Unpopular WDW Opinions

MinnieWaffles

I never liked Downtown Disney much and prefer Disney Springs. I loved the atmosphere and restaurants.

I also don't need statues of Mickey Mouse everywhere to know I'm in Disney World. The old World Of Disney was a visually cluttered, overwhelming, noisy and chaotic mess.

Paper straw fan

Scorching hot take- nobody should waste money and effort taking any child under the age of six to the parks.

Between the crying, strollers, cost, the need to pack half a CVS into bags/backpacks, the crying, the lack of rides that age will enjoy, shrieking as if a banshee has possessed the kid, the crying, wanting a toy from every gift shop, instant meltdown as soon as any show starts, safety/health issues, the crying, 50% chance of them being terrified of all characters, complete lack of ability to deal with long/ hot days at the parks, and did I mention the crying?

I saw a kid today with an ice cream in one hand, tablet with Paw Patrol playing in another, just entering the park, and he was screaming as if his parents had just given little Craxxden a tetanus shot, told him Santa wasn’t real, and taken his toy away. At that point I’m pretty sure I’d just be like “You know what? The kid is just not ready for this. Let’s just try again in 2 years”

I don’t want to single out moms for this, but I think 80% of it seems to be Facebook obsessed moms (& the occasional dad) wanting to go just to post pics of little Payzleigh with Mickey, by the castle, etc, but neglect to show all of the exhausting obstacles before and after to get to that one Instagram moment.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Scorching hot take- nobody should waste money and effort taking any child under the age of six to the parks.

Between the crying, strollers, cost, the need to pack half a CVS into bags/backpacks, the crying, the lack of rides that age will enjoy, shrieking as if a banshee has possessed the kid, the crying, wanting a toy from every gift shop, instant meltdown as soon as any show starts, safety/health issues, the crying, 50% chance of them being terrified of all characters, complete lack of ability to deal with long/ hot days at the parks, and did I mention the crying?

I saw a kid today with an ice cream in one hand, tablet with Paw Patrol playing in another, just entering the park, and he was screaming as if his parents had just given little Craxxden a tetanus shot, told him Santa wasn’t real, and taken his toy away. At that point I’m pretty sure I’d just be like “You know what? The kid is just not ready for this. Let’s just try again in 2 years”

I don’t want to single out moms for this, but I think 80% of it seems to be Facebook obsessed moms (& the occasional dad) wanting to go just to post pics of little Payzleigh with Mickey, by the castle, etc, but neglect to show all of the exhausting obstacles before and after to get to that one Instagram moment.
Wish I could find a way to disagree with any of that, but, I'm at a loss to find fault. I don't really care enough to get my knickers in a knot, but, it does seem pretty work intensive to give the kid the same thrill as waving a flashlight in front of them while they sit in an empty cardboard box.

drizgirl

He was probably hugging Mickey 10 minutes later. Kids are so up and down sometimes. I try hard not to make snap decisions about people after seeing them for a small moment of their day.

Paper straw fan

I agree and raise you to the age of 9. That is just my opinion.

Well, wouldn’t argue there, 6 would just be my bare minimum. At least by then maybe 75% of the crying has gone, and they’ll be able to go into shows and low intensity rides without losing their minds over...absolutely nothing.

I’m sure there’s an occasional precious little moment when little Snaxxleigh smiles at a bird, but again, whether it’s due to FB/IG or whatever, people seem to romanticize these moments and forget the several others where they made an appointment to get their tubes tied the following week.

Goofyernmost

Well, wouldn’t argue there, 6 would just be my bare minimum. At least by then maybe 75% of the crying has gone, and they’ll be able to go into shows and low intensity rides without losing their minds over...absolutely nothing.

I’m sure there’s an occasional precious little moment when little Snaxxleigh smiles at a bird, but again, whether it’s due to FB/IG or whatever, people seem to romanticize these moments and forget the several others where they made an appointment to get their tubes tied the following week.
I waited until my kids were at least 6 for no reason other then it seemed like a good time. They could communicate, you could explain things and they understood, they knew how to use a restroom and they could walk all day with no adverse reactions. They are both in their 40's now and I asked them recently about what they might have said if we had suggested strollers. There reaction was that they would have been upset... they weren't babies. Different time, I guess.

Paper straw fan

I don’t even mean to come off as kid averse- it just seems like anyone under that age would likely have as good a time at the resort than they would the park. My sister & her husband used to do just that- stay at say, AoA, but basically just stay at the resort or go to DS instead of going to the parks when the kids were both under 6-7, and the kids loved it. Just seems like a lot of ordeals to get that one nice moment where the kid is smiling at Small World before going nuclear because...2 year old reasons.

Minnie1976

I like Snow White's Scary Adventures better than Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Not that the newer ride is bad, but it doesn't have any of the charm or atmosphere of the older ride IMO. Florida's version also had the best staging for the scene where the Witch tries to crush you with a rock. The other ones are too cramped in comparison (same for Toad's train tunnel).

You also didn't need to wait 2 hours to ride or get a FP+ 60 days out.

[sorry if I already said this in the thread]
I don’t know why they couldn’t have both.

danyoung56

I used to think exactly as you do, until I visited Disneyland with my brother, his wife and their 2 year old daughter. We just had a blast, basically living the day through her eyes, and boy was she wide-eyed! When she got tired we found a shady area and my brother laid her stroller back on its handles, and we enjoyed a quiet 1/2 an hour just chatting and people watching. It was a very fun day.

That said, I've seen more than my share of freaking-out kids being dragged from ride to ride, terrified of pirates or Monstro or even of giant Mickey. So my take is that you should know your child, and if he/she is prone to temper tantrums or the like, then maybe it would be better to wait a couple years.

Frontierland's Finest

Okay. Who want do debate me on some of these opinions

HEA is the MK's best firework show ever
Big Thunder Mountain RR deserves as much merch as Splash Mountain
7DMT is nothing special
Mickey Ice Cream Sandwiches are better than Mickey Bars
AVATAR belongs and fits in to AK's theme and overall message
The Land pavilion in Epcot is underrated
Carousel of Progress is overrated (Love the song though)
Not having a nighttime parade doesn't bother me at all
Replacing GMR was necessary

danyoung56

I'll debate you on the 7DMT, the best use of AA figures that include projection faces that I've ever seen. The only shortcoming is that it's too short (see what I did there?).

Frontierland's Finest

I'll debate you on the 7DMT, the best use of AA figures that include projection faces that I've ever seen. The only shortcoming is that it's too short (see what I did there?).
The AA figures are impressive, but the length of the ride really do take away from the overall experience of the ride. The way I view it, I put the same 7DMT in the same category as Nav'i River Journey. It has some impressive tech, but the length takes away from it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom