Vastly Expanded Fantasyland??

fngoofy

Original Poster
Just a thought on the much needed fantasyland work.

I was looking at the concept art and the new photos of construction, and I don't really think "expansion" is the right term for the project.

The Little Mermaid is replacing 20,000 Leagues.
Dumbo is moving
We get a couple of new meet-n-greets, and a restaurant.

I agree this was needed, I think it will look great, and I am all for them doing it. I just don't see this as an expansion, as they are staying within the park boundaries set back in 1971.

In fact, we are losing as much as we gain. The new meet-n-greets are killing the old ones (little mermaid and Mickey & Minnie over in Toontown-fair-country thingy.) The only real addition is the BntB sit-down restaurant.

As I said, they needed to do something, this just seems like maintenance construction as opposed to park expansion.

Justsayingsall,
Thoughts?

Biff215

I see what you're saying, but keep in mind we've been without the subs for a long time now and they never had the capacity that Mermaid will. And since the lagoon took up so much space, the park is gaining a tremendous amount of square footage in this expansion that it really never had.

Anyone with inside knowledge seem to agree that this was more about adding space and capacity to FL, not necessarily full blown attractions other than LM. The aerial pictures do a great job of showing just how small FL currently is, and how huge it will eventually be.

nolatron

It's an expansion off Fantasyland, not the Magic Kingdom.

Even though it's reusing space already inside the defined limits of the park, it's gonna open up Fantasyland's guest capacity and give guests a little breathing room.

bigfoli54

Webster's dictionary defines "expand" as: to make larger; to cause to increase; to enlarge on more fully. SO, yes, expansion would be the right term for the new construction taking place in FL. Look at the aerial pics and see the new zones/phases that are being installed and it is really a decent sized area. I agree that there ocule be some more "meaningful" things being put in, its still nice to see that somethings are changing and FL will have an entirely new and exciting look. Even though it still has nothing ocmpared to DLR.

wdwmemories

I understand the point about trading one for another (20,000 Leagues for Mermaid), but overall it seems like there will more things to do and new things to do when the 'expansion' is complete.

I am looking forward to it!

fngoofy

Original Poster
I understand the point about trading one for another (20,000 Leagues for Mermaid), but overall it seems like there will more things to do and new things to do when the 'expansion' is complete.

I am looking forward to it!

I agree the LM will have more capacity than 20k did. But while we gain 3 MnG's (Cindy, Belle, Snow) we lose 3 MnG's (Ltl M, Mickey, Minnie).

I was going to say we may have more visual sq/ft, but LM will take up the same space as 20k, with the queue in the lagoon area and the show building taking the place of the 20k building.

I like that Dumbo will be double the capacity and that it will be enclosed, but I wonder how fun it will be without the sites of Fantasyland whirling by...

Like I said earlier, there needed to be an update to Fantasyland, I like what they are doing, but I think it is perceived as an expansion because they waited 12+ years after taking out 20k.

I guarantee if the press release had read:
"We are closing 20k next month and will be replacing it with Little Mermaid in two years. Also we are taking out toon town fair and moving dumbo back there to get room for a restaurant and some meet n greets." People would be saying they are rearranging deck chairs, why not leave 20 k AND add the LIttle Mermaid next to it. While you're at it, make toon town more like DLs and move Dumbo back next to it.

Instead, with the passage of time, we are happy to have an "expansion" that will give us greater capacity, rather than a diversity of experiences as well as capacity.

Not to harp, but physically, it is not an expansion if you are reusing the same land as before. LM is going right where 20k was, and the only thing expanding on to new ground is the BnB restaurant.

Justsaysall,
;)

jt04

It's an observation without a point IMO. The same thing could be said about TWWoHP then.....

'The ride was added but the Dueling Dragons queue was lost so it is a wash'. It makes about that much sense.

And the loss of 20K is a positive one as long as we eventually get a 20K treatment somewhere else on property.

misterID

Just from the standpoint of how it will open up FL I'd have to call it an expansion... But it is an expansion. But I totally understand if you want to call it just a big refurb. :D

Biff215

I was going to say we may have more visual sq/ft, but LM will take up the same space as 20k, with the queue in the lagoon area and the show building taking the place of the 20k building.

I'm pretty sure the former lagoon will be more than just the queue for LM. The M&G's technically will also not be lost since they will simply be relocated elsewhere in the park.

stlbobby

From my understanding the usable area is expanding out past the RR, I'm not 100% on that, but I'm sure someone will clarify.

The M&G will be expanded as Ariel is supposed to return and join her fellow princesses, while Mickey and Minnie will relocate to another area of the park. I have heard Main Street, but again I'm not sure.

The new Mermaid Ride can't rightly be considered a replacement for 20K. It is supposed to be an true E or D-ticket ride, and 20k has bee gone for over a decade.

Dumbo is doubling its size and capacity, and the entire area is supposed to be more open and spacious.

I am reserving final judgement until it actually opens, but if it follows the plan laid out it will provide many new experiences and a better feel to the MK.

Chezman1399

Like one of the other poster's said, WWofHP would be in the same boat.

FantasyLand is approx. 5 new attractions plus 2 refurbed/relocated ones and 2 new restaurants(1 sit down/1 quick service), and a whole lot of land that guests could never walk on before.

MKCP 1985

its no Carsland, but it is definitely an expansion of Fantasyland, at the expense of Mickey's Birthdayland Toontown Fair with Fairies, a trade I can live with. :lookaroun

misterID

Like one of the other poster's said, WWofHP would be in the same boat.

FantasyLand is approx. 5 new attractions plus 2 refurbed/relocated ones and 2 new restaurants(1 sit down/1 quick service), and a whole lot of land that guests could never walk on before.

5 new attractions? Where?

Biff215

From my understanding the usable area is expanding out past the RR, I'm not 100% on that, but I'm sure someone will clarify.

None of FL will extend outside of the current RR tracks. There is actually a decent chunk of land that will be left behind FL, but it's a ways back there and approaches the road that leads to the utilidors.

The Empress Lilly

The footprint of the FLE is the footprint of the extinct 20K. Plus the changes over at toontown.
The build-up area of the MK will not increase, but will merely be re-used again.

Compared to two decades ago, this time however you can walk through the elaborate landscaping, and a restaurant is added.

I'm looking forward to the FLE, and it solves some real issues, but I'm not getting too carried away. It is not a massive expansion, it is a re-utilisation of a previously used area. Returning us an underwater ride, albeit this time not underwater.

The Empress Lilly

I guarantee if the press release had read:
"We are closing 20k next month and will be replacing it with Little Mermaid in two years. Also we are taking out toon town fair and moving dumbo back there to get room for a restaurant and some meet n greets." People would be saying they are rearranging deck chairs, why not leave 20 k AND add the LIttle Mermaid next to it. While you're at it, make toon town more like DLs and move Dumbo back next to it.

Instead, with the passage of time, we are happy to have an "expansion" that will give us greater capacity, rather than a diversity of experiences as well as capacity.

Not to harp, but physically, it is not an expansion if you are reusing the same land as before. LM is going right where 20k was, and the only thing expanding on to new ground is the BnB restaurant.
Right on the money! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom