UOR looking very rundown

Disneyhead'71

I didn't stop at guest services because I know that basically amounts to "oh I'm so sorry about that." The alternative is to expose this stuff in a place many people look, which could cause more people to notice.

Yeah, I don't expect any of this to be addressed any time soon, but things were already looking shabby pre-covid. This stuff isn't from a few months of neglect but rather years, and in some cases, decades.
giphy.gif

Tom Morrow

Original Poster

If you don't think the UOR parks are as I described, well... look closer, I guess. You'll either see what I'm talking about or continue to turn a blind eye to it. And yes, I examine WDW and SeaWorld just as closely. For instance, the Everest mountain is also covered and rust and grime and is in dire need of refurbishment. However, this is the exception, there are instances of it here and there whereas its hard at UOR to find surfaces that don't need at least some attention.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
It all depends what kind of a reaction you are looking for. Obviously the difference between actual
concern and try to troll.
I mean... do you guys know how these places operate? A complaint such as this at Guest Services stops at Guest Services. "Oh, I'm sorry about that, here's some Express passes."

Responding to their surveys with feedback might be slightly more effective, but even then, they're typically looking for feedback on specific topics which may not include park upkeep. The surveyors are also looking for specific demographics to survey and I'm not even sure you can volunteer to give feedback.

I assure you, the intent here is not to troll. I'm calling out a company charging premium prices for their parks, the same or higher than Disney's prices, but treats everything outside of the ride track areas as some sort of a functionary soundstage that's okay to look beat up and neglected. Literally just pay even a little attention to what I'm talking about, and you will see it everywhere. Outside of Potter, of course. For me, paying premium theme park prices means I want to feel like I'm in a place that feels taken care of, beyond the attractions themselves.

I always find it funny that, for the Disney online fan community, half the "fun" is ripping apart every single thing they do or don't do. But when it comes to Universal, it's always dismissed as trolling if you have anything negative to say about it.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

I mean... do you guys know how these places operate? A complaint such as this at Guest Services stops at Guest Services. "Oh, I'm sorry about that, here's some Express passes."

Responding to their surveys with feedback might be slightly more effective, but even then, they're typically looking for feedback on specific topics which may not include park upkeep. The surveyors are also looking for specific demographics to survey and I'm not even sure you can volunteer to give feedback.

I assure you, the intent here is not to troll. I'm calling out a company charging premium prices for their parks, the same or higher than Disney's prices, but treats everything outside of the ride track areas as some sort of a functionary soundstage that's okay to look beat up and neglected. Literally just pay even a little attention to what I'm talking about, and you will see it everywhere. Outside of Potter, of course.

I always find it funny that, for the Disney online fan community, half the "fun" is ripping apart every single thing they do or don't do. But when it comes to Universal, it's always dismissed as trolling if you have anything negative to say about it.
I don't think you are trolling. And I agree that the parks are looking a little rough around the edges. It is pretty obvious that stuff isn't getting done like pre-COVID days. My overly snarky response was mainly for the 'decades of decay' comment. But even that has a nugget of truth. The street walkway in front of the Starbucks in USF is in pretty rough shape and needs completely redone from Mel's to F&F. And the buildings in Toon Lagoon are in a perpetual state of falling apart/disintegrating (that is where they obviously ran out of money during the initial park build).

On a brighter note. They started putting up Christmas decorations in IOA last night.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I wanted to resurrect this thread to say:

Kudos to Karen Irwin because ever since she took over there has been a tremendous amount of sprucing up and refurbishing. She clearly cares a whole lot more than Bill Davis, who let the place kinda fall apart. The resort is looking a lot more fresh these days.

Also glad to see that they're doing this while building Epic and not just focusing all of their efforts on Epic.

Mike S

I wanted to resurrect this thread to say:

Kudos to Karen Irwin because ever since she took over there has been a tremendous amount of sprucing up and refurbishing. She clearly cares a whole lot more than Bill Davis, who let the place kinda fall apart. The resort is looking a lot more fresh these days.

Also glad to see that they're doing this while building Epic and not just focusing all of their efforts on Epic.
So everything is looking good? All effects working?

Does Hagrid still stall in the Devil’s Snare and is the Skrewt using its fog?

Sorry if it’s too many questions 😅

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
So everything is looking good? All effects working?

Does Hagrid still stall in the Devil’s Snare and is the Skrewt using its fog?

Sorry if it’s too many questions 😅

Uhh... not sure lol. The show scenes in Hagrid's still need some upgrades for sure.

But overall it seems like a lot of the complaints I had when I made this thread have been addressed or are being addressed and that's really good to see. There was a whole bunch of stuff in both parks that was quite literally cracked and rotting in plain view that are finally been spruced up. For instance, the library facade near Fallon/Mummy. They're finally refurbishing it now, but it sat covered in rot and discoloration for the better part of a decade. They've also been redoing the walkways and facades all over the place and replacing food and merch stands with newer, nicer looking ones.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom