Upgrading to Premier Annual Passport

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
I've been doing some number crunching for our trip to Disneyland in April, figuring out ticket prices and what not. A 5 day park hopper ticket is $300. Currently we have a WDW AP that we purchased for $611 in May of last year. Looking at the figures, it looks like I could upgrade my WDW AP to a Premier Annual Passport for $399 ($99 more than the 5 day park hopper ticket) I am toying with upgrading for the simple fact it will give us dining discounts and merchandise discounts. Where would I have to do this upgrade at? Would I have to upgrade at the Disneyland gate? Does anyone here have the Premier Pass and do you think it's worth it for the discounts? I think we will be doing about 5-6 sit down meals (One meal is the WOC dinner package at Carthay Circle and another would be Steakhouse 55, both of which are a little pricey so I figure the discounts would be good there!) We don't plan on returning to WDW or DLR before the pass would expire in May, but I still think upgrading would be a good choice. Thoughts?

Californian Elitist

You would upgrade at one of the Disneyland ticket kiosks. You would indeed get some pretty healthy discounts. So far this year, there have been AP special events, so if there's one during your trip, you could also partake in that. I believe @coachwnh has a Premier pass.

Last edited:

gsrjedi

We had the Premier pass when we visited WDW, but bought them at DLR. I don't remember why, but I remember us having to purchase those passes at Guest Services just to the left of the Disneyland turnstiles. I'm not sure if the ticket booths couldn't help us with those, just know we had to go to guest services.

When we used our Premier pass in WDW for the first time we had to go to guest services at Epcot to get them activated. That was something they couldn't do at the ticket booths. So you may end up at guest services either way.

It's probably worth it to upgrade. If you're used to the discounts and such at WDW, you'll like having it for that reason alone. Just make sure whoever has the pass does all the paying.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
I want to mooch your better discount than mine. :D

haha, you mooch!! J/K! Oh and btw, I told the other gals that we're all having WOC dinner together and they are wicked excited!! :D

We had the Premier pass when we visited WDW, but bought them at DLR. I don't remember why, but I remember us having to purchase those passes at Guest Services just to the left of the Disneyland turnstiles. I'm not sure if the ticket booths couldn't help us with those, just know we had to go to guest services.

When we used our Premier pass in WDW for the first time we had to go to guest services at Epcot to get them activated. That was something they couldn't do at the ticket booths. So you may end up at guest services either way.

It's probably worth it to upgrade. If you're used to the discounts and such at WDW, you'll like having it for that reason alone. Just make sure whoever has the pass does all the paying.

Thank you! Yeah, with our TIW card, I was the one who had it so we always paid in cash. Will probably do the same thing in DL.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Now I'm reading on anothe site that you can't take the value of your WDW AP and put it towards the price of a Premier AP. Why would that not be alowed? I thought you could always take the ticket you have and upgrade? Now I'm confused.... :confused:

coachwnh

You would upgrade at one of the Disneyland ticket kiosks. You would indeed get some pretty healthy discounts. So far this year, there have been AP special events, so if there's one during your trip, you could also partake in that. I believe @coachwnh has a Premiere pass.
We waited until our WDW APs expired since you don't get a discount when you purchase the premier pass. Plus, we were able to extend our premier passes by about 2 months by not buying them until we arrived in DL last August. The perks in DL make it work it, but I'm not sure you can upgrade from your existing pass to a premier pass.

Figments Friend

This is a timely thread.
I have been recently toying with the idea of getting a AP myself this May when i return to DL. I definately will return again within a year, so i have considered it.

I keep hearing about the discounts and special events ( in CA ) and considering it costs only a little more then what i would pay for two 5-day PHs it seems worth it.

Still not sure though....need to think a little more about it.
Convince me !

:)

Furiated

I've had the Premier Pass the past two years. I always look at when I expect to be at both resorts and for how long and as long as it's close in dollars, I'll get the Premier.

The discounts at Disneyland are really good, you still get the 20% off merch there unlike WDW, and it seems like way more dining locations give a discount at DL than at WDW.

The first time I got mine, I upgraded from a WDW AP, and I hadn't heard anything about not being able to do that anymore. You are taking an existing AP and upgrading it to a higher level AP. I also wasn't able to upgrade or buy one outright at a regular ticket window, I had to go to Guest Services for mine.

Completely useless but fun perk, you'll sometimes get guests and CMs say Ooh, you have the FANCY pass! :)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Thanks for all the insight everyone! I figured I wouldn't get a discount but rather, would have to pay the $399 difference between the WDW AP and the Premier AP. Since the 5 day PH is $300, I figured the extra $99 would be worth it! Based on our calculations for dining, it looks like we would save $120. Plus any merchandise discounts so while it wouldn't be a huge savings, it would still be some! I guess we will see when we get there what the actual figures are for the upgrade and go from there.

fosse76

Be forewarned: Premier Passports issued by DLR are NOT RFID-enabled, so they will not work at WDW. If you return to WDW before it expires, they will have to swap out the pass for one that is RFID-enabled. Also, if you go to DLR with the RFID-enabled Premier Passport issued at WDW, it will NOT work at DLR. They will take the pass info and do a back-end fix, but it takes a few days. The whole thing is a mess and time consuming. At DLR it was finally working on the last day of my trip.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Be forewarned: Premier Passports issued by DLR are NOT RFID-enabled, so they will not work at WDW. If you return to WDW before it expires, they will have to swap out the pass for one that is RFID-enabled. Also, if you go to DLR with the RFID-enabled Premier Passport issued at WDW, it will NOT work at DLR. They will take the pass info and do a back-end fix, but it takes a few days. The whole thing is a mess and time consuming. At DLR it was finally working on the last day of my trip.

Thanks for that info! We don't plan on returning to WDW after our trip to DLR. We will be at DLR April 26-May 1 and our APs expire May 25 so no plans for WDW after upgrading the pass! Although knowing how my family and I travel, that could change ;) So thanks for the heads up! :)

wild01ride

I've done the Premier Passport twice now and just cashed in on the DVC renewal (first time ever for DVC to offer a discount on the Premier Passport. I think it was $849 - a total no-brainer for someone who goes to the parks 3 or more times in a year!

As some others have said, not only are the food discounts well worth it (CM's are actually REALLY good at asking if you have an AP for a discount at food and merch locations!), but the merchandise discounts are phenomenal as well! 20% discount and that has included everything that we've encountered in Downtown Disney as well (Lego store!!).

The $99 is similar to what you would pay for Tables in Wonderland, except you get the food and merch discounts.

Something to consider in the future: if you end up getting the Premier Passport, it gets you into the waterparks, Wide World of Sports, and I think the miniature golf, etc. at WDW. In the past, when I had only a WDW AP, I didn't purchase the premium AP because I didn't have a strong desire to go to the waterparks. However, last year, with the Premier Passport including entry to waterparks, I visited Typhoon Lagoon for the first time in more than 15 years or so. It was nice because I didn't feel like I had to stay all day "to get my money's worth" since it was a part of my pass that I never actually planned to use.

All in all, I have been very happy with the Premier Passport (besides the back and forth intricacies going between WDW and DLR). It has given me some great opportunities to visit "when I have been in the neighborhood" when I otherwise would not have had the chance!

Also, as an FYI, I purchased my previous one as well as my recent renewal vouchers directly from the ticket windows in the promenade between Disneyland and California Adventure without any problem.

FYI, I acknowledge the fact that the DLR-issued pass has not had the RFID capability, however, my current pass was issued at WDW, with RFID. The biggest frustration is that I have not been able to associate it with the MagicBand and MyMagic+ systems.
However, when going to DLR, there was no distinct problem with using the ticket other than the fact that Disneyland's picture database system which they use for AP's didn't integrate well. I could use my ticket at the gates but they would always tell me to go have my photo taken for the database. After pursuing this twice and having my photo taken and supposedly linked to my account, they continuously asked me at the turnstiles to go get my photo taken.
It wasn't until I just recently got my renewal ticket that the gracious CM mentioned "hmm, your ticket's Photopass # isn't in the system..." She set it up on the spot and told me I could have my photo taken by any Photopass photographer. I did the same morning and it was in the system the same day without any more questions from the CM's at the turnstiles!

After having the Premier Passport as long as I have, it's hard to turn back to anything else with the per-visit ticket prices for Park Hoppers.
And now, when ridiculously cheap flights come along...or I have a business trip that passes very close to DLR, I can always excuse a stop by the Happiest Place on Earth!

Enjoy your trip!

Furiated

As already stated, this is not the case taking a WDW Premier Pass to DLR. I was able to go right to the gate, no issues other than the issue with your photo not showing up, as was already mentioned. I tried multiple times both years I had the Premier to try and get a photo linked. Never worked, so I gave up and just always have my ID ready as I present my pass.

wild01ride

...no issues other than the issue with your photo not showing up, as was already mentioned. I tried multiple times both years I had the Premier to try and get a photo linked. Never worked, so I gave up and just always have my ID ready as I present my pass.

I ended up getting so frustrated when the CM's at the gate would say "You really should get your picture taken..."!
I realize they don't understand the whole story, but I got to the point where I just wanted to yell "I've had my blankety-blank picture taken already and the blankety-blank system doesn't work right!" :mad: LOL!

**Deep breaths..."they're just doing their job...they're just doing their job..."

I guess I need to keep in mind the MagicBand debacle at WDW and how frustrating that is that my $1k pass doesn't work! :facepalm:

Furiated

I ended up getting so frustrated when the CM's at the gate would say "You really should get your picture taken..."!
I realize they don't understand the whole story, but I got to the point where I just wanted to yell "I've had my blankety-blank picture taken already and the blankety-blank system doesn't work right!" :mad: LOL!

**Deep breaths..."they're just doing their job...they're just doing their job..."

I guess I need to keep in mind the MagicBand debacle at WDW and how frustrating that is that my $1k pass doesn't work! :facepalm:

Haha, yup! I would try and explain the first few times. Since, I have given up and now I just smile and nod and say Photo? Sure, I'll go do that right now, thanks...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom