Using point transfers to pay dues

BWDVCkidsince96

Original Poster
This has been something I’ve been working on writing up for awhile. Kind of hard to explain succinctly but hopefully it came across alright. Interested to hear if anyone else does this every year.

nickys

Premium Member
All I’ll say is that it’s a risk.

First and foremost, a transfer of points is far from simple. It needs a 3-way telephone call. It also requires a huge amount of trust on both sides, as either party could scam the other. DVC will not get involved to sort it out either.

Realloaction of points is indeed possible but if you run out of luck you’ll then be left with those distressed points to try and rent them out at a higher price than you paid for them. And there is no guarantee you’ll be able to do that. Especially now. You only have to read about all the problems from the last few months to realise why:

- There is likely to be a glut of points for rent in the next couple of years.
- Covid has shown that renting points is risky and a lot of people have ended up losing money.
- Disney will be discounting rooms heavily; why would someone take the risk of renting when they can book with Disney for a similar cost which can be cancelled or moved?
- It takes time to build up a reputation as a trustworthy owner renting out points. Most people will want to rent from someone who is a long-standing member of a forum etc

I’ll also simply say that for someone seemingly so experienced at managing points she isn’t as on top of procedures as she thinks. The reallocation of points for bookings made during the home resort period has never been allowed. She can also do re-allocations herself online now.

Regardless, that’s a lot of work even if it did work

I will rent out points that I can’t use, two years worth so far. Thanks 2020.🙁 But I’ll not be trying her self styled “genius idea”.

BWDVCkidsince96

Original Poster
Touché. But in this case the person purchasing the transferred points wouldn’t be breaking that rule. The person doing the transferring would be, and it happens all the time. There are entire Facebook groups with tens of thousands of people dedicated to people transferring points to one another for compensation.

BWDVCkidsince96

Original Poster
All I’ll say is that it’s a risk.

First and foremost, a transfer of points is far from simple. It needs a 3-way telephone call. It also requires a huge amount of trust on both sides, as either party could scam the other. DVC will not get involved to sort it out either.

Realloaction of points is indeed possible but if you run out of luck you’ll then be left with those distressed points to try and rent them out at a higher price than you paid for them. And there is no guarantee you’ll be able to do that. Especially now. You only have to read about all the problems from the last few months to realise why:

- There is likely to be a glut of points for rent in the next couple of years.
- Covid has shown that renting points is risky and a lot of people have ended up losing money.
- Disney will be discounting rooms heavily; why would someone take the risk of renting when they can book with Disney for a similar cost which can be cancelled or moved?
- It takes time to build up a reputation as a trustworthy owner renting out points. Most people will want to rent from someone who is a long-standing member of a forum etc

I’ll also simply say that for someone seemingly so experienced at managing points she isn’t as on top of procedures as she thinks. The reallocation of points for bookings made during the home resort period has never been allowed. She can also do re-allocations herself online now.

Regardless, that’s a lot of work even if it did work

I will rent out points that I can’t use, two years worth so far. Thanks 2020.🙁 But I’ll not be trying her self styled “genius idea”.
Just to clarify, I am the “she” lol.
A transfer is typically extraordinarily simple in my experience, as long as all rules have been met. You literally make a 3 way call and the transaction is done in two minutes. It’s the easiest way anyone can ever rent their points. No worrying about booking specific dates for people, making changes, etc.

Im not sure why you say I’m not up on my procedures. I clearly outline that they made it possible to do everything online recently, and I clarify the benefits of doing it on the phone when possible. I also was probably the first person to post when that change was made by the way. If you go through my posts you’ll see that the day transferred points became visible on people’s dashboards, I posted about it and linked to it on here, because I happened to be on the phone with member services when it happened (since I seem to always be on the phone with them doing one thing or another lol).
It does take a little bit to become a reputable renter. On Facebook it’s pretty easy. I started renting on Facebook last year and my first rental took about a day to get a response and get something booked. From then on I’ve just been piling up references and thankfully Facebook is a good forum for allowing people to search and make sure there is no negative feedback about anyone. Allows for more trust. Some people also elect to become Facebook friends and/or have a phone call to feel more connected. I have another post on the blog about the risks, when to use a contract, and why. I agree there is a good deal of risk for the person renting the points (the person paying).

nickys

Premium Member
Just to clarify, I am the “she” lol.
A transfer is typically extraordinarily simple in my experience, as long as all rules have been met. You literally make a 3 way call and the transaction is done in two minutes. It’s the easiest way anyone can ever rent their points. No worrying about booking specific dates for people, making changes, etc.

Im not sure why you say I’m not up on my procedures. I clearly outline that they made it possible to do everything online recently, and I clarify the benefits of doing it on the phone when possible. I also was probably the first person to post when that change was made by the way. If you go through my posts you’ll see that the day transferred points became visible on people’s dashboards, I posted about it and linked to it on here, because I happened to be on the phone with member services when it happened (since I seem to always be on the phone with them doing one thing or another lol).
It does take a little bit to become a reputable renter. On Facebook it’s pretty easy. I started renting on Facebook last year and my first rental took about a day to get a response and get something booked. From then on I’ve just been piling up references and thankfully Facebook is a good forum for allowing people to search and make sure there is no negative feedback about anyone. Allows for more trust. Some people also elect to become Facebook friends and/or have a phone call to feel more connected. I have another post on the blog about the risks, when to use a contract, and why. I agree there is a good deal of risk for the person renting the points (the person paying).

Hi,

I mis-read that first post, I thought you meant you had been considering doing what was in the article and wanted feedback on how it would work.

My comment about not being up to date about procedures was more to do with two things, maybe I wasn’t clear.

1) You have never been allowed to circumvent the home resort priority booking period by swapping other points into a reservation made at 7-11 months, unless there is still availability when you do the swap at 7 months. Sometimes a CM would do it, but they shouldn’t.

2) You can do the points swap yourself online now, and have been able to since around February this year. You can modify the reservation and select the contract to take the points from. I don’t think you mentioned that in the article.

As for a points transfer being simple, I’ll agree to differ. A 3-way call isn’t that easy to set up (and since I’m in the U.K. becomes even more tricky and expensive). You also both need to have your story straight: a friend of mine tripped up when she and the person receiving the points both answered with a different reason for the transfer - they weren’t expecting the CM to ask and they didn’t get the transfer.

However I was really referring to the trust factor. Both sides can be scammed by the other. And there is no recourse at all, no contract will help because what you’re doing is against the rules of DVC.

Last edited:

BWDVCkidsince96

Original Poster
Hi,

I mis-read that first post, I thought you meant you had been considering doing what was in the article and wanted feedback on how it would work.

My comment about not being up to date about procedures was more to do with two things, maybe I wasn’t clear.

1) You have never been allowed to circumvent the home resort priority booking period by swapping other points into a reservation made at 7-11 months, unless there is still availability when you do the swap at 7 months. Sometimes a CM would do it, but they shouldn’t.

2) You can do the points swap yourself online now, and have been able to since around February this year. You can modify the reservation and select the contract to take the points from. I don’t think you mentioned that in the article.

As for a points transfer being simple, I’ll agree to differ. A 3-way call isn’t that easy to set up (and since I’m in the U.K. becomes even more tricky and expensive). You also both need to have your story straight: a friend of mine tripped up when she and the person receiving the points both answered with a different reason for the transfer - they weren’t expecting the CM to ask and they didn’t get the transfer.

However I was really referring to the trust factor. Both sides can be scammed by the other. And there is no recourse at all, no contract will help because what you’re doing is against the rules of DVC.
No worries. Yea everyone has a different comfort level with point rentals in general, so that’s why I add a lot of disclaimer about being highly risk tolerant, and how it’s not for everyone.

As far as the point swapping thing.... I totally wasn’t even aware you could do that online. I need to look more into that. I know that transferred in points became visible online and able to be used for booking reservations online a month or two ago and it was an awesome improvement. Had no idea about the point swapping, so thanks for the tip !

I have actually had a member services person reallocate points for a reservation booked in the home resort booking window at least once. It was obviously a fluke and I’ve subsequently been told that that’s not allowed. The first person either didn’t know what they were doing or just did it because it was my first time asking, not sure. Definitely definitely not allowed though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom