US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

brodie999

Original Poster
Just 45 minutes ago, I read about US cinemas reopening in 200 places after months of the shutdowns from the Coronavirus. While this may not be the time for reopening, more and more people will start to realise that it's not a bad thing by following the preventive measures. Fingers crossed that things will be sorted out and cinemas will remain re-opened. https://comicbook.com/movies/news/m...th-200-locations-after-coronavirus-shutdowns/

Tony Perkis

Just 45 minutes ago, I read about US cinemas reopening in 200 places after months of the shutdowns from the Coronavirus. While this may not be the time for reopening, more and more people will start to realise that it's not a bad thing by following the preventive measures. Fingers crossed that things will be sorted out and cinemas will remain re-opened. https://comicbook.com/movies/news/m...th-200-locations-after-coronavirus-shutdowns/
We’re not going to see any meaningful reopenings until Christopher Nolan’s Tenet is released, assuming its July premiere holds.

Last edited:

brodie999

Original Poster
We’re not going to see any meaningful reopenings until Christopher Nolan’s Tenet is released, assuming it’s July premiere holds.
I think you're right. Unless something changes in the next few weeks, depending on the success of the preventive restrictions, that is. Reopening won't happen until Christopher Nolan's Tenet.

Last edited:

Darkprime

Tenet is still getting delayed imo. Which means Mulan and WW1984 will be delayed as well. There's no way New York and LA theaters will be open the two major domestic markets WB needs to even consider releasing Tenet.

Tony Perkis

Tenet is still getting delayed imo. Which means Mulan and WW1984 will be delayed as well. There's no way New York and LA theaters will be open the two major domestic markets WB needs to even consider releasing Tenet.
If it gets delayed, it gets delayed. I think it does as well, but given that we can only make predictions based on the information we currently know, Tenet is the next film that would dictate theatres actually opening.

Darkprime

How Christopher Nolan feels right now.

giphy.gif

mf1972

as much as we miss going to the theater to watch a movie, i’m not in much of a rush to go. we’re from NJ, & have the 2nd most cases after NY, so no rush for us.

brodie999

Original Poster
With what content?

Texas could have had theatres open for over a month. They’re still closed.
I know we won't have any content. But it'd be unexpected great news if some delayed movies got moved back to a earlier date. I don't want 2021 to get too competitive for the whole film industry.

Tony Perkis

I don’t dispute that’d be good news, but it’s the same news as if “That Thing You Do” was given a wide re-release.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With what content?

Texas could have had theatres open for over a month. They’re still closed.
I can't tell you about Texas, but all the drive-ins that have been opened the last month here in CA are packed, especially on the weekends. And they have been playing older films as well as several of the films that were released prior to closing.

I expect theaters will reopen with Trolls World Tour and several of the other films that were either released or about to be released prior to closing. And then next month with Tenant and Mulan (if it hasn't moved by then) being available I expect any other theater not reopened by then will reopen.

brodie999

Original Poster
I can't tell you about Texas, but all the drive-ins that have been opened the last month here in CA are packed, especially on the weekends. And they have been playing older films as well as several of the films that were released prior to closing.

I expect theaters will reopen with Trolls World Tour and several of the other films that were either released or about to be released prior to closing. And then next month with Tenant and Mulan (if it hasn't moved by then) being available I expect any other theater not reopened by then will reopen.
Okay, what about films that were released before the pandemic got worse like Onward? That one has so much potential to make $600-800 million.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Okay, what about films that were released before the pandemic got worse like Onward? That one has so much potential to make $600-800 million.
It depends, not sure if Disney would be willing to throw it back out there. They just might be willing to since its already been on both VOD and Disney+. Also might be something they would do in order to garner some goodwill with the theater owners in exchange for a smaller theatrical release window (for at least the next year) of say 30 days. So that way Disney can push all their content directly to VOD/D+ 30 days after its released to theaters.

Also I know it was doing well at Drive-ins just before everything closed down. So who knows, you might just see Disney making a bunch of announcements this week about the DLR reopening and movies coming back to theaters within the next month.

Tony Perkis

The only other prominent in-theatre film that really got handicapped by the pandemic was Universal's The Invisible Man.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

I'm clearly referring to the primary brands: Regal, Cinemark, AMC, Alamo Drafthouse. It's great that drive-ins could operate, but they're too far and few between overall to say theatres are open in any meaningful way.

Theatres won't take Trolls: World Tour. That is damaged goods for theatres and really a point of contention for them.

Disstevefan1

What the??? Masks not needed in the movie theatre ???

We must wear masks in the heat, rain humidity at WDW but sitting in the beautiful, cool dark...... Zzzzzz.. , oh sorry, I fell asleep there.

Where was I, but sitting in the beautiful, cool, dark, AC air circulated, INDOOR, enclosed movie theatre, MASKS NOT NEEDED?

I am confused.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom