Vacation Planning-1997 Style

Starlight67

Original Poster
I got my old VCR working and popped in a 1997 Vacation Planning videotape. (1997 was the 25th anniversary -aka Pepto Bismol Castle time-I know lots of us were there :)

Thought some of you long-time visitors would like a walk down memory lane.

Missing from the video was any mention of Fast Pass, so I guess this was before even the paper passes?

The video highlighted:

'New Tomorrowland' and Alien Encounter
The new land-Mickey's Toontown Fair
Night time Fantasy in the Sky fireworks and Spectromagic parade

Ellen's Universe of Energy and 'opening spring of 1997' Test Trak (unnamed at that point) were highlights of the Epcot video. As well as 'Illuminations 25 by GE'.

Disney Studios was still advertised as a working studio. The backlot tour which, 'takes you through the working studio', The Toy Story Parade, the Monster Sound Show, and a special 25th Anniversary 'double drop' at Tower of Terror were all included. 'Sorcery In the Sky' was the night time fireworks show.

Two hotels-Dixie Landings, 'which will give you the feeling of the Old South', and Port Orleans which will 'take you to New Orleans' were highlighted for the moderates. Not sure when these two merged.

'Shop at Disney Village Marketplace and be sure to visit Pleasure Island and the revolving dance floor at Mannequins. And brand new for our 25th Anniversary- the Boardwalk district!'

Three water parks were mentioned-only two highlighted, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. I assume this was because River Country was on it's last legs.

The end of the video was all about the overly happy people taking classes you could take at Disney Institute and the Disney Magic, 'sailing early 1998'

A room rate guide was included.
During value season:
All Stars: $69 per night
Moderates: $114 per night
Deluxe:$260 per night

Overviews of the park entrances were minus the dreaded bag check back then, good ol' days!

sophie_the_pooh

I remember going that year with my family, I was 16! I don't remember Fastpasses either at that point... I remember the cake castle, which I thought was nice back then, but hate now when I watch the pictures! :banghead: I also remember the backlot tour, is it possible they had props for The Nutty Professor movie?
Anyways, thank you OP for bringing that up, brings back a lot of good memories!:inlove:

Master Gracey 5

We went in 1997 and have our pictures with the pink castle. I find it interesting how many new hotels were opening at the 25th similar to how we're getting lots of new hotels for the 50th...

geekza

I went on my first Honeymoon to WDW in January of 1997. It was glorious (even the Cake Castle) and as sparsely-populated as I've ever seen it. We stayed at Port Orleans (now French Quarter) and had a marvelous time. Somehow through the years, I lost the nice print they gave everyone to commemorate the 25th. The first thing we did was hit Epcot in the evening and walk right on to Spaceship Earth. It was a great way to start the vacation.

BrerWayne

I got my old VCR working and popped in a 1997 Vacation Planning videotape. (1997 was the 25th anniversary -aka Pepto Bismol Castle time-I know lots of us were there :)

Thought some of you long-time visitors would like a walk down memory lane.

Missing from the video was any mention of Fast Pass, so I guess this was before even the paper passes?

The video highlighted:

'New Tomorrowland' and Alien Encounter
The new land-Mickey's Toontown Fair
Night time Fantasy in the Sky fireworks and Spectromagic parade

Ellen's Universe of Energy and 'opening spring of 1997' Test Trak (unnamed at that point) were highlights of the Epcot video. As well as 'Illuminations 25 by GE'.

Disney Studios was still advertised as a working studio. The backlot tour which, 'takes you through the working studio', The Toy Story Parade, the Monster Sound Show, and a special 25th Anniversary 'double drop' at Tower of Terror were all included. 'Sorcery In the Sky' was the night time fireworks show.

Two hotels-Dixie Landings, 'which will give you the feeling of the Old South', and Port Orleans which will 'take you to New Orleans' were highlighted for the moderates. Not sure when these two merged.

'Shop at Disney Village Marketplace and be sure to visit Pleasure Island and the revolving dance floor at Mannequins. And brand new for our 25th Anniversary- the Boardwalk district!'

Three water parks were mentioned-only two highlighted, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. I assume this was because River Country was on it's last legs.

The end of the video was all about the overly happy people taking classes you could take at Disney Institute and the Disney Magic, 'sailing early 1998'

A room rate guide was included.
During value season:
All Stars: $69 per night
Moderates: $114 per night
Deluxe:$260 per night

Overviews of the park entrances were minus the dreaded bag check back then, good ol' days!
I ran the Marathon in January of 1998 and have a picture of me running down Main Street with the pink castle in the background.

baymenxpac

I went on my first Honeymoon to WDW in January of 1997. It was glorious (even the Cake Castle) and as sparsely-populated as I've ever seen it. We stayed at Port Orleans (now French Quarter) and had a marvelous time. Somehow through the years, I lost the nice print they gave everyone to commemorate the 25th. The first thing we did was hit Epcot in the evening and walk right on to Spaceship Earth. It was a great way to start the vacation.

unpopular opinion alert: i kind of love/loved the cake castle.

i feel like it's the kind of large scale special touch that we would basically kill for nowadays. i even felt that way about the 2000 version of the wand on spaceship earth (but only the 2000 version, not the epcot version). frankly, i'd still be open to touches like this, provided there wasn't a chance --from budgetary constraints to outright laziness -- that something they'd do now would stick around for over a decade.

Worldlover71

I just found that print rolled up in a box in the closet! We went in February 1997 and it was a great time to be at WDW. Low/no wait times and very little planning required. We decided to go just a few days before hand and had no problems getting reservations or getting on rides. I still love going but try that now!

John park hopper

I just found that print rolled up in a box in the closet! We went in February 1997 and it was a great time to be at WDW. Low/no wait times and very little planning required. We decided to go just a few days before hand and had no problems getting reservations or getting on rides. I still love going but try that now!

Have the castle print framed and on the wall. You are correct little planning needed -- ours was a last minute "let's go to WDW" had no trouble getting reservations very little wait times. Those were the days

MinnieWaffles

Can't go last minute to WDW now? I've heard people say that they'd had good success making FPs anywhere up to the night before, same with ADRs. Yes you might not get the big new headliners, but back in old fastpass times if you didn't get there within an hour of park opening you couldn't get one either.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Can't go last minute to WDW now? I've heard people say that they'd had good success making FPs anywhere up to the night before, same with ADRs. Yes you might not get the big new headliners, but back in old fastpass times if you didn't get there within an hour of park opening you couldn't get one either.

Last August I booked my trip 3 days before we left. We initially were going to Maryland but the weather was colder than anticipated so we cancelled and went to Disney. Had no issues finding fastpasses, sure I couldn't get 7DMT or FEA but I was happy with the ones we had :D

danyoung56

Hey marni, thanks for posting that link. I have almost every one of these promotional videos, except that one. Fun to watch!

geekza

unpopular opinion alert: i kind of love/loved the cake castle.

i feel like it's the kind of large scale special touch that we would basically kill for nowadays. i even felt that way about the 2000 version of the wand on spaceship earth (but only the 2000 version, not the epcot version). frankly, i'd still be open to touches like this, provided there wasn't a chance --from budgetary constraints to outright laziness -- that something they'd do now would stick around for over a decade.
I'm right there with you. I enjoyed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom