US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

I don’t think we’ll see all movies go to streaming only but I definitely think that with Covid and everything even after it’s all gone that there will be less and less movies and shorter theatrical windows

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Darn you stupid COVID-19, you're ruining our lives as no more 90 day theatrical window, now as only 45 day theatrical window so they will see a movie at home after 45 theatrical window is done. Maybe they can change back to 90 day theatrical window soon as the pandemic will be over, as they will slowly back to normal for movie theaters.

tcool123

Darn you stupid COVID-19, you're ruining our lives as no more 90 day theatrical window, now as only 45 day theatrical window so they will see a movie at home after 45 theatrical window is done. Maybe they can change back to 90 day theatrical window soon as the pandemic will be over, as they will slowly back to normal for movie theaters.
There’s no going back to the old theatrical window, the world has changed too much in terms of how we watch media. This change would have happened eventually it was just expedited now. The new window doesn’t seem to matter that much anyways as the few box office hits during the pandemic have all been available for free or at a cost on release date

Wendy Pleakley

Not sure how a shorter theatrical window is ruining lives, other than potentially reducing movie theater revenue.

Many, if not most, people see a handful of movies in the theater. I watch the majority at home. This is good news. It won't really impact my habits. People will still see some of the bigger films in the theater.

Maybe theaters will finally be forced to address why people wait to watch movies at home. It's a lot of money and most theaters don't care about removing the people who are noisy or on their cell phones. The big screen is a better experience under the right conditions, but there's a reason most people are happy to watch from their own couch.

Jedijax719

45 is too short. It should be 60 days. Endgame was still at $4 million in its 7th weekend. Not saying that any of the upcoming movies will be as big as Endgame, 2 months seems reasonable.

Guardians of the Galaxy made $8 million in its 7th weekend. Doctor Strange made $2 million. They should figure the average amount of weeks it takes for most movies to at least drop below a million (domestically). I'd like to know how they came upon 45 days as their number.

doctornick

Not sure how a shorter theatrical window is ruining lives, other than potentially reducing movie theater revenue.

Many, if not most, people see a handful of movies in the theater. I watch the majority at home. This is good news. It won't really impact my habits. People will still see some of the bigger films in the theater.

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand why I as an individual should care about shorter theatrical windows. If I want to see a move in a theater, I'll find the time in the first month. honestly, my main reason to seeing movies in the theater is to avoid spoilers and that won't change.

Theatrical windows have been getting shorter over time anyway and this change seems inevitable. People who were going to wait for home watching were doing it anyway.

Also, it's not like a movie couldn't be kept in theaters longer than 45 days if it is doing well. Oscar bait movies (for example) surely will as they tend to have longer windows beyond award season.

mf1972

we went back to our local theater yesterday after not going to see a movie for 18 months. i’ll admit it was a bit weird at 1st, but it was nice to be back. we watched quiet place 2. just as good as the 1st one.

brodie999

Original Poster

brodie999

Original Poster

brodie999

Original Poster

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I remember when everyone and their mother said the movie theater would die off because of COVID. AMC and other chains would never re-open. Now they're open and people are going. Funny how that works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom