Vacation Club Villas

Gail Hayden

CAPTAINJACK said:
OKW - Got that. I was not referring to that particular resort, as parking is right in front of your villa. I was referring to the villas that are a part of a hotel-type resort (particularly WL and BW). That is also what I mean by "villas" in the valet parking comment (I know that Disney calls them all villas - I was trying to differentiate between the Hotel-type and the park-right-in-front-of-your-place type villas).

As far as the groceries - We try to bring things down with us, and like to go right into the parks when we get there, and we have no guarantee that we get into our room right away. So we like the convenience of the service with the understanding that we are paying a lot more than at the local super market. We also tend not to need all that much, so it doesn't cost us that much more in total. I think it comes down to do you want to save a few bucks by making a trip, or save the trip by paying a few bucks. :)

Any way you look at it, you don't have to hoof it down to the hotel restaurant for a big cup of coffee and a bagel each morning, so its all good!

Yes, it certainly is all good, except for the bagel. :) Your point about saving a few bucks, etc. is well taken. It is truly a matter of "different strokes".
We usually get right into the unit, and have no desire to hit the parks the first day (except for Illuminations the first night sometimes). It has become a ritual for us (note the word "us") to go shopping the first day. We usually cook in the room most of the time we are there. I love to cook, so, it is not an issue for me. If I was just getting a few things, then a shopping service would be great, but, I do shop just like I do at home and it would definitely be WAY more expensive. Heck, if I did that, I may as well just eat out all the time. :)
Like I said before, this is a great thread for sharing experiences, "rituals" and ways to do things. The really nice thing is all the options are available and we get to do what we are comfortable with. :) Now, that is really all good. :)

Gail Hayden

bears163 said:
Ms Brer Rabbit WE LIVE JUST EAST OF PHILLY. we joined just a few months ago, our first trip as DVC members is only 319 days away. dec 10-15 or 16th not sure yet pends on what airport we flyout of. went out of philly in sept and di not like the trip down and back. but it is the cheapest around for usair. think southwest out of baltimore this year.

Southwest now flies out of Philly.

bears163

oops i ment west of philly (lancaster). i did not like philly due to the flight delays. i prefer harrisburg but it is more expensive.(only 15 minutes away). not sure what to do.

Gail Hayden

bears163 said:
oops i ment west of philly (lancaster). i did not like philly due to the flight delays. i prefer harrisburg but it is more expensive.(only 15 minutes away). not sure what to do.

It is ok, since I am not a geography wonder it means not a lot to me. :)
I just wanted you to know that SWA has service from Philly. Some people still don't know that they added that airport. Why does Philly have flight delays, or is it just one or two airlines that delay stuff?

MR. DISNEY

Welcome Home...... I have been a DVC member from 2000 I own at WL. I go for about 3 weeks a year. I have stayed at the Boardwalk once and this time I will be staying at OKW. that said I ALWAYS want to stay at WL. The first thing I do after check in is get to the boat, over to MK, and right to Casey's for a Grand Slam and Fries than..... LET THE MAGIC BEGIN!!!!! :sohappy:

RebeccaQ

I have a question for the DVC owners. We are considering it and I noticed that some of you have mentioned owning at more than one property - how does that work? I am guessing that has come about either by buying resale and/or adding more points later after one place has sold out. Are there complications to owning your points at more that one property? We are wondering if we need to buy all the points we think we might need now or if it will be easy to combine in more later.

I would also like to know your favorite property for convenience to the parks, best transportation, and availability of its own dining options. We always fly and do not rent a car.

thanks

CAPTAINJACK

RebeccaQ said:
I have a question for the DVC owners. We are considering it and I noticed that some of you have mentioned owning at more than one property - how does that work? I am guessing that has come about either by buying resale and/or adding more points later after one place has sold out. Are there complications to owning your points at more that one property? We are wondering if we need to buy all the points we think we might need now or if it will be easy to combine in more later.

I would also like to know your favorite property for convenience to the parks, best transportation, and availability of its own dining options. We always fly and do not rent a car.

thanks

I'm not sure if there is info in another thread on the first part of the question, but here goes:

We own at WL and BC. The complications come out of needing more points than you have to book your home resort more than seven months in advance (that even SOUNDS complicated). The DVC people help out with that sort of thing. If you can afford it, buy as much as you think you will need. We bought more because we wanted to start going every year instead of every other and WL was sold out, so we got the last of BC.

As far as where to stay, the first reply to this thread was really good, and I would add that the Epcot resorts (BC & BW) give you close access to both Epcot and MGM, and have multiple restaurants within walking distance without having to go into a park at the Boardwalk and in the hotels.

If you don't rent a car, the access at WL is limited to MK by boat, and we found that getting to the monorail resorts was a little cumbersome for us (we like renting a car and going from point A to B as quickly as possible). You take a bus to everywhere else, and I have heard that the bus system to/from WL is not the most efficient (lots of stops, etc.). There are also only two restaurant choices within walking distance. Keep in mind, though, you have a full kitchen about twenty feet from your bed, if you don't mind cooking! :animwink:

evanssc

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who posted. I am glad to hear that there are so many happy DVC members. We are so looking forward to our first trip in Oct.

For those of you who have visited the villas at WL, did you find the boat to the MK easy to use? How is the wait time in the mornings? We will have a car and plan to drive to the other parks as needed. I too have heard that the bus from WL has several stops and can be slow going.

Thanks

CAPTAINJACK

Yeah, the boat really is the quickest way to get to MK from WL. Many boats run, and you may have to go to Ft. Wilderness campground (either on the way or back - can't remember), but it is pretty quick. Take the car everywhere else. Mornings are like any Disney transportation from resort to park: a fair amount of early birds, but you should make the first boat after you reach the dock with no problem.

moopdog

Jumping in here to get your "expert" opinons...

I have posted several (too many to count) about our dilema of WHERE to stay? There are five of us & the kids are 13, 4 and 2. The two year old qualifies as a baby, so we CAN technically stay in a place that sleeps 4, BUT she will be 3 weeks away from 3 and will not sleep in a bed, so I'm saying that we need a place to sleep 5.

We had decided on POR, but then I got info about the DVC, and renting points and have fallen in love with the description of Beach Club Villas (WL is a close 2nd), but not sure if it's worth the $1040 for a studio - we can't afford a 1-bedroom) when we can have POR for about $900. That said .... we could actually get adjoinging rooms at an all-star resort for a little more than the studio at BCV. That's almost as much room as having a 2-bedroom but with no frills. I JUST CAN'T MAKE A DECISION!! I'm sorry but this is supposed to be fun. This is what matters to us: 1) enough room for everyone 2) saving $$$ 3) a fun pool that the kids won't mind spending all of one day and skipping the parks. 4) again... space and saving $$!! If one of our kids has to sleep on the floor, that's okay I guess, they can take turns each night. We won't be driving or having a rental car, so is that a factor too? It seems like most people at BCV have their own cars.

Does the BCV have a playground area? Isn't there a place with two beds AND a daybed for the same money I'd spend on a studio?

So many questions... I'm so sorry for continuously needed so much info. Hopefully soon I'll make a decision - stick with it - and enjoy the next 8 months until our trip!

Thanks again,
Moopdog

Gail Hayden

moopdog said:
I have posted several (too many to count) about our dilema of WHERE to stay? There are five of us & the kids are 13, 4 and 2. The two year old qualifies as a baby, so we CAN technically stay in a place that sleeps 4, BUT she will be 3 weeks away from 3 and will not sleep in a bed, so I'm saying that we need a place to sleep 5.

We had decided on POR, but then I got info about the DVC, and renting points and have fallen in love with the description of Beach Club Villas (WL is a close 2nd), but not sure if it's worth the $1040 for a studio - we can't afford a 1-bedroom) when we can have POR for about $900. That said .... we could actually get adjoinging rooms at an all-star resort for a little more than the studio at BCV. That's almost as much room as having a 2-bedroom but with no frills. I JUST CAN'T MAKE A DECISION!! I'm sorry but this is supposed to be fun. This is what matters to us: 1) enough room for everyone 2) saving $$$ 3) a fun pool that the kids won't mind spending all of one day and skipping the parks. 4) again... space and saving $$!! If one of our kids has to sleep on the floor, that's okay I guess, they can take turns each night. We won't be driving or having a rental car, so is that a factor too? It seems like most people at BCV have their own cars.

Does the BCV have a playground area? Isn't there a place with two beds AND a daybed for the same money I'd spend on a studio?

So many questions... I'm so sorry for continuously needed so much info. Hopefully soon I'll make a decision - stick with it - and enjoy the next 8 months until our trip!

Thanks again,
Moopdog

Children under 3 (regardless of how many weeks until their 3 birthday) do not count against the max in a room. All of the DVC resorts have a pack and play for children under 3.
The studio rooms at DVC resorts have a microwave, toaster, small fridge and, IMHO, are way nicer than a reg. resort room. I think they are larger also.
I cannot help you make a decision, that is your monkey. :) But, given the choice, I would opt for the studio at DVC.
All Disney resorts have playgrounds and nice pools. Port Orleans (not the French Quarter) has rooms with trundle beds.
No, most people at BCV do not have their own cars, they rely on the transportation system. A lot of people at OKW have their own cars.
BCV studios have one bed and a queen sized sleeper and the pack and play.

DisneyPhD

Gail Hayden said:
There is really no long walk regardless of your unit at OKW. Parking, with a few exceptions,parking is right outside your unit/building.
We take the 2 hours on the first day and to to Sam's Club and Super WalMart to shop, saves a ton of money. I refuse to pay 40% more to have someone shop for me, but, that is just me. :)
Valet parking is available only at DVC resorts, is that what you mean by "villas" resorts?
I like this thread, talking and sharing is fun. :)

If you don't have a car, almost everything is a long walk at OKW. If you aren't renting a car or driving, then you might want to consider a different resort. (epscially if you have small kids.) I am not talking to you gail, just others who read your post. :animwink:

My very favorite resort is BCV, I just love that place. The themeing and the pool and the location are just perfect for me. We own at VWL, but BCV is my personal favorite. (2nd trip there is in 3 weeks. :sohappy: )

Cindy K was right about everything (back on page 1) :sohappy:

Ok now for moopdog

As much as I love DVC and BCV a studio there might not be your best choice. There isn't 2 beds, there is one full size bed (not sure if it a queen or not) and a sleeper sofa. The sofa isn't bad for one kid, but can be difficult to share. Having said that our next trip we will have DH and I, DD (4) DD (7 months) and Niece (13) in a stuido at BCV. Our plan, DH and I on the bed. Neice on the sofa bed, baby in pack in play and DD 4 on the floor on a blow up sleeping bag she really likes. My DD loved sleeping in a back in play even after she was 3 years old. I think she might have to fight the baby for it this time! I am pretty sure they will give you 2 pack in plays if you want them.

But for a family of 5 a room at PORS might be the best since they have 2 full size bed and a roll away trundel bed. The rooms at BC and YC also have a day bed that might work. So just getting a normal room at Y&B might be something to look into. All mods and delxues have refridgeraters now so that will help. I don't know if you will want 2 rooms with the youn kids, mine always want to be close on vacation (fine in their own rooms at home.)

Y&B is a great resort for a family with kids your age. It does have a playground. The pool SAB is with out question on of the best around (not just WDW prop, but anywhere. It is wonderful for young kids, and just as great for older kids.

Look for codes to save some money if you can. If you go to PORS, it is a good place, you won't be disapointed. We are staying there for 4 nights in May before we head over to Vero Beach for 3 nights. Y&B really is great. I can't say enough good things about it.

evanssc

Original Poster
I know that there is a long term plan to continue adding on to Saratoga Springs, but has anyone heard of any plans to create another set of villas anywhere else? I think I remember our DVC guide talking about an idea to build a set of villas between the Contemporary and MK. He seemed excited about the idea, but I do not see how they would have enough room to build another resort there.

Gail Hayden

HTML:
If you don't have a car, almost everything is a long walk at OKW. If you aren't renting a car or driving, then you might want to consider a different resort. (epscially if you have small kids.) I am not talking to you gail, just others who read your post. :animwink:

good point!!! I was mostly talking about parking, as you probably already know. :) IMHO, there is nothing longer than some of the walks in hotel type corridors.
But, I totally agree, at OKW, almost everything is a long walk away, unless you are close to the main area. I get a LOT of exercise there. LOL.

Gail Hayden

evanssc said:
I know that there is a long term plan to continue adding on to Saratoga Springs, but has anyone heard of any plans to create another set of villas anywhere else? I think I remember our DVC guide talking about an idea to build a set of villas between the Contemporary and MK. He seemed excited about the idea, but I do not see how they would have enough room to build another resort there.

I heard from the former tennis coach/pro that they were going to redo the "wings" at the Contemp and make them DVC units. Best bet, ask your vacation guide, if anyone knows, they should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom