Using a fire stick in the hotels?

Kramerica

Original Poster
So this last holiday season I picked up a few amazon fire sticks while they were on sale for 25 bucks. Loaded Kodi on a couple of them. But I have a spare just sitting around and it had me thinking. It would be wonderful for traveling. For those that are unfamiliar, the Fire Stick is a piece of hardware that’s roughly the size of a usb stick that plugs right into a TVs HDMI port and allows you to stream things like Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, and countless other apps so long as you have a WiFi connection.

Has anyone attempted using one of these in the Disney hotels? If so, how did it work? Was the WiFi reliable enough? Did the resort block the connection? It would be awfully nice to be able to wind down after a day at the parks with a nice Netflix binge.

slappy magoo

My memory is crap but I vaguely remember bringing a fire stick and not being able to get it to work, whereas the chromecast did...or is it vice versa? Crap.

Brian

Am I the only one who read the thread title and immediately pictured this?

TESV_Torch.png

Those aren't allowed in the hotels.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So a Roku stick will work also? Ummm, I can finally watch HBO at Disney. And not on my phone.

slappy magoo

Off topic but I used to find my fire stick incredibly frustrating and didn't use it often because so much of my digital video library was ultraviolet based. I was able to access it for a while through Flixster but then they dropped support for amazon products. So Roku and Chromecast was a better fit. Now that "Movies Anywhere" has more titles crossing different platforms, I'll have to give it another shot.

But also most of my music library is on google play. So...I can't have any heroes is what I'm saying.

lazyboy97o

I cannot remember if Disney uses landing pages with their hotel Wi-Fi. You may want to download a web browser just in case.

bigrigross

We take our spare Fire TV. We dont have the stick and it works great. Dont expect HD content without some buffering, but its better than whats on TV. All Fire TVs should be able to install firefox on them, especially after that youtube fiasco that is going on with google right now. Just make sure its installed before leaving and you will be golden.

piglet1

Possibly stupid questions, but can you attach a laptop with an HDMI cord and watch stuff off the laptop (such as Hulu on line)? And where do you plug in the HDMI? Last time I was at OKW, there was a box next to the TV that had an HDMI port, but if I plugged in the cord, nothing happened. Do I have to find one at the back of the TV, or is there a trick to it? Ended out watching Hulu on the laptop

Thanks!

(and yes, I pictured a "firestick" and not a TV gadget!)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Possibly stupid questions, but can you attach a laptop with an HDMI cord and watch stuff off the laptop (such as Hulu on line)? And where do you plug in the HDMI? Last time I was at OKW, there was a box next to the TV that had an HDMI port, but if I plugged in the cord, nothing happened. Do I have to find one at the back of the TV, or is there a trick to it? Ended out watching Hulu on the laptop

Thanks!

(and yes, I pictured a "firestick" and not a TV gadget!)

The TVs should have HDMI ports in the back. The new Samsung Smart TVs may have the one port box - it plugs into the TV and you plug all the HDMI, usb, digital optical into it.

I can't remember if the Samsung Smart TVs have the Samsung or DirectTV remote.

Nsaudra

We bought a dvd player last year and they had there ports disabled, i think it depends on the hotel.
Ask the hotel directly.... but its not like it takes a lot of room up in your bag

piglet1

We bought a dvd player last year and they had there ports disabled, i think it depends on the hotel.
Ask the hotel directly.... but its not like it takes a lot of room up in your bag

We were wondering if the ports had been disabled, and wondered if they would re-enable them on request. Always bring the laptop anyway, so I may ask next trip

slappy magoo

Possibly stupid questions, but can you attach a laptop with an HDMI cord and watch stuff off the laptop (such as Hulu on line)? And where do you plug in the HDMI?

We did this in Hilton Head, with a tablet that had an microHDMI output. But with the new TVs onsite, I don't know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom