US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

5thGenTexan

We went to a Cinemark yesterday for the first time since March 2020. Went to see WW84. (We all thought it was good, I was surprised my 10 and 12 year old liked it a lot)

We were there and 7 or 8 others spread out.

Butter dispensers shut down, no free refills. They have a short video after the previews and before the movie about cleaning. Shows a guy with a backpack sprayer going over all the seats. Wiping everything else down well.

There were 3 or 4 theaters I guess that you rent the whole thing for a group. Heard some of the kids that work there talking to one another.... Told one of the cleaning guys, you are gonna have fun in that one, 100 kids just came out. I am not sure what the rent a theater price is.

doctornick

There were 3 or 4 theaters I guess that you rent the whole thing for a group. Heard some of the kids that work there talking to one another.... Told one of the cleaning guys, you are gonna have fun in that one, 100 kids just came out. I am not sure what the rent a theater price is.

At one near us it is $100 to rent a theater for an old movie, $150 for a new release. They use their smaller theaters for it as you'd expect. We just had a birthday party for my kid there with about 10 friends. Probably one of the cheapest parties we ever did.

5thGenTexan

At one near us it is $100 to rent a theater for an old movie, $150 for a new release. They use their smaller theaters for it as you'd expect. We just had a birthday party for my kid there with about 10 friends. Probably one of the cheapest parties we ever did.

Just the movie or did they include any popcorn?

5thGenTexan

1612754095569.png

Darkprime

Some good news! And we're only in February. I wonder what sort of numbers we could be seeing around April or May. Cases might be low enough by then for movie theaters to finally reopen.

brodie999

Original Poster
Some good news! And we're only in February. I wonder what sort of numbers we could be seeing around April or May. Cases might be low enough by then for movie theaters to finally reopen.

This is amazing!! Maybe if the numbers go down to 5,000 by next month, they could definitely reopen cinemas much sooner than we thought.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is amazing!! Maybe if the numbers go down to 5,000 by next month, they could definitely reopen cinemas much sooner than we thought.
Sorry but the US has not been down to 5,000 cases since the beginning of the Pandemic in March 2020. There is no way the US will be close to 5000 by next month, no matter how much we wish it.

I'm guessing you really meant 50,000 cases, not 5,000.

The 7-day average is still above 100,000. I my educated guess is that the US won't be below 50,000 cases until at least April or May at the earliest.

brodie999

Original Poster
Sorry but the US has not been down to 5,000 cases since the beginning of the Pandemic in March 2020. There is no way the US will be close to 5000 by next month, no matter how much we wish it.

The 7-day average is still above 100,000. I my educated guess is that the US won't be below 50,000 cases until at least April or May at the earliest.
Sorry. I can't control my optimism sometimes. Well, my estimates are it'll be down to 50,000 cases by next month, 30,000 cases by April and 10,000 cases by May. That sounds like an accurate timeline to you now?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sorry. I can't control my optimism sometimes. Well, my estimates are it'll be down to 50,000 cases by next month, 30,000 cases by April and 10,000 cases by May. That sounds like an accurate timeline to you now?
I can appreciate your optimism, but we also need to be realistic. I doubt based on the current numbers that the US will be down below 50,000 cases by next month.

brodie999

Original Poster
I can appreciate your optimism, but we also need to be realistic. I doubt based on the current numbers that the US will be down below 50,000 cases by next month.
I understand. We don't know what's gonna happen. You're right, we need to be realistic for now. Even though you didn't expect the number of cases to go down to 100,000 this month, you're still realistic. I'll try to be more realistic from now on.

Darkprime

The current prediction by experts seems to be 25k cases a day by April. 25k cases a day could in theory be enough to reopen cinemas with masks and social distancing still in place until late summer. We could see 5k cases a day by August or September by then some states could possibly start lifting some social distancing restrictions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The current prediction by experts seems to be 25k cases a day by April. 25k cases a day could in theory be enough to reopen cinemas with masks and social distancing still in place until late summer by then some states could possibly start lifting some social distancing restrictions.
I'm not sure where you're getting those predictions from, but they aren't taking into account the new variants that are more contagious.

Current projections I've seen when including the new variants is around 50k by June.

Wendy Pleakley

Even if some theaters open at reduced capacity in the coming months, there still won't be a lot of content. For the big movies we're waiting on, like Bond and Black Widow, I imagine studios will wait for close to full capacity to release those films, lest they only do Tenet like numbers.

Darkprime

I'm not sure where you're getting those predictions from, but they aren't taking into account the new variants that are more contagious.

Current projections I've seen when including the new variants is around 50k by June.

People need to stop overreacting to every new variant. Most viruses mutate we know this. We are very lucky in we already have two vaccines Pfizer and Moderna that are effective against the new variants. J&J and the Oxford vaccine less so. There will be booster shots that likely get fast tracked don't panick man. I feel like you probably read the COVID reddit sub too often lol. I stopped going there and it did wonders for my mental health.

brodie999

Original Poster
People need to stop overreacting to every new variant. Most viruses mutate we know this. We are very lucky in we already have two vaccines Pfizer and Moderna that are effective against the new variants. J&J and the Oxford vaccine less so. There will be booster shots that likely get fast tracked don't panick man. I feel like you probably read the COVID reddit sub too often lol. I stopped going there and it did wonders for my mental health.
I don't believe in the mutated variants, but I also don't panic about stuff like this. I just hope things will be back to normal soon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Who's overreacting? We're talking about numbers here.

When talking about infection case predictions you cannot discount new variants. They have to be included otherwise you don't get a realistic view of potential infection rates.

So the 25k by April prediction you claim I can tell you doesn't include the new more contagious variants.

Even the CDCs own models have a wide range, but do include the new variants in there.

So no one is overreacting here, we're talking just pure data.

brodie999

Original Poster
What do you mean you don't believe in the mutated variants?

You mean you don't think they exist?
I mean, people are allowed to have their own opinions on the variants, but a lot of my friends and family and me don't believe in that kind of stuff. We just focus on the good stuff. And one day you'll learn how to do too.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I mean, people are allowed to have their own opinions on the variants, but a lot of my friends and family and me don't believe in that kind of stuff. We just focus on the good stuff. And one day you'll learn how to do too.
Well I'll just say they do exist, and is 100% proven. So I'll just leave it at that.

As far as me focusing on the good stuff, thank you I do. But I'm also informed and keep up-to-date on a wide variety of topics. Just because I'm knowledgeable about something doesn't mean "I don't focus on the good stuff".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom