Upgrading Park Tickets to an AP, but Purchased Initial Tickets Through Parksavers

MySmallWorldof4

I hope someone knows the answer to this question. I purchased 5 water park and more tickets last November through Park Savers because the deal was too good to pass up. I paid $1914 for 2 kids and 3 adult water park and more tickets. It was a 5 day. I think if I remember correctly it saved me over $300. I want to upgrade these tickets to an AP. I think I remember reading once somewhere that if I use the tickets before I upgrade that I can keep the discount I got and the AP price would be based on the actual Disney ticket price and not the discount. So if an AP with tax is $829 now, and the adult ticket I purchased at the 2016 price with tax was $463, would I pay that difference? Or would the discount I got get tacked onto the price. Thanks!

Rob562

I hope someone knows the answer to this question. I purchased 5 water park and more tickets last November through Park Savers because the deal was too good to pass up. I paid $1914 for 2 kids and 3 adult water park and more tickets. It was a 5 day. I think if I remember correctly it saved me over $300. I want to upgrade these tickets to an AP. I think I remember reading once somewhere that if I use the tickets before I upgrade that I can keep the discount I got and the AP price would be based on the actual Disney ticket price and not the discount. So if an AP with tax is $829 now, and the adult ticket I purchased at the 2016 price with tax was $463, would I pay that difference? Or would the discount I got get tacked onto the price. Thanks!

If you use the ticket to enter a theme park *before* you upgrade, you'll get credit for the *current* gate price of your tickets, not the 2016 price. You'll then pay the difference between the current gate price for your ticket and the current price for the AP.

But note that if you use one if the WP&M options before upgrading, you'll be forced to get an AP that includes water parks.

-Rob

Upvote 0

MySmallWorldof4

Original Poster
If you use the ticket to enter a theme park *before* you upgrade, you'll get credit for the *current* gate price of your tickets, not the 2016 price. You'll then pay the difference between the current gate price for your ticket and the current price for the AP.

But note that if you use one if the WP&M options before upgrading, you'll be forced to get an AP that includes water parks.

-Rob
Thanks, so if I upgrade before we hit the water park or the mini golf, then they won't tack the discount on the difference? Just want to be sure I understood.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Thanks, so if I upgrade before we hit the water park or the mini golf, then they won't tack the discount on the difference? Just want to be sure I understood.

After you use the ticket you'll get current-gate-price credit regardless of what AP you're getting. You didn't mention what type of AP you were planning on upgrading to, so I figured I'd throw that water-park bit in just in case.

If you're planning on getting an AP that includes water parks, then there's no issue. Upgrade at any time after you use the ticket.

But if you *weren't* planning on an AP that includes water parks, then you cannot use any of the WP&M options before upgrading. Once the ticket is used to enter a water park (or used for one of the other WP&M options) then that ticket can *only* be upgraded to an AP that also includes water parks.

Lastly, if you're only planning on going to the Water Parks once or twice during the year, make sure you do the math to see whether an AP *with* water parks is your best choice. If you're only going once, it may be cheaper to get a regular AP and then buy a 1-day ticket to a water park (for which the AP would save you a couple dollars)

-Rob

Upvote 0

MySmallWorldof4

Original Poster
After you use the ticket you'll get current-gate-price credit regardless of what AP you're getting. You didn't mention what type of AP you were planning on upgrading to, so I figured I'd throw that water-park bit in just in case.

If you're planning on getting an AP that includes water parks, then there's no issue. Upgrade at any time after you use the ticket.

But if you *weren't* planning on an AP that includes water parks, then you cannot use any of the WP&M options before upgrading. Once the ticket is used to enter a water park (or used for one of the other WP&M options) then that ticket can *only* be upgraded to an AP that also includes water parks.

Lastly, if you're only planning on going to the Water Parks once or twice during the year, make sure you do the math to see whether an AP *with* water parks is your best choice. If you're only going once, it may be cheaper to get a regular AP and then buy a 1-day ticket to a water park (for which the AP would save you a couple dollars)

-Rob
Thanks for all the info. We have a water parks and more ticket now and were planning on doing mini-golf and water parks. Since the AP doesn't include the mini golf(don't understand that):confused:, then I will upgrade after we do the mini-golf. It will end up being cheaper to upgrade after we play mini golf on the days I have us scheduled for it because then we would have to pay out of pocket and that will be more expensive. We really enjoyed the water parks last year. If I could have gotten away with not upgrading to the plus I would have done that to save some cash now, but see I will have no choice. So, I will upgrade to the Platinum Plus. It is still cheaper than purchasing the same type of ticket for July and we plan on going back May of next year. I calculated our out of pocket will be $2219.90 for the upgrade for 5 tickets. The same type tickets we have now which are the water parks and more park hopper through Park Savers will be $2305. Gotta love Disney math.:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom