Upload From 8MM film

kal1484

Original Poster
I have a lot of 8mm tapes from my old video camera (well, my dads) It bit the dust before I could upload them to my computer to put them on DVD. I was wondering if anyone knew of a product that I could put the tapes in so I could upload them to the computer. I'd rather not buy a new video camera that I won't use...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Check your local yellow pages for a company that will do video transfers and conversions. They can convert these for you. Depending on the quantity you have it will most likely be less expensive to have someone else do it vs. buying the equipment to do it with. Another option would be to check e-bay for a cheep used 8MM camera.

TAC

Most GOOD higher end photography stores and/or photolabs will do this. I strongly suggest you do not find the "cheapest" place, because you will get what you pay for.

Master Yoda said:
Check your local yellow pages for a company that will do video transfers and conversions. They can convert these for you. Depending on the quantity you have it will most likely be less expensive to have someone else do it vs. buying the equipment to do it with. Another option would be to check e-bay for a cheep used 8MM camera.

prberk

Master Yoda said:

I completely agree with Master Yoda (question him not, I must). Plenty of people do this for a side job or professionally, and they will be able to give you great, menu-driven DVDs for a good price. Just look in your local yellow pages and call them. I had some videotape put on DVD by a professional, and it looked good and was not that expensive.

And, BTW, is anyone else around here old enough to have understood the thread title to be refering to actual 8mm ("Super 8") FILM... Or am I just showing my age? :lookaroun Can we say, "The Wonder Years"?! :)

We actually had some old family Super 8 film from the early '70s put on video a few years back; now I think I need to have them put on DVD myself.

Paul

TAC

I completely understood the title. I have box of 8mm film rolls that I need to convert to digital media.

prberk said:
And, BTW, is anyone else around here old enough to have understood the thread title to be refering to actual 8mm ("Super 8") FILM... Or am I just showing my age? :lookaroun Can we say, "The Wonder Years"?! :)

We actually had some old family Super 8 film from the early '70s put on video a few years back; now I think I need to have them put on DVD myself.

Paul

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Sigh!

You're not showing THAT much age... :eek: I remember "regular 8", black and white, no sound, film. It wasn't called regular 8 until it was replaced with "Super-8". You know, sort of like World War I was originally called "The Great War" until they had another [ok, I don't remember that... :lol:]

barnum42

TAC said:
I completely understood the title. I have box of 8mm film rolls that I need to convert to digital media.
You can either literally video the cine playback, or there used to be a device they sold that you put between the projector and video camera with them at 90degrees to each other that gave a better quality transfer.

Otherwise pay someone else to do it - you should have no trouble finding either someone locally or online.

barnum42

MontyMon said:
You're not showing THAT much age... :eek: I remember "regular 8", black and white, no sound, film. It wasn't called regular 8 until it was replaced with "Super-8". You know, sort of like World War I was originally called "The Great War" until they had another [ok, I don't remember that... :lol:]
I only ever used Super-8, but we used to have a few 400 foot reels of Regular 8 film too.

Sadly, due to a huge mistake when my folks moved house several thousand foot of family cine film ended up on a bonfire, so it was all lost.

TAC

Yea, I know. I just have to do it.

We don't have a projector, so I'll have to have someone else do it.

barnum42 said:
You can either literally video the cine playback, or there used to be a device they sold that you put between the projector and video camera with them at 90degrees to each other that gave a better quality transfer.

Otherwise pay someone else to do it - you should have no trouble finding either someone locally or online.

prberk

Sorry to hear that your film was lost, Barnum.

You know, I have come to realize that those old family films, especially from the pre-video days (frankly, when it was a "big deal" to film something), are really priceless. I have heard that the film can degrade, and some of ours already played a little faded or yellow when I had some of it transferred fifteen or twenty years ago, or so.

But either way it is great to have moving images of some of our relatives from years ago, especially those who are no longer with us.

So, if you have ANY family film from the "Super 8" or "Regular 8" days, please take the time and/or money to have it preserved on modern media. You will not regret it. Period.

Paul

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom