Unreleased 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea Subs construction photos.

lnsemsf

Original Poster
My friend's father worked at the Tampa shipyards back in the 60s and 70s (and to this day) and back then he was involved in the construction of the 20K subs for WDW. My friend gave me these photos which I scanned and I've had these sitting on my computer forgotten for about 10 years now. Since these are his personal photos, they would be unseen by anybody but his family and date back to the original construction. I just thought I would share them here for anyone interested in seeing how what once was came to be.

Attachments

• subs1.jpg
    subs1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 420
  • subs2.jpg
    subs2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 379
  • subs3.jpg
    subs3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 377
  • subs4.jpg
    subs4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 370
  • subs5.jpg
    subs5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 360
  • subs6.jpg
    subs6.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 366
  • subs7.jpg
    subs7.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 369
  • subs8.jpg
    subs8.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Look at the size of those things! :geek:

They would still be spectacular 45 years on. A few updated show scenes, a queue through Nemo's quarters highlighting his story, a bit like in Paris, and this would've been an awesome E-ticket still, just like the Mansion. Mystery, adventure, and the thrill of actually being under water.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
What a treat! Thanks so very much for sharing with us, I barely remember my one and only ride on it and so wish it was still there.

Goofyernmost

I went on it a number of times. I was always enormously amused by it. It was, at least in it's time, very unique and I even was amused when I could clearly see the strings that held the fish in place. It was all part of the fun, none of us beyond the age of 13 really thought that we were sailing under the ice caps. However, my wife, who held two master degrees did believe that they actually did submerge until she saw them from the Skyway ride.

Virtual Toad

Riding 20k at night remains one of my fondest and most vivid early WDW memories. There's a happy childhood moment there somewhere near 20k and Toad that I don't recall as vividly, involving my younger brother, my parents, balloons and a kids' souvenir cup and plate (ok, maybe more vivid than I thought).

Whenever I look for the pure *magic* from WDW of the past, my mind always returns to that spot, that moment, 20K and Toad at night, my younger brother and those souvenirs. Thanks OP for the pics, they took me back there, even if only for an instant.

MickeyMomV

We didn't go on our first WDW trip till about 1999 and we completely missed out on the ride. I've seen different photos from far away without people in the photo. Seeing these photos with people right on the subs it puts their size into perspective. I had no idea how big they were!!

Thank you!!

JIMINYCR

Nice photos. Wouldnt it have been great if Disney had kept one of those in the park on display? Too bad that when an attraction is removed they want to wipe every glimmer of its existence away. Except for those few small imagineering nods to past attractions hidden around that is.

Musicman20

Fantastic. Look how much detail they have gone into! Hugeeee machines as well. I am sad to say I never got chance to ride this attraction. I am looking forward to the Finding Nemo 'version' next year when I visit Anaheim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom