US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

Archie123

I wish you were right but AMC and Regal are by far the biggest theater chains and Disney, Universal and Warner Brothers need both of them to survive.

Sorry but the studios would still be fine. Someone will come in and eventually buy any theaters that go under and the studios would also learn to pivot and adapt and change how their business model works.

Slpy3270

Sorry but the studios would still be fine. Someone will come in and eventually buy any theaters that go under and the studios would also learn to pivot and adapt and change how their business model works.
Who, exactly, would buy the theaters?

Private equity? They'd rather liquidate the theaters to pad their coffers. To most investors, they're a nuisance to Hollywood rather than a critical part of their infrastructure.

Tech companies? Nada, for obvious reasons.

Studios? Nope, no longer cost effective to them. This isn't the 1930s and 40s anymore.

Who is left?

Ldno

Meh, to be honest, Disney can’t afford to bully theaters anymore (demanding increased ticket pricing, more Venues to show their shows) Streaming is ALSO at a chokepoint. There’s no new content, itunes movie Tuesdays (the day apple releases new movies on their server) is not a thing anymore, all i see is discounts on movie bundles, weird movie combos Bundles, massively discounted movies, but shows, movies, there’s nothing that screams insta buy. My only form of entertainment is new youtube channel content, it’s that bad.

They can make money off of streaming, universal clearly made an insane amount of money with Trolls world tour and they loved it since they had to pay no theater fees, but Iddk, I’m just bored like everyone that I look forward to going to walmart, target, malls just to window shop and see what’s new.

At the end of the day, the way I see it, if theaters shut down, lay off their employees, those employees will move on to possibly bigger and better jobs since they might be scared of not getting called back. .

Last edited by a moderator:

Archie123

Dune is the next movie to be delayed and will now be released in 2021. Again it seems obvious that no new big movie will be coming out in 2020.

5thGenTexan

I saw it, it was good, it’s more emotional on the big screen!

but here’s the first ramification of pushing back No Time to Die:

It will be VOD or bust, welcome our VOD overlords at this point.

i saw it the first time it was in theaters. 6 or 7 years old. I also remember it was during the Hoth scene with Imperial Walkers that I had to leave the theater for a bathroom break. :)

Ldno

i saw it the first time it was in theaters. 6 or 7 years old. I also remember it was during the Hoth scene with Imperial Walkers that I had to leave the theater for a bathroom break. :)
To be honest I have seen this movie plenty of times on the small screen, but seeing it on the big screen made me realize how many details, sound effects and subtle music I have completely missed!! it was like rewatching a new movie!

Fox&Hound

I don't see movie theaters bouncing back from this. I really don't. I may be wrong but I think streaming is the future, sadly....

Archie123

I don't see movie theaters bouncing back from this. I really don't. I may be wrong but I think streaming is the future, sadly....

Oh the theater industry is hurting right now and it won't be getting any better any time soon but I think that when big blockbuster event movies are released next year the theaters will slowly come back. Some might not make it or some might be bought out but they will survive. If they go to streaming then the movie studios will lose a lot of money so they will just wait until some sense of normalcy returns.

Ldno

Oh the theater industry is hurting right now and it won't be getting any better any time soon but I think that when big blockbuster event movies are released next year the theaters will slowly come back. Some might not make it or some might be bought out but they will survive. If they go to streaming then the movie studios will lose a lot of money so they will just wait until some sense of normalcy returns.
these sentiments greatly echo this

mf1972

it would be nice to go see a movie on the big screen again when all is said & done. i don’t think we’ve gone since star wars last december. although we miss going, we’d rather wait till things die down.

Darkprime

You know it just occurred to me that its been 10 months since I last sat in a movie theater to watch The Rise of Skywalker. And it will probably be another 6 months before I'm comfortable sitting in one again to watch No Time To Die (hopefully) if it doesn't get delayed again. This year sucks so bad.

Ldno

You know it just occurred to me that its been 10 months since I last sat in a movie theater to watch The Rise of Skywalker. And it will probably be another 6 months before I'm comfortable sitting in one again to watch No Time To Die (hopefully) if it doesn't get delayed again. This year sucks so bad.
I saw Empire Strikes back 2 weekends ago, some theater chains are open, but showing older movies, for me that movie was released way before my time so seeing it on the big screen was a huge plus!!! We won’t get new movies for sure for a long time, but doesn’t mean you can’t go, check your local listings and support your local movie theater chain.

Despite all the doom and gloom, you are social distanced from everyone, meaning it feels like you have the whole entire theater to yourself!!!! Not even kidding, there must had been 8 people there and not once did I see anybody except for seating and leaving. It’s rare times but unique times for sure.

Even when I saw Tenet it was completely different to say the least Give it a try!

brodie999

Original Poster
Even 2021 movies are probably going to start moving soon. Don't be surprised if studios start booking 2022 release dates.

Calm down, guys. The film industry can't keep delaying movies forever. People want to watch them sooner. And I'm one of them. I'm sure all these 2020 and 2021 movies will keep their release dates.

Archie123

brodie999

Original Poster
No big movies will be released early. The failure of Tenet in the US has ensured that. I would expect no highly anticipated movies to open in 2020. I truly hope I’m wrong but after No Time to Die got moved to 2021 and Regal closing all its theaters I’d bet I’m right.
But you know, Monster Hunter was moved to 2021 at first too, but then it was moved back to Christmas this year. That was lucky. That gives me hope for the world

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom