USFL 2023 Season Discussion Thread

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

The United States Football League is coming back.

The first incarnation of the USFL failed after three seasons when the league tried to move games to the fall and compete with the NFL in 1986, but plans to relaunch the league were announced on Thursday. Spring League founder and CEO Brian Woods has partnered with FOX Sports to bring the league back as an eight-team operation that will play in spring 2022.

“I’m extremely passionate about football and the opportunity to work with FOX Sports and to bring back the USFL in 2022 was an endeavor worth pursuing,” Woods said in a statement. “We look forward to providing players a new opportunity to compete in a professional football league and giving fans everywhere the best football viewing product possible during what is typically a period devoid of professional football.”

In addition to broadcasting games, FOX also owns a minority equity stake in the league.

Information on where teams will play and what they will be called has not been announced, although the release announcing the league’s return mentions that the new entity “retains rights to key original team names” from the original league. It does not specify which names, so we’ll have to wait to see if the Denver Gold, Tampa Bay Bandits or Memphis Showboats live to play another day.

Dad 2 M & M

The United States Football League is coming back.

The first incarnation of the USFL failed after three seasons when the league tried to move games to the fall and compete with the NFL in 1986, but plans to relaunch the league were announced on Thursday. Spring League founder and CEO Brian Woods has partnered with FOX Sports to bring the league back as an eight-team operation that will play in spring 2022.

“I’m extremely passionate about football and the opportunity to work with FOX Sports and to bring back the USFL in 2022 was an endeavor worth pursuing,” Woods said in a statement. “We look forward to providing players a new opportunity to compete in a professional football league and giving fans everywhere the best football viewing product possible during what is typically a period devoid of professional football.”

In addition to broadcasting games, FOX also owns a minority equity stake in the league.

Information on where teams will play and what they will be called has not been announced, although the release announcing the league’s return mentions that the new entity “retains rights to key original team names” from the original league. It does not specify which names, so we’ll have to wait to see if the Denver Gold, Tampa Bay Bandits or Memphis Showboats live to play another day.
Back in the day.....not many around here remember the league at the players that played there...

Just a few:

Jim Kelly
Steve Young - he actually left the Bucs to go here, leading the way for San Fran to trade a 3rd Round puck for his rights
Bobby Herbert

And....many don't recall the leading rusher was Kelvin Bryant, not Herschal Walker ...

Anywho, as I remember the teams were:

Philadelphia Stars....played in every championship losing the 1st one to Michigan with Bobby Herbert at QB. 3rd season moved to Baltimore
Michigan Panthers
LA Express
Chicago Blitz
Houston Gamblers
Orlando Renegades
New Orleans Breakers...maybe....they were the team that signed Marcus Dupree....he blew ot his knee and was never the same
New Jersey Generals....had a well known owner who signed Herschel Walker

Just off the top of my head......few other teams in Tampa, Jacksonville, Arizona, etc.....

The USFL could REPEAT it's influence as there will be many HUGE contracts prying stars from the NFL.....

Lilofan

Back in the day.....not many around here remember the league at the players that played there...

Just a few:

Jim Kelly
Steve Young - he actually left the Bucs to go here, leading the way for San Fran to trade a 3rd Round puck for his rights
Bobby Herbert

And....many don't recall the leading rusher was Kelvin Bryant, not Herschal Walker ...

Philadelphia Stars....played in every championship losing the 1st one to Michigan with Bobby Herbert at QB. 3rd season moved to Baltimore
Michigan Panthers
LA Express
Chicago Blitz
Houston Gamblers
Orlando Renegades
New Orleans Breakers...maybe....they were the team that signed Marcus Dupree....he blew ot his knee and was never the same

Just off the top of my head......few other teams in Tampa, Jacksonville, Arizona, etc.....

The USFL could REPEAT it's influence as there will be many HUGE contracts prying stars from the NFL.....
Saw the NJ Generals at Giants Stadium in summer 1985 . It was 100 degrees on game day in the afternoon. And back in the day we were allowed to bring coolers of beverages into the stadium. Security didn't care what was in the coolers. It was good times. We drank throughout the whole game. Some threw ice cubes at the players.

Dad 2 M & M

Saw the NJ Generals at Giants Stadium in summer 1985 . It was 100 degrees on game day in the afternoon. And back in the day we were allowed to bring coolers of beverages into the stadium. Security didn't care what was in the coolers. It was good times. We drank throughout the whole game. Some threw ice cubes at the players.
Took in a few games in Jacksonville watching the Bulls.......saw the same fans down there....EVERY, 100%, EVERY Game we attended they had EVERYONE move to the 50 Yard Line so it appeared to have more peeps attending

Last edited:

Lilofan

Took in a few games in Jacksonville watching the Bulls.......saw the same fans down there....EVERY, 100%, EVERY Game we attended they had EVERYONE move to the 50 Yard Line so it appeared to have more peeps attending
Wow, meeting of the minds! Stadium staff told us to crowd behind the visitor bench lower level! Cameras were on us all the time, by the time the third quarter rolled around ice cubes were thrown at the visiting team , off the cuff words , and one drunk fan poured his full cooler of ice after he and his buddies drank all their beers they brought from home on the unsuspecting player assistant on the field below. I think that well known owner of the Generals always in a coat and tie was seen in his luxury staduim AC suite, wouldn't mingle with the common folks in the seating area.

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

Just a few:

Jim Kelly
Bobby Herbert

Michigan Panthers
LA Express
Chicago Blitz
Houston Gamblers
Orlando Renegades

I doubt this league would convince todays current crop of stars to leave their NFL team to go play in an upstart league that may or may not last. I am excited to watch it though cause well, football is football.

Dad 2 M & M

I doubt this league would convince todays current crop of stars to leave their NFL team to go play in an upstart league that may or may not last. I am excited to watch it though cause well, football is football.
I'd bet a few will defect.....just look at all the teams in cap purgatory now. Some teams might encourage players to bolt,....

Lilofan

The flamboyant BS owner of the NJ Generals sealed the fate of doom of the USFL in the mid 1980s when he spearheaded a campaign to move the whole season to the fall to compete with the NFL. Another of his long list of failures. USFL tried playing in the summer , now after 35 years they are looking to be a spring league. The USFL in the 1980s was a strange league. Herschel and Flutie were being paid big bucks to play in the league.

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

The flamboyant BS owner of the NJ Generals sealed the fate of doom of the USFL in the mid 1980s when he spearheaded a campaign to move the whole season to the fall to compete with the NFL. Another of his long list of failures. USFL tried playing in the summer , now after 35 years they are looking to be a spring league. The USFL in the 1980s was a strange league. Herschel and Flutie were being paid big bucks to play in the league.
Check out the Chicago Blitz if you want to see the bloated contracts....that was the biggest example .....even overpaid the aging coach

Dad 2 M & M

The XFL had a contract with ESPN/Fox and the AAF had a contract with CBS.
Got it

Admittedly I hadn’t paid much attention to the XFL as I don’t get the Overlord’s other “sport” at all, so I saw it as a gimmick.

I did watch the other JUST TO SEE Spurrier, if I’m getting the leagues correct

USFL was different to me as I was nearing completion of college and we’d take trips to Birmingham as well as Jacksonville to check it out. At least it was real football with real players. The rosters did have front line talent sprinkled with marginal NFL prospects as well as the aging stars of yesteryears.....

It still holds a place in my heart....

It seemed real enough back then, but maybe it was just another minor wannabe league....

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Got it

Admittedly I hadn’t paid much attention to the XFL as I don’t get the Overlord’s other “sport” at all, so I saw it as a gimmick.

I did watch the other JUST TO SEE Spurrier, if I’m getting the leagues correct

USFL was different to me as I was nearing completion of college and we’d take trips to Birmingham as well as Jacksonville to check it out. At least it was real football with real players. The rosters did have front line talent sprinkled with marginal NFL prospects as well as the aging stars of yesteryears.....

It still holds a place in my heart....

It seemed real enough back then, but maybe it was just another minor wannabe league....

Yeah Spurrier coached the Orlando team in the AAF. The last version of the XFL was actually pretty good.

Lilofan

Keep the Trump bashing and anything political out of the sports forum, thanks.
As a USFL owner he was a joke and that is why the league folded because he wanted to take on the NFL head on. A political bash? Not even close. For a laugh he tried to buy the Indians and Padres in the 1980s. Any figurehead is open game , you should know in the forums.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Makes me think that we shouldn't trust that owner to run anything in the future. Oops...

Reggie White also started his career in the USFL. Seems that he would have easily been the NFL's all-time sack leader had he not played in the USFL first, since he trails Bruce Smith's record by only 2 sacks.

Lilofan

Makes me think that we shouldn't trust that owner to run anything in the future. Oops...

Reggie White also started his career in the USFL. Seems that he would have easily been the NFL's all-time sack leader had he not played in the USFL first, since he trails Bruce Smith's record by only 2 sacks.
I was impressed with Herschel Walker when I saw him play. He still looks like he can still play. He said in his playing days at UGA, he did not really lift weights but did hundreds of pull ups, push up and sit ups. He was a freak of nature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom