Unpopular Opinions: DLR Edition

Old Mouseketeer

I rarely eat junk food, but one of the best snacks at Disney is the peanut butter cookie in the Poo shop. I don't want popcorn, pretzels, churros etc. I have to walk to a remote corner of the park in a ridiculous cartoon animal land for my fluffy delicious cookie and I avoid every cart in the theme parks.

Could you please not spell it "Poo" when you're talking about peanut butter? Just sayin'....

Old Mouseketeer

The Funnel Cake needs to make a comeback before it's too late.

Funnel cake is wasted unless you can watch them being made through a window. That's the theme park experience. And don't get me started on pre-made and/or frozen funnel cakes. It's like watching the ladies twist and spin the giant lollipops at the old Knott's Candy Kitchen (don't know if they still do that) or the dough balls roll down the spiral at Boudain Pacific Wharf. And as a kid, I could watch the glassblower for hours. And bring back the Frito Kid and the Fritos dispenser!

Old Mouseketeer

Gotta disagree. I think the rebuild doubled the ride’s personality and charm. The great, fun, energetic score—the greatly improved effects—the fact that you can no longer plainly see the tracks ahead of you— For me, they took a good ride and made it fantastic.
(EDIT) But I would love to see the original entry and exit speedramps brought back. That staircase at the unload is the pits.

Agree. And I HATE the claustrophobic closed in ramps that used to be an open room (although I don't miss the windows looking into the mountain).

Old Mouseketeer

Holy cow. That is insane. I didn't even know. I thought it was going down the whole time. That's really cool actually.

DL and Paris are elevators that go down, although in Paris you don't go under the RR--it just allowed them to lower the height of the show building, which is actually inside the berm. WDW and Tokyo both depend on the ceiling going up. Basements are mega-expensive there because of the high water table.

Old Mouseketeer

I feel like no one is going to argue that Spiderman at IOA is less interesting of a ride because of it's ride system and lack of slopes.

At the same time... I feel like slopes are a thing they should be able to do by now? In fact I didn't know that until now. Pooh's Hunny Hunt came out in 2000. GIVE US SLOPES.

No, Snopes is dead already. But I'm still not sure who he was, other than a really bad substitute for Palpatine.

Phroobar

Got it. You are McDonalds.
giphy.gif

Rich T

The State of California, one of fifty US states and also the Earth's fifth largest economy, ahead of the UK, is run by idiots?

🤣
California, along with Oregon and Washington State, are the ruling kings of well-intentioned-but-stupid environmental laws, a Quixotic belief that everybody will ditch their cars if only enough bike lanes are built, and all-around incredible hypocrisy. Oregon has some optional stop signs that in practice seem to be exactly the same as already-existing yield signs and here in California Disneyland is forced to display a large sign warning everyone that the resort contains materials that can potentially cause serious health issues.
(EDIT)
Seriously: In my county, the local government has spent millions upon millions to have a major downtown thoroughfare that everyone uses completely torn up--for the past year with no end in sight--hurting businesses and tripling everyone's commutes. All to install a fancy, landscaped, ELEVATED bike lane in the center of the busy four-lane street--a bike lane that, in the end, maybe twelve people will use.

Last edited:

Rich T

An elevated bike lane sounds amazing. In the United States, sociopathic drivers seem to want to kill cyclists with their vehicles.
It does sound great. But retrofitting the thing into a busy downtown main street--miles long--is a nightmare that's been going on for a year. And relatively few people are going to use it because of hilly terrain. And the moment a cyclist scrapes a knee, they'll sue the city.

Practical Pig

California, along with Oregon and Washington State, are the ruling kings of well-intentioned-but-stupid environmental laws, a Quixotic belief that everybody will ditch their cars if only enough bike lanes are built, and all-around incredible hypocrisy. Oregon has some optional stop signs that in practice seem to be exactly the same as already-existing yield signs and here in California Disneyland is forced to display a large sign warning everyone that the resort contains materials that can potentially cause serious health issues.
(EDIT)
Seriously: In my county, the local government has spent millions upon millions to have a major downtown thoroughfare that everyone uses completely torn up--for the past year with no end in sight--hurting businesses and tripling everyone's commutes. All to install a fancy, landscaped, ELEVATED bike lane in the center of the busy four-lane street--a bike lane that, in the end, maybe twelve people will use.

I am a sixth-generation Humboldt County, California native. My eighth-generation grandniece just turned turned seven. I have seen a lot of these well-intentioned but over-stretched initiatives go by. It's an ebb and flow. It's part of the process, and over time it generally self-corrects as people experience and react, accept or reject a new paradigm.

But the result of that ebb and flow, as demonstrated by California's enviable economy, is that the flow exceeds the ebb

Sharon&Susan

I think the show buildings for DL Haunted Mansion and Pirates should be gutted. Keep the queues as a tribute to the original attraction, but replace the rides themselves with next gen versions with similar storylines, similar to Mystic Manor and Pirates Shanghai. I don't give two hecks about nostalgia when the original Disneyland is being upstaged by what is now decades old trackless technology in other parks.
BEAR.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom