UpStairs Imagination Abandoned 2013- Weird little room

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Way jealous. I would love to be able to go into those hidden areas.

Personally, in Imageworks' current abandoned, lifeless form, I think I would find it rather depressing. The only way it would be enjoyable for me would be if I blundered into a team frantically installing all kinds of new, cool stuff for us guests to experience and play with.

yensid67

OK guy...I stand corrected...that is the reflection of the videographer...but it was fun to imagine it was a ghost!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Is it just me, or does it seem to be a liability issue for Disney that this abandoned area is so easily accessible to park visitors? :confused:

Not that I don't enjoy watching these forbidden videos, but it would seem to be a problem that this area is still accessible. It's open, unstaffed, and not monitored. And yet there is old equipment laying around, new computers and work areas with valuable and/or proprietary information on them, and various odd things that could get someone injured if they started playing around with it all.

From a safety and legal liability perspective, it's very odd to me that Disney hasn't closed this area off permanently with walls and locked doors.

YouTube is full of videos of guests snooping around. River Country there is a good one, the Old Discovery Island is a real good YouTube, they swam out their during the overnight hours. There is one for WoL with what is left of the Body Wars. Sad and entertaining.

Goofyernmost

YouTube is full of videos of guests snooping around. River Country there is a good one, the Old Discovery Island is a real good YouTube, they swam out their during the overnight hours. There is one for WoL with what is left of the Body Wars. Sad and entertaining.
Do you, by any chance, have a link for the WoL one?

bethymouse

That first 20 seconds of Bon Jovi was awesome, and a little weird. Usually these kinds of vids just make me sad, but in this case I think it's really dumb that Disney is just letting this great space go to waste
You'd be surprised how much "wasted" space there is at the WDW Resort!:facepalm:

tl77

You'd be surprised how much "wasted" space there is at the WDW Resort!:facepalm:

I'm not so much surprised, more just annoyed by it, especially in EPCOT. Things like this make it seem like the "experimental" prototype community of tomorrow is sort of a failed experiment if there's all this shuttered "urban blight" all over the place... WoL and Odyssey I'm talkin' about you too

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
There is but it would be easy to get around it. For that matter just climb over the fence....

Yeah that is what they did in the video. Climbing it is a little rough since they have woven vertical plastic in the chain-link fencing. There is a better abandoned River Country YouTube out there somewhere. They go in and out of some of the buildings. I have a hard time searching for some Disney things on YouTube, the titles don't always match what I'm trying to search.

HolleBolleGijs

No matter how tempting these abandoned locations are, I will never explore them, after what happened to adamthewoo. Granted, I wouldn't broadcast my adventures for TDO to see, but still.

crispy

My wife took some students on a Disney education field trip earlier this month. As part of their lesson, they went upstairs in Imagination and did some communication experiments. She said the view of Future World from up there is still great.

There definitely are "legal" ways to visit up there. My daughters did a Y.E.S. program class at Epcot in October, and they took us upstairs to do some activities for the class. I didn't get to snoop too much since we were with a CM, but DH and I did get a few pictures. I hadn't visited WDW while it was still open so it was nice to be able to actually see it. The CM also told us they rent the space out for meetings and receptions.

IHeartArt

I wonder sometimes if E.P.C.O.T. as (Walt envisioned it) would have been a success or if it would have been the downfall of the company.

I'm sorry, but... it's probably for the best that it exists as a beautiful dream and a cool theme park nothing else. The community planning Walt had planned for EPCOT probably wouldn't have worked out. The exit and entrance strategy for cars alone seems like it would have ended up tough to navigate.

Goofyernmost

I'm sorry, but... it's probably for the best that it exists as a beautiful dream and a cool theme park nothing else. The community planning Walt had planned for EPCOT probably wouldn't have worked out. The exit and entrance strategy for cars alone seems like it would have ended up tough to navigate.
I have to agree. It was a beautiful dream and if anyone could make it work it would have been Walt, but, I really doubt he could have pulled it off. They tried the concept with Celebration and it didn't work. People in this country are way too independent thinking to have their entire lives programed to rigid specs. It would have started OK, but it would have collapsed very quickly possibly bringing the entire company down with it. Sorry, I really wish I could feel that it would have been great, but, they couldn't even keep EPCOT, the theme park, current. A whole city based on a continuing future set-up? I don't see that happening.

Axle1986

I got into the upstairs of Imagination pavilion last week. Note; the elevator is still fully functional.
Also, they don't lock the doors to Wonders of Life pavilion..... I... found that out too.

Maleficent88

I really don't understand why you people feel the need to go up to an out of bounds second floor. That trespass record must seem really appealing to you...

mimitchi33

There definitely are "legal" ways to visit up there. My daughters did a Y.E.S. program class at Epcot in October, and they took us upstairs to do some activities for the class. I didn't get to snoop too much since we were with a CM, but DH and I did get a few pictures. I hadn't visited WDW while it was still open so it was nice to be able to actually see it. The CM also told us they rent the space out for meetings and receptions.
Wow. That sounds like fun.
Anyways, I can't believe how much stuff was still there. And I'm also surprised that you can still go to the upstairs ImageWorks and to the Wonders of Life pavilion.

The Empress Lilly

I really don't understand why you people feel the need to go up to an out of bounds second floor. That trespass record must seem really appealing to you...
We're fans. We have an emotional connection to this place. We stand in a two-hour long line to buy merchandise for an anniversary of this place.

I have memories of playing with my siblings in the Imagination upstairs, thirty years ago. With my parents. It is why I come back to WDW, and it is why sometimes I tell a Disney employee "oops, I was on my way to the bathroom. I thought it was over here and...." :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom