Vanessa Carlton Banned from EPCOT 10/22?

Evo

Kinda off topic, but still on the topic of Disney and swearing. Was watching POTC 3 last night with my son and we decided to watch the bloopers after we were done. There is one scene where Depp and an actor (bad memory or what, just watched it and can't remember who it was already) are going through their scene and the guy screws up and follows it by swearing. Of course they bleep it out, but Depp looks at the camera and says something like "You can't say that in a Disney film, I told him he couldn't say that in a Disney film!" :lol:
I remember watching those bloopers.. That's funny. :lol::lol::lol:

Magic Maker

I never would've thought that she of all of the acts booked, would be the one to screw up like that, but then again I barely know of her and her music, only 1000 miles and that's about it. Oh well.... NEXT.

Phonedave

I think that's too broad a brush, honestly. I would venture to say everyone on this board has some "fallback" phrase or reaction they immediately resort to when they're frustrated.

It might not be a curse word per se, but it could be anything from "darn" to "ugh" to a simple close-mouthed groan. A youth pastor I once encountered blurted out "Mickey Mouse!" whenever he was frustrated. :lol:

These examples might not be offensive to some in the same way cursing is, but they serve essentially the same purpose — and display no more intelligence than employing a curse word would. Human beings in general don't tap a font of immense creativity when it comes to voicing immediate frustration.

Unless someone is in the habit of bursting into Shakespearean haiku when they get mad, I think it's a bit of a canard to use the old saw of "people who curse display less intelligence than people who don't."

But damn it, that's just my opinion. :p

I will give it to you when used in anger or frustration. That's a different story. But the poster I replied to had said cursing is in common usage, and people should get used to it.

It's when it is in common usage that it's a non-creative way of speaking. People can't think of a more descriptive word, so they throw a curse in there.

-dave

Phonedave

Not for that long. Apparently Wiki says she's working on a big tour, but I haven't heard a song from her in a few years.

BTW, I don't think cursing at an Epcot show gives major publicity, wether it be good or bad.

I would of LOVED to see the expressions on people's faces if they heard "Get Low" in Epcot. Considering all their condescending comments about an f-bomb, imagine them hearing THAT song. There heads would explode.

Well, my head is not exploding, just sort of wondering why some people are impressed by such low talent lyrics.

Someday you will look back and say to yourself "Man, I was such an idiot at that age"

Hopefully it will be sooner than later. I myself have it down to about a 3 year roll.

-dave

-

Matchieu

they are just words, I say then around who I know they wont offend and stop myself when I know who they will. Its a respect issue. I have a friend that was at the show and from what I have heard was that she forgot the lyrics to the song she was singing and accidently said ________. Oops there I typed it. People say it from time to time and I am pretty sure this was one of her first times performing to an audience with restrictions. Everyone needs to lighten the ________ up. omg i said it again. find other things to talk about... Disney world is falling apart due to poor corprate management! lets talk about what matters to this site. And now I don't think that its appropriate that she said the word ________ on stage however accidents do need to be looked at as what they are accidents. P.s. Vanessa is the first thing to give spice to food and wine in a while.

Castle Cake Apologist

While I agree that she shouldn't have used the language that she did at a performance at Walt Disney World, I'm surprised more people haven't heard of her.

She's sold almost 4 million albums and put out 4 top 40 hits.

She's not exactly my FAVORITE artist per say, but she's been decently successful...

brinkmagazine

Original Poster
Im the person that started this post and thank you to the ones that actually responded to said question.

Does anyone have any pictures of the performance or give me a lead on where there might be pictures. I searched Flickr, but came up empty handed.

Montyboy

To say she has low class because she cursed on stage is a bit extreme for me. Everyone curses, beleive it or not. I don't see why 2 slips makes her lack common sense and have little class. Maybe you're just too sensitive? :shrug:

Let us now how your next job inteview goes.

I strongly disagree with Dave. I proudly carry my colorful language black belt in my pocket, but I’m careful when I put it on. There is a time and place for certain behavior.

wilsonc

Im the person that started this post and thank you to the ones that actually responded to said question.

Does anyone have any pictures of the performance or give me a lead on where there might be pictures. I searched Flickr, but came up empty handed.

There was an announcement before the show started asking, at the request of the artist, please do not video record the performance. We took pictures, but there is of course, no audio.

Courtney1188

Let us now how your next job inteview goes.

I strongly disagree with Dave. I proudly carry my colorful language black belt in my pocket, but I’m careful when I put it on. There is a time and place for certain behavior.
\

He said someone slipping up and cursing in public does not automatically make them low class. I fail to see how this affects any future job interviews, since never did he say what she did was appropriate, just that people were being too harsh.

And to half of the people posting on this boards: We get it, you don't know who she is. But considering that she has sold millions of albums and had several top 40 hits, it is not unreasonable that we are surprised by you not knowing who she is. Really not a big deal.

SirGoofy

I can't believe we've got seven pages discussing a D-list artist cussing at Epcot...

Sometimes I worry about the people here.:lol:

KeithVH

While I agree that she shouldn't have used the language that she did at a performance at Walt Disney World, I'm surprised more people haven't heard of her.

She's sold almost 4 million albums and put out 4 top 40 hits.

She's not exactly my FAVORITE artist per say, but she's been decently successful...

Well, 4M sold is about as much as Jacky Cheung. What? Never heard of him? He has one album that sold that many. It's all relative.

5 years from now people will be going "Vanessa who?" but still be clamoring for decent acts from anytime before the 90's. Really kinda makes me wonder about much of the junk they try to pass of as music nowadays.

hrcollectibles

I must be out of the loop I have no idea who this person is :shrug:... People curse all the time.. I myself am guilty of it... I do not see what the big deal is.. I do try to watch my language when there are little ears around but accidents do happen

Montyboy

\

He said someone slipping up and cursing in public does not automatically make them low class. I fail to see how this affects any future job interviews, since never did he say what she did was appropriate, just that people were being too harsh.

Not a problem. My point is that if you really try (like at a job interview) you should be able to control slip ups. I’d like to think most people could make it through an important meeting without slipping up twice.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Slip ups SHOULDN'T happen though. As I said before, I swear, but not in public or around my little brother. If you can't control something like that you obviously shouldn't be performing at WDW.

sknydave

She was hopped up on goofballs!

wiggum.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom