Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

DisneyFan18

I'd venture to say that most of the Coco ride will be dancing skeletons. How could they not?
If it is indeed an adaptation of the movie instead of an original story, I can think of at least 3 scenes that could use dancing skeletons in some ways. After seeing the movie, I’m more than convinced that it deserves a ride in the Mexican Pavilion more than any other IP, either screens and AAs can work pretty well with it.

@marni1971, I read at Inside Universal that the Coco attraction had a 75 million budget, is it true?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If it is indeed an adaptation of the movie instead of an original story, I can think of at least 3 scenes that could use dancing skeletons in some ways. After seeing the movie, I’m more than convinced that it deserves a ride in the Mexican Pavilion more than any other IP, either screens and AAs can work pretty well with it.

@marni1971, I read at Inside Universal that the Coco attraction had a 75 million budget, is it true?
That's a figure I've heard.

Rider

I'd venture to say that most of the Coco ride will be dancing skeletons. How could they not?
I think he is saying that it would be a difficult engineering problem. Most of the motors, wires, etc. are hidden underneath the "flesh" of the animatronics. Being able to hide all that within the "bones" of a skeleton would take a lot of effort. You would either need to have everything miniaturized, make the "bones" unrealistically large, or have a clever way to hide everything (costumes which defeat the point, hidden behind scenery, etc.)

Or just end up with something cheap like Lumière in Enchanted Tales which has obvious supports to his "arms".

Pixieish

I think he is saying that it would be a difficult engineering problem. Most of the motors, wires, etc. are hidden underneath the "flesh" of the animatronics. Being able to hide all that within the "bones" of a skeleton would take a lot of effort. You would either need to have everything miniaturized, make the "bones" unrealistically large, or have a clever way to hide everything (costumes which defeat the point, hidden behind scenery, etc.)

Matte black paint, black backgrounds, and trick lighting. Puppeteers use that kind of thing all the time. Granted, some of the parts may need to be manufactured out of black materials, but that should be relatively easy.

Rider

Added a bit to my original post about that which is already used in the parks. But it's very obvious to see when done that way.

But that wasn't my point. True skeleton electronics would be an impressive engineering accomplishment. "Tricks" are not.

DisneyFan18

Added a bit to my original post about that which is already used in the parks. But it's very obvious to see when done that way.

But that wasn't my point. True skeleton electronics would be an impressive engineering accomplishment. "Tricks" are not.
Well, most of the skeletons have clothings, for example Mamma Imelda is wearing a dress, and Ernesto has some sort of Mariachi Suit with the only uncovered being the abdomen area. The difficult one would be Héctor, as his clothes are in a poor condition, so if skeletons AAs are used most of it could be hidden underneath the clothes...

Pixieish

Agreed! I'm a signmaker (metal, plastic, wood, carved, hand-painted, gold-leafed, etc. etc.), so finding new ways of doing things gives me a natural high...I can only imagine it's the same for imagineers. :)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
75 mil? That's some serious coin to drop on an overlay. I'd be willing to do it for half that! ;)
On an unrelated topic; how much does the average projector cost?

Wouldn't this overlay realistically need just some fresh paint, new screens and 2-3 AAs?
How does that balloon to 75 mil? Genuine question. Not that I mind because with that much they should be able to create a real change. Hmm. Unless I'm mistaken I thought Martin mentioned that this would be a rather small overlay; nothing grande.

A simplistic overlay with continued use of screens.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Or just end up with something cheap like Lumière in Enchanted Tales which has obvious supports to his "arms".

Unlike Enchanted Tales, the Coco ride would have a lot lower lighting making spotting the supports much more difficult. And I wouldn't be surprised if they went all Black Light.

They always have the option to make it as horrendous as the Little Mermaid ride where there's schools of unarticulated fishes on stickses.

DisneyFan18

Unlike Enchanted Tales, the Coco ride would have a lot lower lighting making spotting the supports much more difficult. And I wouldn't be surprised if they went all Black Light.

They always have the option to make it as horrendous as the Little Mermaid ride where there's schools of unarticulated fishes on stickses.
I feel like Black Light could work as the Land of Dead is colorful and vibrant, and also set in some sort of night time, so personally I believe it could work fine with the attraction!

clemmo

75 million seems like a small budget compared to some recent projects. Considering how disney projects seem to be way overpriced what would 75 mil get us? What was frozen's budget?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom