Vandalism already happening at Shanghai Disneyland

Piebald

Anyone who travels abroad could have seen this from a mile away. There are forums dedicated to the lol worthiness that is mass Chinese tourism. It's an interesting dynamic that can't really be described and until you have witnessed it in person or lived it you're just not going to understand. And so many people here complain about the Brazilians...Ha!

Phroobar

Just wait until the Chinese need to learn the concept of queuing. I can just see them shoving themselves though to ride Tron. It took a long time for the Japanese to learn to queue. Maybe the parks need some British tourists? No one queues better than the British!;):p

xstech25

Having been to China it's funny to see the outrage in the western world that parents are allowing their kids to go to the bathroom in public at Disneyland. That's normal there...if it bothers you that much don't go to China.

Also that kind of behavior will go away eventually as they become more westernized, it might take a decade (or longer), but western manners are starting to be taught in Chinese schools and the government is making a big push to try and fix that issue. Reality check: Disney wasn't going to sit around and wait for their behavior to change while meanwhile someone else builds a massive theme park/resort in that market.

Last edited:

ddc3264

Guys, guys, this is terrible. Not the news, but the reactions. The Chinese are not bad people. Not at all. Their culture is just different, and they find many things we do to be as disgusting and inhumane. Americans are no better. And disclaimer, I'm not Chinese. I'm an American, and I can't say I'm proud of that today.

Vandalism is terrible and inexcusable, and Chinese people are well aware. That's why, out of the thousands who've visited, only a few committed such damage. It's a tiny percentage, but of course we blame them all! Littering is rude, but just like vandalism, it occurs no less in American cities. These kind of people exist everywhere and in every nationality.

Sitting on the grass and wading in the bushes (and peeing in them)... these are two things that most Chinese see nothing wrong with, and preventing them might be serious challenge. Honestly, these photos mean little to me, and I'm not sure why everyone is so obsessed over minor damage. I'd be much more interested to see how it all looks a day later. How well Disney cleans up here is the real question I have.

In the end, it's Disney's responsibilty. If people are walking and peeing in grass and bushes, maybe Disney should put some fences up. If people are littering, maybe they should put a garbage can in that spot. Also, people have a habit of following others' actions. If there's a pile of trash on the grass, someone walking by would be more inclined to throw theirs right on top. Similarly, vandalism encourages others to do the same. It's a chain reaction. Disney needs to keep the place clean to prevent this stuff from catching on.

So I'm not depressed by the vandalism and the photos. What I am depressed by is all of the closed-minded and racist comments, here and elsewhere, pegging the Chinese as a horrible and filthy group of people.

I really thought we'd do better in the year 2016. I really did.
I am of Chinese decent, Dad was from China and mom was half. I am embarrassed for this. THIS should NOT be the representation of ANY culture. Destruction and disrespect and dishonor is what this was. Disneyland opened with over 10,000 uninvited guests due to ticket fraud. They DID not destroy and vandalize. WDW opened in 1971 with a line of cars waiting for miles. They did not disrespect or dishonor. Paris opened to a deluge of problems, they did not do these things. I do not thing that just squatting anywhere is a "Chinese cultural" thing. It wasn't and if it has become one then the civilization of 5000 years has gone backwards. As retailers know you may be able to mitigate somewhat but you can NEVER prevent vandalism. What you hope for is that your clientele respect you and your business and /or service enough that they see it hurts themselves to hurt you. Higher prices, more restrictions, less or no upgrades in the future. Who wants to pour more money in when it will just be destroyed?
This is NOT on Disney. Disney could make the park a lockdown park, No ability to get at anything. High fences, gates everywhere, guards at every corner. Then everybody would be pointing at Disney, look at how you built this guarded park, shame on you. If then Disney turned around and said "we were just taking into account Hong Kong or other cultural norms". People would be blasting them for the comment and for the preparations. Disney was counting on some level of restraint, decorum, and responsibility. No not everybody did it. But enough people did to make all that work have to be redone. Yes people vandalize here. Ever see even close to this amount in Downtown Disney on either coast? Never! Both are open to the public, both do NOT have high walls or gates or fences. Both have plenty of landscaping and fountains. But you don't see anything like this even when it was new. For that matter this did not occur at the shopping area for "EuroDisney" as Disneyland Paris was called then. The Chinese people have a VERY long and proud history of civilization and honor, this was NOT being civilized, nor a proud moment. My father would be ashamed. NOT of being Chinese, but of the impression and mark of dishonor it leaves.

ddc3264

I am of Chinese decent, Dad was from China and mom was half. I am embarrassed for this. THIS should NOT be the representation of ANY culture. Destruction and disrespect and dishonor is what this was. Disneyland opened with over 10,000 uninvited guests due to ticket fraud. They DID not destroy and vandalize. WDW opened in 1971 with a line of cars waiting for miles. They did not disrespect or dishonor. Paris opened to a deluge of problems, they did not do these things. I do not thing that just squatting anywhere is a "Chinese cultural" thing. It wasn't and if it has become one then the civilization of 5000 years has gone backwards. As retailers know you may be able to mitigate somewhat but you can NEVER prevent vandalism. What you hope for is that your clientele respect you and your business and /or service enough that they see it hurts themselves to hurt you. Higher prices, more restrictions, less or no upgrades in the future. Who wants to pour more money in when it will just be destroyed?
This is NOT on Disney. Disney could make the park a lockdown park, No ability to get at anything. High fences, gates everywhere, guards at every corner. Then everybody would be pointing at Disney, look at how you built this guarded park, shame on you. If then Disney turned around and said "we were just taking into account Hong Kong or other cultural norms". People would be blasting them for the comment and for the preparations. Disney was counting on some level of restraint, decorum, and responsibility. No not everybody did it. But enough people did to make all that work have to be redone. Yes people vandalize here. Ever see even close to this amount in Downtown Disney on either coast? Never! Both are open to the public, both do NOT have high walls or gates or fences. Both have plenty of landscaping and fountains. But you don't see anything like this even when it was new. For that matter this did not occur at the shopping area for "EuroDisney" as Disneyland Paris was called then. The Chinese people have a VERY long and proud history of civilization and honor, this was NOT being civilized, nor a proud moment. My father would be ashamed. NOT of being Chinese, but of the impression and mark of dishonor it leaves.

peachykeen

I've visited SHDR for the past three days and each day I have seen at least one case of going to the bathroom in public inside the park. One was in a queue and urine got all over the handrail. Also had to deal with defending my position in queues constantly. Line-cutters were active in every queue.

ItlngrlBella

They need this sign all over and for theming they can add Mickey ears to it. :happy:

image.jpeg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I've visited SHDR for the past three days and each day I have seen at least one case of going to the bathroom in public inside the park. One was in a queue and urine got all over the handrail. Also had to deal with defending my position in queues constantly. Line-cutters were active in every queue.
Were the portable toilets still in front of the park? I'd have to look at a map more carefully but I wouldn't be surprised if Shanghai Disneyland did not meet the EPCOT Plumbing Code when it comes to distance between restrooms.

ItlngrlBella

image.png
It's frustrating to see TWDW company make such an amazing park and then people trash it to you-know-where. I cannot believe this is cultural. This is plain disrespect.

lazyboy97o

View attachment 146912 It's frustrating to see TWDW company make such an amazing park and then people trash it to you-know-where. I cannot believe this is cultural. This is plain disrespect.
It's not that amazing and most of the parks end up plenty trashed at certain points.

I thought Disney sent something to Mainland Chinese guests about this.
Huh? Do you think they send a flying to every home or something?

peep

OK, so I'm a little torn about this sort of thing. The pushing in queues can be found anywhere in the World, sounds like this kid just had some unlucky experiences. I visit a lot of parks and this is a common problem, not a Chinese one.

The urinating tends to be in areas where it won't affect others (in plants and in bottles (I noticed the latter in a queue, I was fine with this, better than the kid wetting himself or being a nuisance trying to get back to their spot in the queue).

The going into unauthorized areas and ripping things off the wall is obviously where I despair but it's just a difference in culture and one which will hopefully get better over time.

Oh and the umbrellas. Yeah, they can be a bit of a problem, just beat it by getting to shows before they do and being equally stubborn about your spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom