Using Debit Card or Cash for Charging with Magic Band

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Does Disney do an incremental hold on Debit Cards if you use them for charging privileges? I really only use my Debit Card (it has the visa logo) for credit charges but do not want to put that on file if they do an immense hold for charging privileges.

As an alternative, is it possible to put cash on my account at check in for charging privileges to the magic band? I doubt it but just figured I would ask.

reptar77

We always put a card on file and they haven't done an incremental hold. They do scan the card to make sure it is valid.
I have tried to put money on my account at checkin but they couldn't get it to work. I was trying to use rewards points not cash at the time. The system would not let them issue me a credit. They asked me to come back at the end of the day when there was a balance on the account. I went down after dinner and the rewards points posted fine.

JohnD

You should never ever use a debit card for this, you should use a credit card, in case any mishaps, mistakes happen you can speak with Disney & your credit card company

If you were to listen to Dave Ramsey, you should always use a debit card and never put yourself in debt. I get the primary argument. Using a debit card is equivalent to saving up money and paying in cash. However, putting that to the side, I would never do that. I could draw down my bank account to almost nothing or overdraw it! That is why I have a credit card tied to my credit union account. I charge everything to the Visa and worry about the damages later. Then I transfer from my other account(s) to the Visa.

Rob562

A recap of the facts:

-Yes, you can put a debit card down on your room charge account. They do not put any kind of a hold on it, but when you reach the max of your charge limit they will put it through to the card on file.

-You *can* open a room charge account using up-front cash, though not all CMs know how to do it. It may require a supervisor at the front desk. And since the Band would then reference the room charge account, I don't see why it would have any problem using that cash balance.

-A lesser-known tidbit is that the front desk can *lower* the max charge amount from the default amount (500/1000/1500 depending on the resort level) to whatever you want. They just can't increase it higher than the default. So if you want to limit yourself to a maximum of $300, you can do that. (Again, this is something that not all CM's may know how to do)

-Rob

jlsHouston

No they never have with me whether I used my debit card or my credit card. They do something to set credit and for a deluxe I think it is $ 1500, and I think when we stayed at a moderate is was $ 500, but there was no hold on either of my cards for my entire stay.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
No they never have with me whether I used my debit card or my credit card. They do something to set credit and for a deluxe I think it is $ 1500, and I think when we stayed at a moderate is was $ 500, but there was no hold on either of my cards for my entire stay.
Yes. They do limit the amount that can be charged. But, they don't put a hold on the card.

For Deluxe (as I recall) it was $1500. $1000 for a moderate (this I am positive of) and $500 for a value...but I could be off.

To "reset" your credit cap, you need to visit or call the front desk and ask them to clear the room charges. They will do this, and in my experience, your KTTW / Magicband will pretty much immediately reflect the new balance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom