the most sense by a mile, particularly considering the current ride is already IP-driven and that IP is The Three Caballeros which I can't believe is a hotter property than Coco.

DisneyFan18

Actually Tangled is behind Coco at this point of release by 21M approximately, while Coco is just 9M behind Moana. And as @Sir_Cliff mentioned it has beaten both in the Chinese market, and is expected to end around 150M-160M in there

spacemt354

Chili's
Actually Tangled is behind Coco at this point of release by 21M approximately, while Coco is just 9M behind Moana. And as @Sir_Cliff mentioned it has beaten both in the Chinese market, and is expected to end around 150M-160M in there
And also Moana was marketed heavily on The Rock and Lin-Manuel Miranda, so a film with none of those popular people to market and modest expectations coming that close to Moana says a lot.

Next Big Thing

I'm not being negative towards Coco, i'm just saying I don't think anyone at Pixar was hoping for only a $400M run, which you were insinuating was more than expected. Coco should push close to $650 WW by the end of it's run.

And yes, Coco is a much better fit for the ride than The Three Caballeros.

DisneyFan18

I'm not being negative towards Coco, i'm just saying I don't think anyone at Pixar was hoping for only a $400M run, which you were insinuating was more than expected. Coco should push close to $650 WW by the end of it's run.

And yes, Coco is a much better fit for the ride than The Three Caballeros.
I do agree on that 400M isn’t their goal, I’m just saying that it was a milestone on its run as it is still missing some of the most important international markets and it has already grossed a lot more than the Good Dinosaur did in its whole run as well as some other Pixar movies. I also agree that it might end grossing around 650M-700M WW

epcotWSC

With Star Wars out this week, I honestly don't see this movie doing all that much better than where it is. There is enough of a demographic overlap and Star Wars mania is enough to make everything else in theaters be almost an afterthought.

Lets Respect

Coco is still tracking about 7% right below Moana (domestic). Which is actually up a bit from the beginning where it was tracking 8% below.

It will be interesting to see where that line goes after Star Wars opens this weekend...if it still tracks right below Moana for the rest of its run or if it drops

BrianLo

Coco is also tracking ~175million ahead of Moana on the back of China and Mexico. With similar performances in most other international locations.

All it really is gonna take is ok performances in additional international territories to surpass Moana World Wide. If there is another break out territory (South America perhaps), it will do much more than people think.

That said, we need to see how it holds against Star Wars and Ferdinand and how the major internationals coming up fair to have a clue where this lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom