Upgrading to Annual Pass

Jamie77

Last month, I bought 8 day park hopper tickets. However, I'm thinking of upgrading to an AP after checking in to the WDW Dolphin. I know they have a ticket desk there so I was going to try to pay the difference to upgrade. Is the price to upgrade to the AP going to be the actual difference or a prorated difference?

Rob562

Last month, I bought 8 day park hopper tickets. However, I'm thinking of upgrading to an AP after checking in to the WDW Dolphin. I know they have a ticket desk there so I was going to try to pay the difference to upgrade. Is the price to upgrade to the AP going to be the actual difference or a prorated difference?

You cannot process the upgrade at the Dolphin, but you can go over to the International Gateway entrance to Epcot or down to the Studios and visit the Guest Relations window there.

But importantly, a few notes:
If you bought the ticket directly from Disney and prices haven't increased since then, you can simply do the upgrade right away. You'll pay the difference between what you paid for the ticket and the price of the AP.

*But* if the ticket price has increased, or you bought the ticket at a discount from a ticket reseller, you should enter a theme park first *before* you upgrade the ticket. (Since there isn't a Guest Relations window inside the turnstiles at the International Gateway, this would require you to enter the park and then turn around and exit again to go to GR)
What this does is lock the value of your ticket in at the *current* gate price, even if you bought the ticket for cheaper. You then pay the difference between the current gate price of your ticket and the price of the AP.

-Rob

Upvote 0

correcaminos

Actual difference there are no prorating of the passes. The expiration date will also be based on date of first use of the tickets, but you can do it anytime before they expire, so you don't have to upgrade right away. If you got the ticket at a discount use the ticket first to get the current gate value. Otherwise it won't matter when you do it.

You will need to go to a ticket window to do this though. International Gateway at Epcot will be the closest or DHS as well.

Upvote 0

Courtney6682

I was able to upgrade at the front desk of FQ in Feb, I did not have to go to guest relations for anything. Just double check with them first, unless @Rob562 has personal experience with this. Maybe they can't because they're not a ''Disney'' hotel?

Upvote 0

Rob562

I was able to upgrade at the front desk of FQ in Feb, I did not have to go to guest relations for anything. Just double check with them first, unless @Rob562 has personal experience with this. Maybe they can't because they're not a ''Disney'' hotel?

Did you upgrade to an AP? Or just upgrade something about your MYW ticket? (Add days, add Hopper, etc)

It's been my understanding that AP's were strictly a theme park/Disney Springs GR thing because of the ticketing system. They tried having resorts work with AP's a couple years ago but I recall them shutting that down fairly quickly after issues with the AP's and MDE. I suppose it's possible they've worked out the problems and are giving it another go...

-Rob

Upvote 0

Courtney6682

Did you upgrade to an AP? Or just upgrade something about your MYW ticket? (Add days, add Hopper, etc)

It's been my understanding that AP's were strictly a theme park/Disney Springs GR thing because of the ticketing system. They tried having resorts work with AP's a couple years ago but I recall them shutting that down fairly quickly after issues with the AP's and MDE. I suppose it's possible they've worked out the problems and are giving it another go...

-Rob

We had 5 day hoppers and we upgraded to the Platinum Plus AP. I had heard all along on this site that I would have to go to guest relations, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask at the front desk and sure enough they were able to help us. Got our cards on the spot as well.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Well that's new. I'll have to keep that in mind.

-Rob
The resorts have been back and forth between working with and not working with AP's.

As I understand it, they have access to the computer system that will do it, but the CM's at the resort are not as well versed with them as the ones you will find at guest services at the parks or Disney Springs. I have tried to have both tickets and AP's upgraded at the resorts and every single time it has been anything more than straight out buying a ticket, there have been problems.

My experience has been mirrored by a number of other people I have spoken with on the matter.

I have found it easier to simply go to guest services at the parks where there is a much greater chance of success.

Regardless of that, it would be best for the OP (@Jamie77 ) to enter park using the ticket first and then upgrading it to guarantee that you get the maximum value for it.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I have been told multiple times at resorts I have to go to the park (or DS) to validate my AP. Now for sure with the DVC discount. Would be nice if all resorts could handle this at the concierge. Glad to hear others have been able to.

Upvote 0

Jamie77

Original Poster
I read somewhere that the WDW Dolphin ticket desk is staffed with Disney cast members. That's why I was asking. It's my tradition to go to DHS on my arrival day so I will upgrade there if I have to.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I read somewhere that the WDW Dolphin ticket desk is staffed with Disney cast members. That's why I was asking. It's my tradition to go to DHS on my arrival day so I will upgrade there if I have to.
It's not so much about having Disney there as it is a lot of resorts just don't have the CMs who have access/know how to access it. I did have someone at Polynesian able to look at things for me but wasn't able to finish the processing for me. He was able to confirm he saw the tickets at least on our account, but we still had to go to Guest Services at Epcot.

Upvote 0

KathyJetson

I have a ticket I want to upgrade to an AP. If I use my ticket to enter MK can I upgrade it from inside the park or do I have to leave the park to do it?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom