US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

erasure fan1

Since you and I have no clue what will happen I guess time will tell if Disney waits for it to be released in the studio or puts it on D+.
Very true. Disney will decide what strategy makes the most sense overall. Personally I don't see what they gain by continually pushing back Widow and having to re-adjust the rest of the marvel slate as well as their other big studio releases.

Ldno

Doesn't look like Black Widow is making it's newest release date. Time will tell if the article is accurate but I would guess that based on the crappy return for Tenet it will be.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/black-widow-release-date-delay-soul-disney-plus-1234769426/
Yeah, experts are saying Tenet was a risky failed experiment after last weekend and now the studios are panicking, Wonder Woman 84 is delayed until Xmas and like you stated Black Widow. VOD or VOD + theatrical is the only way forward until they get a grip of COVID, but still James Bond No time to Die is still set in to debut late November so we will see... There’s no momentum in hollywood to draw back crowds and even then they are worried because they won’t be making that much money.

Archie123

Yeah, experts are saying Tenet was a risky failed experiment after last weekend and now the studios are panicking, Wonder Woman 84 is delayed until Xmas and like you stated Black Widow. VOD or VOD + theatrical is the only way forward until they get a grip of COVID, but still James Bond No time to Die is still set in to debut late November so we will see... There’s no momentum in hollywood to draw back crowds and even then they are worried because they won’t be making that much money.

Depending on where we are with COVID I would guess that Bond will be moved as well.

Darkprime

Black Widow being delayed is probably a good thing. it will be nice knowing there's a marvel movie waiting for us at the end of this dark tunnel.

erasure fan1

Black Widow being delayed is probably a good thing. it will be nice knowing there's a marvel movie waiting for us at the end of this dark tunnel.
Well, realistically even if widow was released on VoD, we still would have had the eternals to look forward to. And I'm more excited for that one anyway so I'm a bit disappointed we have to wait a lot longer now.

brodie999

Original Poster
Don't worry, guys. Cinemas will survive with or without big movies this year. A few of my optimistic friends told me that. But the struggle will be there for a while, but they'll come back.

Ldno

I was just looking at our closest Cinemark. I might want to go see Empire Strikes Back.
I saw it, it was good, it’s more emotional on the big screen!

but here’s the first ramification of pushing back No Time to Die:

It will be VOD or bust, welcome our VOD overlords at this point.

Slpy3270

If Disney really cares about going back to normal they and Hollywood need to collectively bailout the theaters. Otherwise Disney's entire business model collapses, Kevin Feige quits knowing the MCU will be "Batman & Robin"-ified, and it will be the 70s all over again for them.

Archie123

No big surprise but all Regal Theaters will most likely be closing all locations indefinitely in the US and the UK since the new James Bond movie was moved to 2021. They know that no new movies will probably be released this year and they are hemorrhaging money. I read that AMC is also looking to do the same.

Last edited:

Slpy3270

No big surprise but all Regal Theaters will be closing indefinitely in the US and the UK since the new James Bond movie was moved to 2021. They know that no new movies will probably be released this year and they are hemorrhaging money. I read that AMC is also looking to do the same.

I feel like this could backfire on the studios spectacularly if the theaters go bankrupt.

If they care about Hollywood's future they should subsidize the cinemas themselves, 'cause a Congress run by people who want to shove the neo-Nazi "masterpiece" The Passion of Christ down our throats won't do it.

Magenta Panther

I feel like this could backfire on the studios spectacularly if the theaters go bankrupt.

If they care about Hollywood's future they should subsidize the cinemas themselves, 'cause a Congress run by people who want to shove the neo-Nazi "masterpiece" The Passion of Christ down our throats won't do it.

Somebody FORCED you to watch that? BTW, you might want to take such comments to the Political Forum, thanks.

For my part, I think the studios should start building their own cinemas, like they did before they were stopped by anti-trust legislation. As I understand it, that legislation was recently slapped down, and IMO that's great. Because, prior to the anti-trust stuff, studios competed with each other in part by building BEAUTIFUL movie theaters, like the El Capitan and Grauman's Chinese Theater. How nice it would be if theaters once again became part of the movie-going experience, with lush and imaginative architecture and effects. I remember reading that one old movie theater used to project a rainbow after a movie ended, and that another theater had twinkling "stars" embedded in its ceiling. This pandemic could actually be a boon and a reason for movie studios to work harder to cajole people to go out and spend ridiculous amounts of money for movie tickets and food. As it is, the last time I went to see a film in a theater was the Wizard of Oz 3D re-release (and the 3D was stunning, BTW) and I sat in a boring boxy theater with lousy sound and uncomfortable seating. Right now I just stay at home watching movies via streaming on my great TV with excellent speakers - which have better sound than any movie theater I've ever attended.

So it's up to Hollywood now to seize the moment. As a taxpayer, I have no interest in bailing them out. Especially since AMC - which name stands for American Multi-Cinema, ironically - is owned by China. Let China, which caused all this mess, prop up its theaters with its ill-gotten gains. It would totally serve it right.

Wendy Pleakley

For my part, I think the studios should start building their own cinemas, like they did before they were stopped by anti-trust legislation.

This is a probable outcome.

I don't know if the results will be what you hope for though. Studios aren't necessarily going to be interested in providing beautiful facilities. They want to maximize revenue, nothing more. Those special theaters you mentioned aren't likely to represent a standard, they're used for special occasions.

The other downside is the theater going experience may be limited to big budget blockbusters. When Disney owns multiplexes, it will be Marvel movies and live action remakes. Independent films and smaller productions won't be seen as theaters as often, and that would be a shame.

Archie123

The studios will be fine even if a few theater chains close. There is no reason for them to subsidize anyone.

seascape

The studios will be fine even if a few theater chains close. There is no reason for them to subsidize anyone.
I wish you were right but AMC and Regal are by far the biggest theater chains and Disney, Universal and Warner Brothers need both of them to survive.

erasure fan1

I wish you were right but AMC and Regal are by far the biggest theater chains and Disney, Universal and Warner Brothers need both of them to survive.
I have no doubts the studios do fine if AMC or Regal or any others go under. If all the theaters went under, Disney especially, would do fantastic. People are still holding out that theaters will eventually open back up and they can get back to something more normal. If they have no choice, they will pay 25 or 30 bucks to watch a star wars, avengers/mcu movie or a lot of the tentpole movies. Smaller movies can either go straight to D+ or first run on Vod for a much smaller price. People aren't just going to go, oh well, no more theaters, I guess we won't watch movies anymore. People just aren't used to movies releasing this way yet. Is it my preferred way to see a movie? No. But you can bet I would drop 25 or 30 to see Guardians 3 or Thor 4.... as thats about what I would pay anyway to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom