Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Cmdr_Crimson

Having finally seen the movie........While it is a good movie...I don't think it would work as ride.....This movie is in the level of Up, Wall-E & Good Dinosaur in not every Pixar film needs one...Besides, how are we "Going" To the here-after and make it feaseable to be respectful to the idea as a ride.....IMO I like Gran Fiesta...Keep it..

spacemt354

Chili's
Lee Unkrich, the director of Coco, was raised Jewish. Embracing different cultures isn't the same thing as being forced to believe in it. As a Catholic myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

Also enjoy the potential for it in the Mexico Pavilion! - I did a rough outline of what I'd like to see if anyone is interested:)

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...-walt-disney-world.936294/page-4#post-7990761
coco.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Harry Potter is also considered anti-Christian because of the magic that makes up such a large part of the story. YET ONE OF THE FILMS FEATURES CHRISTMAS. Seriously, people read way too much into movies these days. Kids don't do that - they will take away the basic moral, but they aren't making religious assumptions based on a film. Their brains aren't developed enough to do that. Keeping your child from enjoying a film basically made for them based on your religious beliefs is kind of ridiculous.

And Harry Potter teaches two very important lessons - the importance of friendship and that good will win over evil, eventually.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It is not really it's just a hit right now until The last Jedi comes out, then it will go away, and it was not very good, the best part of the whole movie was the Frozen Short, which is gone now, it's really predicatable and they drag it out waay too long, and i'ts anti Christian, I don't want my child thinking dead people go to this other world and wander around as skeletons, this movie indicates there is no heaven.

:banghead: :facepalm:

Aveku

And, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Mexico a predominately Catholic country? Seems like the country of origin for this tradition has no problem reconciling this tradition with their religious views.

Yup. Mexico is mostly a Catholic country. The ofrenda is not an altar to worship our family members who have passed away, it’s simpy our way to remember them and to honor their memory.

It’s quite rare to find a Mexican family who doesn’t celebrate this holiday because of religious reasons.

The land of the dead and living as skeletons in the after life is not part of the tradition. It’s simply Disney’s way to build the story, and we loved it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Most cultures have ceremonies remembering loved ones who've moved on. Dia de los Muertos is one of the more well-known ones. And what a wonderful tradition it is.

I thought it was a beautiful, funny, tear provoking movie. And one of Pixar's best. As Miguel and several other family members said, on more than one occasion, family is the most important thing.

I was jealous that my son in law and his parents, being Puerto Rican, understood the Spanish and thus laugh/cry over what was said.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Catholicism, when it's moving into Pagan territory is rather big-tent about Pagan practices. The attitude is "You can keep the festival, just let us Christianize the narrative by removing the pagan gods."

So, you celebrate the solstice as the return of the sun-god? Fine, we'll move Jesus' birthday to that time and we'll celebrate the birth of Christ, Light of the World. Merry Christmas.

You celebrate the coming of the fall harvest and the death of plants in the coming winter as a time when the barrier between the living and dead worlds is at its weakest with spooky stuff? Fine, we'll move a feast remembering All Saints (i.e., All Hallows in old English) in heaven and All Souls (in Purgatory) on those days, now go have fun on All Hallows Eve.

El Día de los Muertos is to a Catholic in Mexico what Halloween is to a Catholic in North America. It's not explicitly worship of a pagan god, so, it's kosher. Not saying that either celebration, when examined more closely, would pass an orthodoxy test; but that, it's tolerated as a cultural tradition.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Catholicism, when it's moving into Pagan territory is rather big-tent about Pagan practices. The attitude is "You can keep the festival, just let us Christianize the narrative by removing the pagan gods."

So, you celebrate the solstice as the return of the sun-god? Fine, we'll move Jesus' birthday to that time and we'll celebrate the birth of Christ, Light of the World. Merry Christmas.

You celebrate the coming of the fall harvest and the death of plants in the coming winter as a time when the barrier between the living and dead worlds is at its weakest with spooky stuff? Fine, we'll move a feast remembering All Saints (i.e., All Hallows in old English) in heaven and All Souls (in Purgatory) on those days, now go have fun on All Hallows Eve.

El Día de los Muertos is to a Catholic in Mexico what Halloween is to a Catholic in North America. It's not explicitly worship of a pagan god, so, it's kosher. Not saying that either celebration, when examined more closely, would pass an orthodoxy test; but that, it's tolerated as a cultural tradition.

Early Christianity, as it moved from being a sect of Judaism and morphed into the Catholic Church, incorporated a lot of pagan holidays/celebrations. Something Rome did when conquering other civilizations. You'd be surprised to learn how much the hierarchical structure of the Church, and the Mass too, is based on the known hierarchy of the time...the Roman army.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Didn't catch Wonder Woman, huh?

Wonder Woman best movie of the year? Hardly. Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, Get Out, The Big Sick, Lady Bird, Stronger, Detroit, Victoria and Abdul. Those will most likely make the list..... And my money's on Darkest Hour, given Gary Oldman's performance as Winston Churchill.

Coco will win Best Animated picture to add to those other Oscars Pixar has....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wonder Woman best movie of the year? Hardly. Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, Get Out, The Big Sick, Lady Bird, Stronger, Detroit, Victoria and Abdul. Those will most likely make the list..... And my money's on Darkest Hour, given Gary Oldman's performance as Winston Churchill.

Coco will win Best Animated picture to add to those other Oscars Pixar has....

Lol...I wasn't claiming Wonder Woman was the best movie of the year...not even close. Just providing reasonable alternatives to the classic disney fanboard misconception on the quality of disney movies...

...I'm gonna say it and say that includes the spectacle this week. All the "critics" loved it...but I think that's a selected/packed room...disney style.

They all loved force awakens...I went back and read the early reviews and it didn't match the movie. Straight, dull reboot. Sorry to say.

Epcot82Guy

Lee Unkrich, the director of Coco, was raised Jewish. Embracing different cultures isn't the same thing as being forced to believe in it. As a Catholic myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

Also enjoy the potential for it in the Mexico Pavilion! - I did a rough outline of what I'd like to see if anyone is interested:)

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...-walt-disney-world.936294/page-4#post-7990761
coco.jpg

Let me preface this by saying I think you're taking a wonderfully creative approach and done a great job here! This comment is directed at Disney Imagineering and Accountaneering.

With that, this type of ride is EXACTLY what I fear and would be sorely disappointed in. (Also afraid it's what we will see.) The ride shouldn't be about Coco and it's story. It should be about Mexico or the Mexican festival. Much like FEA, a ride of the nature you've shown is about the character vs. location. So, it really changes what Epcot is about and sort of feels disrespectful to the country involved. It says our movie is more entertaining (or at least easier to get people in the doors for $$$$) than anything we could come up with about your actual culture.

I certainly know that isn't your intent. But, it goes to show why doing a ride that is the physical equivalent of a Coco short or Coco book report is the easy, disappointing route. And, considering how many of the shorts during the films have been seen as a bit "groan worthy" in reviews, it seems very odd to me that Disney is basically creating these rides like they are animated shorts - and they feel a bit empty accordingly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With that, this type of ride is EXACTLY what I fear and would be sorely disappointed in. (Also afraid it's what we will see.) The ride shouldn't be about Coco and it's story. It should be about Mexico or the Mexican festival. Much like FEA, a ride of the nature you've shown is about the character vs. location. So, it really changes what Epcot is about and sort of feels disrespectful to the country involved. It says our movie is more entertaining (or at least easier to get people in the doors for $$$$) than anything we could come up with about your actual culture.

Too late for that when Rio del Tiempo became Gran Fiesta and with the current regime of "more uniquely Disney." It will be Coco oriented.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Lol...I wasn't claiming Wonder Woman was the best movie of the year...not even close. Just providing reasonable alternatives to the classic disney fanboard misconception on the quality of disney movies...

...I'm gonna say it and say that includes the spectacle this week. All the "critics" loved it...but I think that's a selected/packed room...disney style.

They all loved force awakens...I went back and read the early reviews and it didn't match the movie. Straight, dull reboot. Sorry to say.

Oh, ok, I got it.

I may read reviews, but rarely give them much credence. Coco is one of Pixar's best, in my opinion.

I'm in complete agreement about The Force Awakens. A remake of A New Hope. While I was excited to see it, that was disappointing. I hope The Last Jedi isn't a remake of The Empire Strikes Back. If it is, Disney will just have done to that $4.1B IP they bought what George did with the prequels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom