US DoJ: Movie Studios (Disney) Can Now Own A Theatre Chain

seascape

RIP Paramount Decision
This is horrible. If this did happen Disney, Comcast and AT&T will buy all the theaters and own the market. It cant be allowed. We need independent theaters and movie producers.

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
This is horrible. If this did happen Disney, Comcast and AT&T will buy all the theaters and own the market. It cant be allowed. We need independent theaters and movie producers.
I think the issue is more in where profits in the theatrical space will be generated going forward. So much of Disney’s product benefits from the more premium theatrical experiences (Dolby, IMAX, PLF) that they could just open 2-4 screen theaters in cities and wealthy suburbs and destroy the AMCs, Regals, and Cinemarks.

seascape

I think the issue is more in where profits in the theatrical space will be generated going forward. So much of Disney’s product benefits from the more premium theatrical experiences (Dolby, IMAX, PLF) that they could just open 2-4 screen theaters in cities and wealthy suburbs and destroy the AMCs, Regals, and Cinemarks.
Disney needs more than 2 to 4 screens in a city or suburb. The reason Endgame became the number 1 movie was the number of screens. They had 5 or 6 theaters at one of the AMC's is my area and Captain Marvel had one too. If they could, I could see them buying AMC. The subscription plane theater owners are implementing are wonderful and with Disney's various divisions releasing over 20 movies a year gives them an average of 2 a month. They could fill most AMC theaters with new releases and for the very large ones show classics. However, as I said. I am completely against allowing this because of the unfair power it would give Disney, Comcast and AT&T.

lazyboy97o

Disney already could have opened or bought theaters. The divestiture of theaters was an easy means to an end, not the end itself. The majority of Paramount is owned by a theater chain.

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
Disney already could have opened or bought theaters. The divestiture of theaters was an easy means to an end, not the end itself. The majority of Paramount is owned by a theater chain.
There’s a difference between a studio controlling all three phases of the industry, production, distribution and exhibition, than an investor, in this case National Amusements, holding a stake in a company that only controls theatrical production and distribution. Those consent decrees make it so NA can’t, and hasn’t, done what could be done pre-Paramount with block booking and exclusivity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom