Upgrade Question

Dave B

You're rather bold in my opinion to ask for an upgrade. You're placing the individual at check-in in a difficult position. It's one thing is you've been a long time, frequent customer who stays several times per year, but I suspect you're not. It doesn't hurt to have your "special occasion" noted in the reservation. That's the appropriate way to ask for an upgrade. At time of check-in is rude.
Mom always told me, it can't hurt to ask, the worse case scenario is the answer is NO, which is what it would be if you did not ask, I don't feel you are putting anyone in a difficult position, it goes with the job, its just a simple no, sorry, not that awkward in my opinion

Last edited:

MissViv

I've never asked for an upgrade but our last visit was the Polynesian. We booked a standard room and was upgraded to Club Level. Very nice but I would not pay for Club Level. Previous visit was DH and I. The upgrade was me and my SIL who had never been to Disney. We did not note anything special on our reservation but I did ask for specific longhouse.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Hundreds of people check in at disney each day and many of them ask for free upgrades, it just doesn't happen. What's more likely is getting surprised by an upgrade. I've had similar situations in flying, where I like thousands before me asked for a free upgrade - never occurred. I've also asked for help in dealing with situations with my family and they upgrade my situation for free. I wasn't looking for the upgrade but I needed advice in acomodating certain situations (I wasn't trying to be cute with asking for an upgrade, it really was asking for help)

nickys

Premium Member
Hundreds of people check in at disney each day and many of them ask for free upgrades, it just doesn't happen. What's more likely is getting surprised by an upgrade. I've had similar situations in flying, where I like thousands before me asked for a free upgrade - never occurred. I've also asked for help in dealing with situations with my family and they upgrade my situation for free. I wasn't looking for the upgrade but I needed advice in acomodating certain situations (I wasn't trying to be cute with asking for an upgrade, it really was asking for help)

Agreed 100%

The one time I was upgraded flying was a flight between Christmas and New Year, Heathrow to Hong Kong.

I waited in the check-in line, as everyone asked if they could get an upgrade. “No” every time. I just handed over my passport and ticket, and the guy said “Would you like to fly Business Class?”. I was 22 and dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. There were a few disgruntled people when I boarded!

There were about 20 seats, 3 of them were the relief flight deck crew.

CLEtoWDW

Original Poster
Follow up: I’m happy to report back that the upgrade worked! I simply asked a CM upon our arrival at BC and we were offered an upgrade to the club level.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Follow up: I’m happy to report back that the upgrade worked! I simply asked a CM upon our arrival at BC and we were offered an upgrade to the club level.

Was it a free upgrade you were offered or did you pay for the upgrade? Just wondering because you say offered but the free or pay part isn't clear and I'm nosy.:);)

CLEtoWDW

Original Poster
Was it a free upgrade you were offered or did you pay for the upgrade? Just wondering because you say offered but the free or pay part isn't clear and I'm nosy.:);)

Oh this was paid! I was bummed before our trip because it kept showing online that nothing was available on the club level. So upon check in I tried one more time and they had one room available from a recent trip interruption! The BC only has a limited number of club rooms so I knew my chances were slim.

Dave B

Oh this was paid! I was bummed before our trip because it kept showing online that nothing was available on the club level. So upon check in I tried one more time and they had one room available from a recent trip interruption! The BC only has a limited number of club rooms so I knew my chances were slim.
Congrats on that, but that is available to most guests and most days if you want to pay for it, but I think people were thinking in regards to a FREE upgrade

HwdStudio

You are very misleading. You purchased a higher level room. You in no way shape or form received an upgrade. “Purchasing” and “receiving” imply two completely different things. Those who travel know this. Nice try.

CLEtoWDW

Original Poster
You are very misleading. You purchased a higher level room. You in no way shape or form received an upgrade. “Purchasing” and “receiving” imply two completely different things. Those who travel know this. Nice try.
Again as of the day before our trip the resort did not have any club level rooms available which we were kind of bummed about because we love the club level. Upon our arrival at the resort we found out there was just a cancellation and a room on the CL was now available. I don’t think I’d ever expect a “free” upgrade and I was always fine about paying the difference there just weren’t any rooms available. Thanks for the snide remarks but I’ve been to Disney probably 30+ times so I’m ok.

LEA30

I’ve gotten only one upgrade in my trips to WDW. That was in January 2017 at POR. I was there with my mom. She hadn’t realized that when I said I was booking a standard room, it meant a parking lot view, after the CM was showing us where we were located. She said she hoped for a little prettier view. She wasn’t angling for an upgrade or anything but I decided to ask the CM if a better room was available. Lo and behold, the CM was already on it and gave us the upgrade for free. It was very sweet of her and made my mom’s day, as we ended up with a garden view. I suspect some of what allowed the CM to do that was the time of year we were visiting and some, just sheer dumb luck and kindness on the CM’s part.

nickys

Premium Member
Congrats on that, but that is available to most guests and most days if you want to pay for it, but I think people were thinking in regards to a FREE upgrade

Agreed! When people ask about upgrades, 99% of the time they mean a free upgrade from what they paid for. You are the 1% who meant a paid-for upgrade. :)

In your case, it would simply depend on if there was availability when you arrive. People cancel and rebook all the time, so availability can change all the time.

Shouldigo12

Mom always told me, it can't hurt to ask, the worse case scenario is the answer is NO, which is what it would be if you did not ask, I don't feel you are putting anyone in a difficult position, it goes with the job, its just a simple no, sorry, not that awkward in my opinion
It's not difficult at all if the people are understanding when you say no. The difficulty mostly comes from trying to guess in a few seconds if this person is going to throw a fit over it or be cool XD.

correcaminos

Your chances are slim to none. It does happen sometimes, but usually only because a room has had to be taken out of service for some reason.

However, it won't do any harm to ask. :) Or, having read @Weather_Lady's reply, perhaps it will! I doubt there's enough "evidence" either way to be honest.

I'd say slim to none is closer to DVC inventory vs regular room type inventory. When doing regular stays I had upgrades a handful of times. With DVC it's been once out of about 15 years.

That said I wouldn't hold my breath, but for a regular room it doesn't hurt to ask. That said I never asked the few times I got one (usually just a view upgrade).

aladdin2007

quick question about online check in (figured could easily put it here instead of starting a whole new thread) but under room preference options, the pull down menus are blank, for both option 1 and option 2. Anyone else experience this? Is it just a website glitch?

Tuvalu

quick question about online check in (figured could easily put it here instead of starting a whole new thread) but under room preference options, the pull down menus are blank, for both option 1 and option 2. Anyone else experience this? Is it just a website glitch?
It’s been that way for a long time now.

nickys

Premium Member

Leave it blank and phone in your room request to the reservation number instead. :)

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I’ve gotten two upgrades at WDW - once at Coronado when they gave us a preferred room when we booked a standard (we didn’t ask - checked in on the app and when the room was assigned it was a preferred room).

The other time was when we were bumped from All stars. We had a split stay between pop and all stars music. They called me on check in day for all stars and asked if i would take a move to pop as they were overbooked at all stars. I told the guy very nicely that I’d prefer not to go back to pop as I had packed up and was outside all stars about to go check in. I did say however that if they could move me to a moderate or deluxe I’d be willing to change - they got me into PO French quarter for the price of my room at all stars.

Bpmorley

Leave it blank and phone in your room request to the reservation number instead. :)
that's what we just had to do for BCV in October. No choices online. The only thing we want is to not look at the highway and loading dock for the 4th time in a row.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom