Verizon Fios is offering free McAfee on the router....hmmm

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I have received a blast e-mail from my internet provider: Verizon Fios that my router now has McAfee. All I have to do is download Verizon's app and follow the 3 step directions.
Yet, I already have a different anti virus program on my lap top.
I've never heard of anti virus on a ROUTER o_O
What is Fios up to? Something good? Something to ignore?
Please give feedback or advice re. McAfee on a Verizon Fios router. What would you do with this new offer? Implement it or ignore it?
Thanks!
Steve

donsullivan

Premium Member
Totally your choice, but I would not do it. Verizon has a reputation for using things like this to intercept traffic and redirect it for their financial benefit. They have a long history of doing nefarious stuff like this that looks innocuous and then you find out years later they were using it to track what you're doing and inject ads onto web pages that they make money from

I personally would never install anything like that provided by my ISP; they are only doing it for their own monetary gain.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Totally your choice, but I would not do it. Verizon has a reputation for using things like this to intercept traffic and redirect it for their financial benefit. They have a long history of doing nefarious stuff like this that looks innocuous and then you find out years later they were using it to track what you're doing and inject ads onto web pages that they make money from

I personally would never install anything like that provided by my ISP; they are only doing it for their own monetary gain.
Well that makes sense. I am glad you posted.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
You did 3 posts in a row in the span of less than an hour, you didn't really give people that much time to reply and not everyone is going to reply, lol.
My OP was Friday. 48 hours later I posted that many had viewed but none had answered. Sunday night I posted that.

lazyboy97o

McAfee does have their Secure Home Platform, but I think it has to come preinstalled on the router and is not yet available as an add-on. It’s basically a firewall that references a global list of suspicious sites and monitors for suspicious activity (so not really traditional anti-virus software), not just on your computer but any devices that may be connected to the internet but don’t include a browser.

Not trusting Verizon sounds like a safer bet, especially for something they traditionally sell (Verizon Internet Security Suite) and does not seem available otherwise.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I definitely would not trust Verizon. I also wouldn't trust McAfee (or most antivirus programs for that matter, there are a few good ones but most just mess up your system...). Honestly a separate antivirus program (besides what your OS has by default) in 2018 isn't really necessary - it often causes more harm than good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom