• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Vaping - Good or Bad?

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
There is this intense discussion happening in the Disney World forum regarding the recent smoking ban... so I thought I'd start an actual thread where people can discuss vaping and the health implications, if any.

Lots of "facts" being thrown around about if it is bad for someone, good, or indifferent. So let's get down to the meat of it.

Thoughts? Questions? Queries?

LittleBuford

Advertisement
There is this intense discussion happening in the Disney World forum regarding the recent smoking ban... so I thought I'd start an actual thread where people can discuss Vaping.

Lots of facts/non-facts being thrown around about if it is bad for someone, good, or indifferent.

Thoughts? Questions? Queries?
I’ll keep it simple: it’s better than smoking but still bad.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
I’ll keep it simple: it’s better than smoking but still bad.
I tend to agree. I also don't believe there has really been enough actual study/time for study of the implications it could have on your body... but I think simply if you inhale any foreign/toxic chemicals into your lungs in high doses, over an extended time... you'll find that they often result in negative side effects.

I think the lack of facts against does not mean that it isn't bad, it's just a pretty grey area right now.

ImperfectPixie

As a long-time smoker who wants to quit but can't use most of the nicotine replacement options that don't involve inhaling and has failed multiple times after trying both going cold turkey and just gradually cutting down, I'm going to try switching to vaping this week. I've tried my friend's vape pen a couple of times, and it's not nearly as satisfying for me as a regular cigarette, but at this point anything less dangerous than an actual cigarette would be a step in the right direction.

LittleBuford

I tend to agree. I also don't believe there has really been enough actual study/time for study of the implications it could have on your body... but I think simply if you inhale any foreign/toxic chemicals into your lungs in high doses, over an extended time... you'll find that they often result in negative side effects.

I think the lack of facts against does not mean that it isn't bad, it's just a pretty grey area right now.
It’s got a bunch of teens hooked on nicotine, which alone is enough to make me dislike the stuff. Plus it smells bad.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
As a long-time smoker who wants to quit but can't use most of the nicotine replacement options that don't involve inhaling and has failed multiple times after trying both going cold turkey and just gradually cutting down, I'm going to try switching to vaping this week. I've tried my friend's vape pen a couple of times, and it's not nearly as satisfying for me as a regular cigarette, but at this point anything less dangerous than an actual cigarette would be a step in the right direction.
I honestly do see the benefit for smokers, as I have friends who have also successfully switched over and slowly lowered the nicotine level. I totally get that for someone who is already smoking/suffering from that addiction.

I just don't enjoy potential false information going out that it is harmless, as it has really become for young people today what smoking was in the 50's/60's.

ImperfectPixie

I honestly do see the benefit for smokers, as I have friends who have also successfully switched over and slowly lowered the nicotine level. I totally get that for someone who is already smoking/suffering from that addiction.

I just don't enjoy potential false information going out that it is harmless, as it has really become for young people today what smoking was in the 50's/60's.
I agree. It's an unfortunate reality in today's world that both sides will spread false information. Even when a peer-reviewed study is used for evidence, I like to at least look at the sample size to ensure that they used a large enough sample to collect reasonable data.

DisneyDebRob

It’s got a bunch of teens hooked on nicotine, which alone is enough to make me dislike the stuff. Plus it smells bad.
That is the biggest problem researchers have found over the 20 years of studies, is that kids get hooked on nicotine because of the flavors of the vape. I agree it’s bad. Nicotine is an addictive drug, just like caffeine. There are plenty of people who can’t start their day without coffee or soda, and continue drinking during the day. Nicotine doesn’t cause cancer but it can hook you.
Find it funny that you haven’t found a flavor that someone vaped that you didn’t think smelled good? To each his own but with thousands of flavors out there, some do have a great smell to them. When I’ve vaped on the loading dock where I work, can’t tell you how many people that don’t vape and ones that smoke come down to me and say, wow that’s smells great, what flavor is that? I understand though that you may not enjoy it .🙂

DisneyDebRob

Would love to help in anyway if I can with info and advice to get you off the cigs. I have quit smoking for 3 years now and believe me, there are tricks to keep you off of them and not go back. What to start off with, how to lower your nicotine over time if you wish and more. I tried vaping 2 times before the 3rd time I stuck with it. Can save you money and time. I have my taste back. Can breathe again. The cough went away 2 weeks after starting vaping. Everything changed for the better. You know how to reach me.🙂

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Find it funny that you haven’t found a flavor that someone vaped that you didn’t think smelled good? To each his own but with thousands of flavors out there, some do have a great smell to them. When I’ve vaped on the loading dock where I work, can’t tell you how many people that don’t vape and ones that smoke come down to me and say, wow that’s smells great, what flavor is that? I understand though that you may not enjoy it .🙂
I’d sooner breathe plain air than some cloying, artificially perfumed scent. And again, whether it smells good or not to some is irrelevant—it’s an unsolicited imposition on others.

DisneyDebRob

I’d sooner breathe plain air than some cloying, artificially perfumed scent. And again, whether it smells good or not to some is irrelevant—it’s an unsolicited imposition on others.
We all have our opinions,and everyone is entitled to them. I’m trying to show one side and you the other. It’s all good!

ImperfectPixie

Sort of like the perfume assault teams in department stores. (And I'm a smoker...just trying to illustrate that I get your point.)

Top Bottom