Using old magic bands

ELG13

Original Poster
We have decorated magic bands from our October trip we want to use again this year. How do do it? Do I need to decline the ones they are offering? The old ones are still on the account (obviously).

ELG13

Original Poster
If they're free, take them. Otherwise, sure - in MDE just link them (all) to your new tickets.
They are the standard ones that come when you book a package. I just don't want to waste them. Some of us need new ones but some don't.

Rob562

We have decorated magic bands from our October trip we want to use again this year. How do do it? Do I need to decline the ones they are offering? The old ones are still on the account (obviously).

You can have multiple Bands associated with your MDE profile. All Bands (both old and new) will work interchangeably for your upcoming trip. There's nothing to do to switch between Bands apart from deciding which color to put on each morning and putting on your wrist. So feel free to order a second Band of a different color and color-coordinate. (I have 6 or 7 Bands on my account right now, some decorated with decals, some plain)

-Rob

ELG13

Original Poster
You can have multiple Bands associated with your MDE profile. All Bands (both old and new) will work interchangeably for your upcoming trip. There's nothing to do to switch between Bands apart from deciding which color to put on each morning and putting on your wrist. So feel free to order a second Band of a different color and color-coordinate. (I have 6 or 7 Bands on my account right now, some decorated with decals, some plain)

-Rob
Oh wow! I had no idea it was that easy!!! So I can order new ones and bring both sets and just wear whichever one? The tickets and anything else associated with that account is on all of them?

BoarderPhreak

Then take them... Trust me, you're paying for them one way or another. ;)

Yup - you can have lots of them, plain, limited editions, other printed ones. Just match them up in MDE.

correcaminos

It is easy to switch around. A word of caution though. We have a few people in our MDE account and we had accumulated probably 10 bands a person and it started to cause issues with check in. So once we got home I went through all the bands and marked ones inactive that I didn't want to use again. Then I called Disney IT to have the bands permanently removed from the system.

We'll see if it helps or not.

The other thing to think about is that old bands lose the long range function of the battery after a few years. One of our sets only lasted 1.5 years. That only matters when trying to get pictures off of rides like Frozen or 7DMT where there is no tap point to save your picture.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Oh wow! I had no idea it was that easy!!! So I can order new ones and bring both sets and just wear whichever one? The tickets and anything else associated with that account is on all of them?

Yes.

MBs transmit only one thing: Their ID number. When a tap point (or a long range scanner) reads that ID#, it looks up the guest to whom it belongs and what privileges you have associated with your account (Disney resort room for unlocking the door or charging back to your room, tickets to get into the park, FastPasses, etc...).

You can have many Ticket Cards with the RFID-implanted chip or MBs associated with your account. They all work interchangeably*.

*The exception to the rule is Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game which is attached to a MB's ID# and not your account.

gmk3855

Just go into the my Disney experience website and you can manage the magic bands and deactivate or keep active certain magic bands. If they are offering I always get them if since they are free. Just be careful with how old of ones that you use. The bands have a sealed battery inside and after a certain period of time they will stop working.

Rob562

Just go into the my Disney experience website and you can manage the magic bands and deactivate or keep active certain magic bands. If they are offering I always get them if since they are free. Just be careful with how old of ones that you use. The bands have a sealed battery inside and after a certain period of time they will stop working.

...for long-range reading functions. All tap-to-use functions of the Bands will continue to work indefinitely, even after the battery has died.

-Rob

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

It is easy to switch around. A word of caution though. We have a few people in our MDE account and we had accumulated probably 10 bands a person and it started to cause issues with check in. So once we got home I went through all the bands and marked ones inactive that I didn't want to use again. Then I called Disney IT to have the bands permanently removed from the system.

We'll see if it helps or not.

The other thing to think about is that old bands lose the long range function of the battery after a few years. One of our sets only lasted 1.5 years. That only matters when trying to get pictures off of rides like Frozen or 7DMT where there is no tap point to save your picture.

Focusing on MB battery life, and MDE....

Yes, DO inactivate unused MBs. Sooner or later, SOME Computer System has to run through all the Active MB numbers to validate you. Could be a local system, could be the backend DB. I would suggest that no one needs more that the last 3 Active MBs.

Now - WDW IT stupidity....
1) Every MB has a minimum, average, and maximum PHYSICAL lifetime. WDW already knows these times.
2) Yet you have to CALL to remove a MB from the System? Why does the Central DataBase not conduct a monthly cleanup job to deactivate MBs that are PAST THEIR PHYSICAL LIFE?
3) See 2). What, you want to grow your working DataBase size infinitely? Gee, you better budget for a LOT of storage space - for no good reason.

This is the sort of stupidity that arises when the "DataBase Team" does not communicate with the "Hardware team".

correcaminos

Focusing on MB battery life, and MDE....

Yes, DO inactivate unused MBs. Sooner or later, SOME Computer System has to run through all the Active MB numbers to validate you. Could be a local system, could be the backend DB. I would suggest that no one needs more that the last 3 Active MBs.

Now - WDW IT stupidity....
1) Every MB has a minimum, average, and maximum PHYSICAL lifetime. WDW already knows these times.
2) Yet you have to CALL to remove a MB from the System? Why does the Central DataBase not conduct a monthly cleanup job to deactivate MBs that are PAST THEIR PHYSICAL LIFE?
3) See 2). What, you want to grow your working DataBase size infinitely? Gee, you better budget for a LOT of storage space - for no good reason.

This is the sort of stupidity that arises when the "DataBase Team" does not communicate with the "Hardware team".
Marking them as inactive still didn't seem to help. So to permanently remove, you do have to do one of two things:

1. Turn them into Disney (front desk at resort) and have them "recycled"
2. Call Disney's IT to have it removed. We cannot completely delete them ourselves.

I work in IT and I do agree sometimes Disney's isn't the brightest.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We took the new ones and did not activate them... used our old ones with no issues. (Sold the new ones)

If the new ones were sent to you because of a resort reservation, selling them doesn't work. They are linked to your account already and the user has no way to unlink them.

If they're new because you purchased them and they aren't linked yet, then, yes, you can give or sell them to others and it can be linked to their accounts.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Er well had been planning to use my tinkerbell magic band I love on a trip next February....by then though it will be a bit over two years old....it was only used one week. Is the age of the band itself a wear factor or usage?! I have tiny wrists too and the MB2's seem so much larger. How does one even know if their bands have expired function wise until they go to WDW?

correcaminos

Er well had been planning to use my tinkerbell magic band I love on a trip next February....by then though it will be a bit over two years old....it was only used one week. Is the age of the band itself a wear factor or usage?! I have tiny wrists too and the MB2's seem so much larger. How does one even know if their bands have expired function wise until they go to WDW?

The long distance battery may not work is all. You'd know if you got off a ride and the photos weren't automatically uploaded to your account. That's about it.

I have small wrists too and agree about the MB2. That's why I wear them on a key chain now. I'm half tempted to go back to using a card and just making sure one of us has a new band on for the pics.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yeah I saw those mickey and Minnie clip ones....wondering how secure those clips actually are, could attach to purse I always carry. The carabiner ones seem more functional but aren't very cute! I am liking the look of this one, adorable! I remember thinking the first magicbands were rather bulky at first. Wonder if those pull out cables one can attach to belt or shorts would work for my guys actually using a carabiner?!?! Function is all that matters to them. :happy:
400020256928.jpg

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
That begs the question....does anyone know someone who has replaced a puck yet? Are they for sale in the parks in case yours goes defunct?

dreamfinder

That begs the question....does anyone know someone who has replaced a puck yet? Are they for sale in the parks in case yours goes defunct?

The pucks are currently for sale only in the Magic Band 2.0. The puck is the essential part of the band, the band itself it just a method to secure/carry it. Replacing the puck is essentially swapping the band. They just realized that people paying big bucks for a design might want it to be usable later on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom