Unpopular Disney World Opinions

SteveAZee

1. If all the WDW hotels were the same price Contemporary, Grand Floridian, and Polynesian still wouldn't make my top 10 list of places to stay, but Riviera would.

(Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach, Riviera, Coronado, Old Key West, Port Orleans French Quarter)

2. No restaurant on WDW property can make a steak that tastes better than what I can make at home.

3. They should make at least three times as many meet & greets and shows/diversions (such as Jedi Trials or Pirates) to tie up more guests so ride lines can shorten.

4. Festival booths should become year round, have their own inner loop created on the lagoon during the Epcot reimagining and there should be an additional entry fee to access them.

5. MF:SR should wait until all buttons/objectives are completed before advancing through the story. If you get too much damage or don't complete your objective you should crash, get blown out of the sky, etc and the ride should end early.

6. I'm glad SWL has sound effects/ambiance instead of SW music.

7. The Safari should be moved from AK to AKL (expanded footprint) and made exclusively into a paid experience. The old Safari space should be used for massive expansion of AK rides.

8. Blizzard Beach should be demolished. In its place ANOTHER water park should be built. One that would even beat Typhoon Lagoon in popularity.

9. WDW should have a selection of days each year that charge twice the gate price but cap admission to half park capacity or less (AP upgrade option to avoid blackout of those dates).

10. Soarin' Around the World should be moved to WS and feature all the WS countries.

11. Whitewashing history by removing selected outdated ideas and pretending they didn't happen (i.e. Pirates Auction Scene) is idiotic, especially when you pick and choose what is wrong. Immoral, drunk, murdering, torturing, pillaging, and thieving pirate activities are ok? Because those themes still exist on that ride. 🤔 Wrongs should be acknowledged and retained in a historical ride, not swept under the rug. The opportunity can be used to converse with children (or adults...smh) about why those things are wrong, if needed.

12. All rides should have disabled return service with a separate entry point for their entire party. To avoid abuse, wheelchair occupants or their guardians should have to present a current (within the past month) doctor's note and ID.

13. The mac & cheese at all WDW restaurants is terrible. Seriously, how do you mess up mac & cheese???

14. Ohana is the worst meal value on WDW property.

15. Columbia Harbor House Lobster Roll is the best meal value on WDW property.

16. I would be OK if WDW stopped doing fireworks.

17. Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor is my favorite attraction at MK.

18. Spaceship Earth should be re-themed.

19. Annual Passholders should have a cap of 10 days per year that they can access the parks without either staying at a WDW hotel or booking an ADR.

20. My favorite ride at DHS is still ToT.
Wow... I agree with, or like, nearly all of these ideas.

Simba’s Mom

My biggest unpopular opinion is going to WDW around Xmas to see the Xmas decorations is a bad idea. Yeah, you see Xmas decorations, but you miss out on Walt Disney World. Go if you've been to WDW at other times of the year, but for a first-timer, going at Xmas time misses the Disney experience.
Two others are I LOVE Dinoland, and I don't love the grapefruit cake at the Brown Derby. Just don't get the appeal. Neither did my server. When I went there, I said "I have to have the grapefruit cake because everyone says how great it is." But when she served it to me and I took a bite, my response was "This is it? It's OK, but that's all." Surprisingly, she said "Yeah, I don't 'get it' either."

Pepper's Ghost

1. WDW is not a good place to take kids. I know that seems crazy, but kids drag their parents down. It's the parents who can truly experience Disney for what it is, and kids tantrums, getting really worn out by mid-day, and laziness don't allow parents to enjoy the experience. I have no kids, but every time I see kids screaming, I pity the parents and mumble to myself that Disney is no place to bring a kid.

2. Fast Pass royally s&cks. I can't stand the system. It's the cause of turning a 20 min "standby" wait into a 60 min wait... turns a 40 min "standby" wait into 120 min wait. What happened to first come, first serve? I know we're used to it now, but all it does in reward people's feeling of entitlement, and makes the "standby folk" feel snubbed, skipped, etc. People are always looking to game the system. I prefered the days where a few dishonest people faked handicaps to game the system. Btw, I realize I'm probably the only person who feels this way, but to me it's comparable to legalizing driving on the expressway shoulder to skip hundreds of cars. (Please don't throw tomatoes at me on this one. :) I'm entitled to how I feel about it.)

3. The stair scene in WDW Haunted Mansion is better than the void/spiders or whatever that preceded it. I've read several comments on these boards to the contrary.

4. Not at all a fan of Jungle Cruise, and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse

5. It's a Small World is way, way, way too long of a ride. At least it attracts people to shorten lines elsewhere.

6. Is it me, or does there seem to be a tremendous amount of wasted building space just inside Spaceship Earth in Epcot? I always feel like those buildings are all vacant unused space in the middle of everything.

7. Specific to these boards and not the parks, but I hate, hate, HATE the excessive use of acronyms!!! A few strategically placed ones are fine, especially when repeating the name of something over and over or when the context is obvious, but these boards have acronyms for everything... another gift from Millennials. :) j/k

Often change is not good, regardless of how my employer says it is:
8. Stitch was awful compared to Alien Encounter

9. The new Test Track is not an improvement over the previous version

10. Soarin' Over California is superior to SAtW. This one might not be too controversial

11. This one might be controversial... IMO, the pirate woman is not better than the wench for auction. I'm not a male chauvinist, or a feminist. Everything is just so PC now. The old scene was a little more historically realistic for the time, so why re-write the historical context. I'll probably get torched for this one, but for context I wholeheartedly support equality in every way for everyone. It's just that the past is always being re-written in the context of the present.

12. Again, WDW HM... I prefer the old bride in the attic to the newer manly looking one.

BasiltheBatLord

- DHS is the second best park on property behind MK
- Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is not bad and gets too much hate
- I don't mind the IP stuff in Epcot (as long as it makes sense, unlike Frozen) because Epcot has been totally stagnant and irrelevant for 20 years.
- Disneyland is better than WDW
- Kids younger than 6 or 7 shouldn't be at the park, they won't really remember any of it and will most likely just complain the whole time.
- Disney should impose a "stroller tax" on entry.

tribbleorlfl

This is just to get reactions. Objectively, the are worse shows on property and the Voices of Liberty are objectively good singers.

I suppose you can just say you're not a fan of the sound and style of VoL, but they nail it for what they're trying to do. Overrated in terms of what? Like, they just aren't very good? That's untrue. You should still appreciate the talent, even if it's not your taste.

Festival of the Lion King one of the "worst" shows? What is better?

Spirit of Aloha? Tiki Room? Country Bears? Indiana Jones? Little Mermaid? Hoop-Dee-Doo? Up! Bird Show? Rivers of Light? Fantasmic?
Come on.
If you refer to my response to @Benjamin_Nicholas , this was not a troll and is my honest opinion. When I say Voices of Liberty are overrated, I'm referring to their sound and song arrangements, not the technical ability of the singers. As I said, my wife was a voice major with someone who ultimately was hired to be in VOL, so I know the level of talent they hire.

I find their sound highly commercial and superficial, almost sacherine, you know that overly-happy Disney Parks sound used in all their shows and parades. I can't really describe it since I'm not a trained singer, but here's what my wife described them as technically: "popish, almost broadway, straight tone, bright and forward/high in the facial mask, low to no vibrato, plenty of scooping."

I find their style anachronistic considering the song selection and the clothing they perform in, and just don't find them enjoyable as a result.

Regarding FotLK, yes, I would take any of those shows mentioned over it.

mgf

I'll also say that for all the things there are to like about Star Wars Land I think they sort of botched its thematic integration to the park. Bad enough that Star Tours sits several blocks away for no visible good reason (and what's the deal with Launch Bay??), but adding a whole Toy Story Land next door and then scattering Frozen, Cars, and the Incredibles throughout with none of it relating to what the rest of the lands do makes DHS seem like "the place where we put the IP's" rather than something with a meaningful mission about stepping into the magic of film making (which still would have worked) or their new thing about living *your own *Insert Movie Here* Adventure!".

I was prepared to agree with this criticism (which I saw widely - not just here) before I visited GE. Now I strongly disagree and think they did a fantastic job on the transition if you think about it like this:

You are either walking from your childhood version of space adventures into your teen/adult version OR you are walking from your teen/adult version back into your childhood version.

I think it could have been done horribly, but the change over is just gradually enough that it works really nicely - especially at night.

FettFan

10. Soarin' Over California is superior to SAtW. This one might not be too controversial

I agree with this. A lot of the transition effects don't look good at all (they practically turned the Eiffel Tower into a Death Star firing at the audience), and the CGI animal scenes (polar bears, whales, elephants) aren't convincing in the slightest.

TwilightZone

Now take this as you will, me and my friend are both young adults who never been to these attractions and just gather opinions on martin's vids. With that being said, we have a few we both equally share:
1. Horizons is overrated. It was charming, but quite boring and lacks a certain element that other rides I've shown him (including the original imagination) have.
2. Figment can go literally anywhere, as long as they don't remove him completely and/or reduce him to just a plain advertising mascot.
3. The best time periods for epcot are the 90s (before the opening of YOUR Imagination anyways) and the update coming.
3 1/2. I actually have very high hopes for the epcot update and I believe all updates that will happen will be better than how it was beforehand, even the beer table.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I find their sound highly commercial and superficial, almost sacherine...
saccharin, or sacherine?
saccharin.............................................................sacherine
1582215711281.png

1582215664293.png

dr_seeker

My big unpopular opinions:

Mission SPACE is currently the best ride at Epcot (I preferred Soarin Over Cali, old Test Track, and Jeremy Irons Spaceship Earth)

DINO is the best non-Flight of Passage ride at AK

The signature restaurants at WDW (and DL) are ok at best and wouldn't survive in any major city

I'd rather have no Fastpass at all than FP+ (although I'd rather just go back to paper Fastpass on E and D Tickets)

Animal Kingdom is still a half-day park if you arrive at rope drop

Pepper's Ghost

My big unpopular opinions:

Mission SPACE is currently the best ride at Epcot (I preferred Soarin Over Cali, old Test Track, and Jeremy Irons Spaceship Earth)

DINO is the best non-Flight of Passage ride at AK

The signature restaurants at WDW (and DL) are ok at best and wouldn't survive in any major city

I'd rather have no Fastpass at all than FP+ (although I'd rather just go back to paper Fastpass on E and D Tickets)

Animal Kingdom is still a half-day park if you arrive at rope drop

Wow... if you ask me, these are NOT unpopular. Their right on point! Every single one. I haven't seen AK at night since approximately 2000... of course I haven't been there at all since approximately 09 for various reasons. Since I haven't been there for so long I can't confirm FoP (although it's a popular ride), but DINO and Everest are obviously the most popular non-FoP rides at AK.

As I've said already, FP+ is just awful. Like others, planning a trip is the worst part of the trip. I'm okay figuring out what days to go to what parks a couple weeks ahead of time, but now I have to compete for FP 60 days before I even know if I want to go to those parks? It's just stupid. Same day FP is fine, even on apps rather than paper, but 60 days out is just idiotic.

Pepper's Ghost

Unless I've missed it, isn't there a single person who's going to say they like Disco Yeti better than A-mode Yeti? Anyone?? [...crickets...]

Okay, here's another potentially unpopular opinion... Disney should fix Yeti in a sustainable way before they make any other improvement anywhere including all the crap they're doing in the Epcot entrance. Who cares about entrances and trees when Yeti is standing still on the disco dance floor???

Heppenheimer

My biggest unpopular opinion is going to WDW around Xmas to see the Xmas decorations is a bad idea. Yeah, you see Xmas decorations, but you miss out on Walt Disney World. Go if you've been to WDW at other times of the year, but for a first-timer, going at Xmas time misses the Disney experience.
Two others are I LOVE Dinoland, and I don't love the grapefruit cake at the Brown Derby. Just don't get the appeal. Neither did my server. When I went there, I said "I have to have the grapefruit cake because everyone says how great it is." But when she served it to me and I took a bite, my response was "This is it? It's OK, but that's all." Surprisingly, she said "Yeah, I don't 'get it' either."
While overall I do like the seasonal holiday overlays, I take a big exception to the Nightmare Before Christmas at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion, mainly because its a far inferior version of an all-time classic.

Heppenheimer

Unless I've missed it, isn't there a single person who's going to say they like Disco Yeti better than A-mode Yeti? Anyone?? [...crickets...]

Okay, here's another potentially unpopular opinion... Disney should fix Yeti in a sustainable way before they make any other improvement anywhere including all the crap they're doing in the Epcot entrance. Who cares about entrances and trees when Yeti is standing still on the disco dance floor???
I will admit that I never saw the original yeti, and the disco version doesn't bother me at all.

Heppenheimer

1. WDW is not a good place to take kids. I know that seems crazy, but kids drag their parents down. It's the parents who can truly experience Disney for what it is, and kids tantrums, getting really worn out by mid-day, and laziness don't allow parents to enjoy the experience. I have no kids, but every time I see kids screaming, I pity the parents and mumble to myself that Disney is no place to bring a kid.

2. Fast Pass royally s&cks. I can't stand the system. It's the cause of turning a 20 min "standby" wait into a 60 min wait... turns a 40 min "standby" wait into 120 min wait. What happened to first come, first serve? I know we're used to it now, but all it does in reward people's feeling of entitlement, and makes the "standby folk" feel snubbed, skipped, etc. People are always looking to game the system. I prefered the days where a few dishonest people faked handicaps to game the system. Btw, I realize I'm probably the only person who feels this way, but to me it's comparable to legalizing driving on the expressway shoulder to skip hundreds of cars. (Please don't throw tomatoes at me on this one. :) I'm entitled to how I feel about it.)

3. The stair scene in WDW Haunted Mansion is better than the void/spiders or whatever that preceded it. I've read several comments on these boards to the contrary.

4. Not at all a fan of Jungle Cruise, and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse

5. It's a Small World is way, way, way too long of a ride. At least it attracts people to shorten lines elsewhere.

6. Is it me, or does there seem to be a tremendous amount of wasted building space just inside Spaceship Earth in Epcot? I always feel like those buildings are all vacant unused space in the middle of everything.

7. Specific to these boards and not the parks, but I hate, hate, HATE the excessive use of acronyms!!! A few strategically placed ones are fine, especially when repeating the name of something over and over or when the context is obvious, but these boards have acronyms for everything... another gift from Millennials. :) j/k

Often change is not good, regardless of how my employer says it is:
8. Stitch was awful compared to Alien Encounter

9. The new Test Track is not an improvement over the previous version

11. This one might be controversial... IMO, the pirate woman is not better than the wench for auction. I'm not a male chauvinist, or a feminist. Everything is just so PC now. The old scene was a little more historically realistic for the time, so why re-write the historical context. I'll probably get torched for this one, but for context I wholeheartedly support equality in every way for everyone. It's just that the past is always being re-written in the context of the present.

12. Again, WDW HM... I prefer the old bride in the attic to the newer manly looking one.

I thought nobody could possibly use more acronyms than the military... then I discovered this website. Seriously, just because you can abbreviate the name of an attraction, event, restaurant or hotel doesn't mean you should. It makes your writing much harder to comprehend, and every writing class I've ever taken emphasized first and foremost that the onus should be on the writer to make themselves more easily understood, it shouldn't fall on the reader to struggle with the meaning.

Yeah, that old bride was terrifying compared to the current one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom